Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Swimmers – cramps
  • Shred
    Free Member

Any swimmers on here managed to get cramping in feet and calves under control?

I have been swimming twice a week for about a year. I’m comfortable to swim 2k in under 40 minutes, but I keep getting cramps in my feet/calves. My toes/arch of foot can go quite regularly, but last night I had a hard cramp in the bottom of my calf where the Achilles attaches.

The only time I cramp on the bike is when I get cold. I ride with leg warmers/winter boots much more than most people to keep my legs and feet warmer else I can get really painful cramps.

So is this just a case of being stuck with cramping as soon as my legs get colder in the pool, or swimming in a wet suit/booties and look like a twit?

teef
    Free Member

I only get cramp in the feet when pushing off from the ends too hard. It could alternatively be dehydration – try taking a water bottle with you.

Shred
    Free Member

Its too often to be hydration, and a 40 minute swim should not really need to be drinking in the middle.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

fwiw – my feet (arches) were cramping regularly when scuba diving – big fins probably something to do with it. Advised to be well hydrated before going into the water and that seemed to work. Not so great when you need a pee at 30 metres though

mogrim

I usually get it when I haven’t been swimming for a while – lack of muscle tone + ankle flexibility are probably the cause.

Twodogs

My physio told me why this happens a couple of months ago…can’t remember what she said now 😀

Ro5ey
    Free Member

yeah … I think its pushing off the wall.

Swim in a circle

😀

salad_dodger

I’m assuming this happens during freestyle? Usually happens due to lack of flexibility in your ankles. Try and relax your ankles while you swim and keep them floppy if that makes sense. You can practice at home in front of the telly by sitting on the floor with your feet tucked under your bum so your toes point behind you.

All made sense when I wrote it…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Swimmers – cramps’ is closed to new replies.