Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Swift Or Cromoto Grande Fork (Maxle maybe); opinions please?
  • pj3y55
    Free Member

Am looking to fit a ~468mm rigid steel fork, and have narrowed it down to the Singular Swift or Salsa CromotoGrande, both similar weight and price. I’m 80 kgs when fully loaded up and wondered if one fork might be more forgiving/ compliant than the other? Also, anyone with experience of the Cromoto Grande Maxle version which is obviously more expensive, but worth it?

rOcKeTdOg

Singular fork is quite flexy, but in a good way (fore/aft) maxle would be stiffer but I’ve not noticed side to side flex on my Swift ones which is where a through axle usually wins

letmetalktomark

I would go with the Swift or either a std Cromoto.

I’m about 10kg heavier than you and find the std Cromoto and previously the a Swift fork fine.

As RD says predictable fore/aft movement.

I ran my std Cromoto with a bolt through 9/10mm QR thingy.

I found the ride a good deal more jarring (same wheel/tyre/route)

Std Cromoto for the win.

ratherbeintobago

I think they’ve changed the AC length on the Cromoto Grande this year – was 80mm suspension corrected; now 100mm.

Duffer
    Free Member

Can you still buy the Swift fork on it’s own? The Singular website only shows it as part of the Swift frameset.

shermer75
    Free Member

I can vouch for a Cromoto 20mm, lovely fork, but as above I think they’ve changed for this year- longer and possibly 15mm too

shermer75
    Free Member

Et voila. Doesn’t seem to be updated on the Salsa website yet

Cheezpleez

I have the Swift fork and like it lots. I’ve briefly tried the Salsa ones and they seem fairly similar.

The new Swift fork will take a 29+ tyre, if that matters to you. Sam said on FB that they’re available separately for £90 IIRC.

shermer75
    Free Member

£90 is a lot less than the £180 being asked for the cromoto maxle, although the qr cromoto is the same price. Can also take a 3.5″ tyre

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve had both (almost) back to back.

The Salsa is indeed stiffer/harsher, but it’s not to it’s detriment, it’s just a differnt feeling.

Not tried the maxle. Did (crash)land hard enough to rip the wheel out of the QR tabs once. But that’s a risk with any QR fork, and TBH I really did hit the landing sideways and very hard, if the QR hadn’t given I’m sure the wheel or fork would have.

Astheticaly the Swift looks like it suits skinnier frames better as it’s skinnier, the cromoto is physicaly bigger.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Swift Or Cromoto Grande Fork (Maxle maybe); opinions please?’ is closed to new replies.