Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Swift fork
  • Gotama
    Free Member

What am I doing wrong :?. Picked up a new swift frame last weekend and popped a set of wheels in it I already had and noticed it was dished off to one side. Although strange as i’d never noticed it before I put it down to the wheel. Now the new hoops have arrived its the same thing. It seems to be fine until I torque up the qr and then one fork leg bends more than the other and it ends up off centre. I’ll drop Sam an email but before I do just wanted to make sure I wasn’t doing something daft. Pics below…..

deus

check the dropouts for excess paint?
    when the QR is done up it moves the hub to the squint position.

maybe?

is the QR done up in both pictures?

very odd.

Gotama
    Free Member

Actually me being partial muppet. Just remembered that I took the pic and swapped the wheel around so the disc is on the wrong side on the pic where it’s in the middle. However it’s a brand new hoop and the other one was built recently by JRA and they both sit exactly the same in the forks. Are wheels built with a different amount of dish for suspension forks?

suffolk
    Free Member

It’s got to be optical distortion in the pics, but that wheel looks rather taco’d.

How wide do the dropouts measure on the front fork (qr off, wheel out)?

Have to say, something way off there – wheel properly seated?

Take the wheel out and look down the legs from above the stem cap – look straight?

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

The rim should sit centrally in the fork regardless of what fork your using; I had a similar issue with a Kona I had and the wheel needed redishing but having had several wheels from JRA they know their stuff and 2 separate wheels doing the same thing makes me think drop outs

shortcut

Try a different wheel or that wheel in a different fork (or a truing stand) so you can confirm where the issue is.

As someone above said it could well be paint!

Gotama
    Free Member

Definitely not taco’d, brand new hope hoop arrived today and the p35 I had in before was exactly the same.

It’s too dark to measure but there only seemed to be a mm, if two, slack in the forks when the hub was dropped in and not tight so must be there or thereabouts.

Wheel is definitely seated properly.

They look straight and I never looked at it and thought that’s odd when I was building it.

Gotama
    Free Member

The JRA wheel sits perfectly in the other bike so it’s definitely fork related. Plus as I say the hoop is fresh out of the box so for two wheels to do exactly the same is weird.

Will look at paint in the morning in case it’s really thick on one side but it seems well off for a bit of paint.

suffolk
    Free Member

Yes, just a distortion of the camera.

Wheel dish true/forks not – wheel offset will be toward other leg of fork if you flip it round.

Fork straight/wheel not – wheel will be offset to the same side when flipped.

Looks like the fork is off, contact Singular.

Gotama
    Free Member

Ok cheers guys, just wanted to check I wasn’t being daft. Will drop by the bike shop tomorrow and have a chat.

Dangerboy
    Free Member

I recently had exactly the same issue with a swift fork – thought I was losing my mind. Nothing to do with the wheel, it was fine in the old fork. I fixed it by being a bit less heavy handed when tightening the QR. Not ridden it much since then so not sure if it’s still like it or not – am riding in the morning so will check then!

Sam

Drop me a line and i’m sure we can get it sorted.

Dangerboy
    Free Member

In my case it looks like it was user error – there’s a small lip (like a cowl on a rear dropout but much smaller) that runs around the perimeter of the bit that you put the QR into.

If you’re imprecise (like I was) when you put the wheel into the fork, the edge of the large, flat circular section of the QR can rest on this lip rather than the bit inside the lip that it’s supposed to rest on.

Obviously, that sets everything wonky.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Swift fork’ is closed to new replies.