Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Swegway / hover board / scooter thingys
  • alibongo001

My eldest has got her heart set on a hoverboard from the big red fella.

There seems to be 2 sorts:
    1 overpriced (approx £200) from AMazon / ebay – cheap chinese quality with un named batteries etc

2, Very overpriced (3-600) branded ones with samsung or other branded batteries

Does anyone have any recommendations of a reasonably priced one that may last at least until Boxing day?

(I know this is STW so will expect the usual you can’t run them on the pavement and they are illegal on the road / get her doing excercise etc) all I really want is some buying advice from someone who has experience!
    Thanks!

hammerite
    Free Member

I’ll ask my nephew, his seems a pretty decent build quality and has so far lasted him a couple of months.

I had a go, didn’t kill me, although Jnr did his wrist and ended up being checked out at A&E (not broken, but was in pain for about week). Another one of my nephew’s friends fell off, broke her elbow and dislocated her shoulder!

alibongo001

ooops maybe some protective gear should be on the shopping list too!

alibongo001

Good morning Hive Mind!

Does anyone have any wisdom they can share on this?

fadda

I bought a “supersweg” – about £280 from the evil that is Amazon.

Arrived yesterday, seems well made, Samsung battery, instructions are fully comprehensible and it was charged up/worked when I gave it a go yesterday. UK seller too, but I see they’re currently unavailable… 😕

alibongo001

Only one experience in all of us?

(Thanks Fadda & Hammerite)

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I bought 2 a week or so ago

Samsung batteries
    UK fused plug

TBH they are pretty similar tech to RC cars so I am used to lipo batteries etc. If you search ebay you will also find that the parts are all available separately so they are repairable.

Anyhow I paid £210 for the balck one and £220 for the white one of same spec. Have tried but cant post a link to the ebay seller I got it off.

I have unboxed them and tried them out and they are much better quality than I was expecting

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Oh and it looks like anything from £170-£300 is the same generic model from china. My wife was in necastle metro and all the shops had them for upto £300 and guess what? Same as ours

hammerite
    Free Member

Spoke to nephew. He got his from a seller called Industry Club, thought it was coming from the UK but was shipped from China. It came with a UK charger.

He’s happy enough with it. Think he paid £240, but this was a few months ago.

onehundredthidiot

Isn’t there a question over legality in the UK?

hammerite
    Free Member

Over where you ride one yes OHI. They’re not illegal, but technically they shouldn’t be ridden on a road/path. The should really only be ridden on private property with the permission of the owner.

Although, I understand (happy to be corrected) that it’s a very old law written well before things like this existed, so I don’t think the police are doing very much about it.

onehundredthidiot

Nope you’re right old law. I just remembered hearing about it on the radio when they were talking about them.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Swegway / hover board / scooter thingys’ is closed to new replies.