Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Sweat
  • emma82
    Free Member

Hello
    I'm sure some of you super fit mountain bikers will be able to answer a question for me.

I go to a pole fitness class once a week and I always end up really hot and start sweating, its gross. I always notice that no one else in the class really gets sweaty like I do apart from occasionally the instructor does but she's working a lot harder than the rest of us students as she has to do the moves over and over again. I do think of myself as reasonably fit, I walk for 50/65 minutes fast pace every day, I go to the gym, ride bikes, I basically do a reasonable amount of exercise every day. So why, when I'm doing Pole which is not cardio in any way shape or form, it is all about strength building and twirling around a pole, do I sweat so much? 😳

I know the instructor goes to the gym quite a bit but other than her and one or two others, the other girls in the class aren't necessarily what you would call gym bunnies, some of them are quite unfit, either quite large or just not interested in cardio exercise and they do not get the same problem. My OH has just said that I might sweat because fit people do sweat more because your body is working properly and therefore its because I'm fit? I don't understand that necessarily. 🙄

so forum – do I sweat because I'm super fit and just didn't realise it or is everyone in the class super fit and I am actually a lazy moo and am in denial? :mrgreen:

RealMan
    Free Member

Some people sweat more then others. Its just how it is.

Maybe wear different clothing, something that keeps you cooler and wicks away sweat? Cold drinks will help cool you as well, and stop you sweating as much.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I have a feeling that the general consensus will be that this thread needs pics.

Harry_the_Spider

I guess when you say "Pole Fitness" it isn't full of plumbers.

flatfish
    Free Member

Pole dancing classes you say?
    Maybe it's just the bodies form of natural lubrication for the other half to take advantage of. 😯

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Trolling, Shirley?

nmdbase
    Free Member

I can just move and sweat my ass off, I went to the doctors and they said not to worry. Not that they know anything……

I didn't used to have this, my father has it too so for me it's a family thing but it can be thyroid related.

Ohh and i'm quite fit and not overweight!

donsimon
    Free Member

You get hot.
    You sweat.
    Everything seems to be working perfectly.

You could always use anti perspirant and keep it locked in the body, lovely!

nicko74

Trolling, Shirley?

Not at all, and don't call me Trolling.

Some people are just sweatier than others – embrace your sweatiness! Although interestingly I find that when I go to hot places, after a couple of days I stop sweating quite so much. Maybe due to drinking less fluid.

Cougar

I assumed the OP was from Poland. Ahem.

I'm male, 38, 5'10" and 11 stone, and if sweating was a recognised sport I'd be an Olympic contender. The reason I'm the size I am despite an unhealthy appetite for real ale and chip butties is, far as I can tell, that I have a rapid metabolism. I'm not exceptionally fit or unfit, but I always seem to be running 'faster' than most people.

For an extreme example of this, see Lee Evans. I bet that boy can eat for his country.

Cougar

As an aside, when I was growing up it was primarily my hands. They poured. Saying prayers in assembly, by the end of the lord's prayer it was running off my elbows.

Cue lots of abuse from other kids, childhood trauma, complex, etc etc, aside from the practical impact (try writing an essay with permanently wet hands; or, try taking up rock climbing as a hobby). Got taken to the doctor who said "he'll grow out of it." And I largely did, what he failed to mention was it'd take about 30 years.

Cougar

As another aside,

I think this is the first time I've openly thrown this into discussion in public, so I guess it's not just the physical effects that take 30 years to deal with.

Meh. As you were.

emma82
    Free Member

you lot make me laugh tis not a troll honest, if i wanted to troll I would say in response to Realman that I could wear some biking gear I suppose but that would cover too much flesh, you have to be pretty bare in order to stick to the pole. However, because I sweat so much I tend to slip off or down a fair bit. 😛

No Ian, no photos sorry….. Realman, I take loads of drink i.e. like a pint and a half and drink it all, no one else even usually takes anything!

Harry – I don't believe there are any plumbers sorry.

Flatfish, I think you are wrong.

I dont like being sweaty in that sort of situation, it feels normal in a gym when you are running your arse off but doing pole it doesnt seem right so I may just have to deodorise my whole body in future if there is nothing else that can be done. I did hear years ago that you could have your sweat glands removed?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Do any of the other girlies do the bright red face trick instead of sweating?

Cougar

I did hear years ago that you could have your sweat glands removed?

There is a medical condition called hyperhydrosis, which can be treated surgically by cutting or clamping a nerve in your chest; from memory it's the T3 or T4 nerve (or maybe it's between T3 and T4 ribs or something). It's a while since I looked into it.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Oooh I want to have an aside…

Some young 19 yr old girl (friend of a friend on facebook) has just started advertising her own mobile pole dancing lesson business…… she's going to get one hell of a surprise next Tuesday!

Jamie
    Free Member

Stop doing pole.

Next problem…..

househusband

Where's someone that comes along and suggests that this thread is useless without pictures when you need them..?

soobalias
    Free Member

sounds like you are sweating from tension.
    you will get used to it.

Jamie
    Free Member

househusband:

Where's someone that comes along and suggests that this thread is useless without pictures when you need them..?

Also where is the person who posts after only reading the OP's post….oh there they are! 😉

emma82
    Free Member

Tension? Soo-you mean like when you strain when you do weights or tense stressed out tension?
    TSY-you will be very disappointed if you go along I think. However, male pole dancers are truly awesome to watch, so strong. Google badazz pole dancing if you fancy giving it a go & want some inspiration.
    Cougar-might be a bit extreme just to help me out with pole dancing on reflection!

Cougar

Well, yeah. Having just read the link I posted, I've changed my mind myself.

You can get heavy duty anti-perspirants, might be the answer. Driclor and suchlike.

cinnamon_girl

This sounds just the ticket as I'm not riding and need a challenge. 😉

Emma – where can I purchase some 'suitable attire' as well as net curtains?

I'm sorry but don't know the answer to your question. 😳

meehaja
    Free Member

I never used to sweat very much at all. Now, the fitter I get the more I sweat (I also drink more water). Its an efficient way of cooling the body, just shows your body is used to exercise. climbing chalk will stop you slipping off the pole.

emma82
    Free Member

Cinnamon, give it a go it's wicked fun and a bit different. Just wear hot pant top type shorts, a bra you won't fall out of for inversions (upside downsies) and a vest top.Google pole classes, you'll soon find something in your area.
    Meehaja we have chalk, my friend wanted to cover me in it tonight let alone the pole!!

romster
    Free Member

You need one of those 118 118 outfits complete with wrist and head sweat bands! You could even buy a comedy tash to mop up the excess facial sweat. That's what i'm talkin bout willis!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I think I might sweat a bit too much for pole dancing classes, they wouldn't want my clammy mitts on their pole.
    Some would say I sweat like a fat b***h in a cake shop….. probably fairer to say I'd sweat like a single bloke at a pole dancing class!

cinnamon_girl

So … Yeti … you booked in for Tuesday?

What does a guy wear then? 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

C_G she's a mobile pole dance instructor… she's coming to me!
    To make her feel more comfortable I was thinking of wearing full drag?

samuri
    Free Member

I sweat a lot. I only have to look at a bike and I start sweating. I'm skinny and pretty fit. Just one of those things I guess. It's annoying certainly, especially when I'm in work and the temperature just gets a little bit high and out it all comes. I guess it might have got worse the fitter I've got. Dunno.

You're welcome to pictures of me sweating if you want.

cinnamon_girl

Yeti – I'm 😯

OK, avoid lycra at all costs. Bin liner?

Sounds more like singletracksordidworld to me. 🙄

Crosses TSY off daughter's suitor list

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

😆 But then you crossed that out too!

I'm not really taking private pole dancing lessons, but I sure as hell would not let any daughter of mine start up such a business… I mean just what sort of deviants would think of booking sessions? 😳

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

There's a possibility that there's now a psycho-somatic element to this. You worry that you sweat alot in this pole class, which causes anxiety and you now associate that pole class with sweating alot…therfore when you go into this class you don't have to actually DO very much before you're sweating like a…well…you know…

Of course it could just be that you sweat more than most. I'm told that it's something to do with having a very healthy lymphatic system…but that could be complete rubbish.

wee-al
    Free Member

I can only wear black or white t-shirts/shirts. As my underarms get ridiculous. Which is a shame as i'm freaking gorgeous otherwise obviously 😆

mogrim

I can only wear black or white t-shirts/shirts. As my underarms get ridiculous. Which is a shame as i'm freaking gorgeous otherwise obviously

I'd hope so, if you're wandering about with just a t-shirt on.

emma82
    Free Member

I wouldn't say it was for deviants, she probably wouldnt go to blokes who she didnt know, our instructor does private sessions but not at home but she does get to know the people first I guess, but like I say it's always at the studio. Big money to be made in teaching pole at the moment, my instructor makes a frigging killing! One of the girls who works at class brings her daughter, she's 16 an been doing it two years and she's amazing, cinnamon you should take your daughter, she could double death lay (that's a move) with TSY!

Think I'm just going to have to accept that I am just a sweaty Betty from now on then,'perhaps I should wear sure for men!! That's bound to be stronger than the womens stuff no?

mogrim

Think I'm just going to have to accept that I am just a sweaty Betty from now on then,'perhaps I should wear sure for men!! That's bound to be stronger than the womens stuff no?

Then you'd smell like a man!

Went to spinning yesterday, the puddle under the bike at the end of the class was far worse than usual – and far worse than under my relatively unfit mate's bike… Perhaps you're just trying/working harder than the others in the class?

emma82
    Free Member

I don't think so, we all have a fair go. Think I'm just sweaty 🙁
    Just so you don't all think I'm totally gross I'm not always sweaty, it's only exercise related!!! And it doesn't smell either, ever which I've been told is a bit weird? Sorry, too much information probably 🙂

mogrim

If you're clean when you start sweat doesn't smell. It gets smelly when you don't wash it off!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Sweat’ is closed to new replies.