• This topic has 28 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by ton.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Swearing on the forum
  • sanctimoniousasshat
    Free Member

I'm at a loss to understand the moderation of swearing on this forum.

Firstly, numerous methods are used to circumvent the auto-filter, shite, ****, **** etc – which then go happily unmoderated.

Secondly, why do they even bother moderating swearing? If we consider that you only need to take a fleeting dip into such mainstream dailies as the Guardian to find expletives which would make a sailor blush, why is Singletrack trying to hold itself up as a torchbearer for linguistic nicety on the forum? Is Chipps a prude?

It's a healthy, expressive element of our language. Why the muzzle?

edit: OK, so c n u t when written as one word doesn't get through…

Pook

Based on your username I suspect that
    a) you've had a ban
    b) it was for swearing

bassspine
    Free Member

I have to admit I don't understand it either, but it's not my forum so I happily play along.

**** @r5e &*^%

theflatboy
    Free Member

i'm sure i wrote the word a rude word the other day, assuming that it would bc asterisked, yet it wasn't.

finbar
    Free Member

Go **** yourself with a **** damn liberal ****ing **** with a **** ****.

yunki
    Free Member

I'm guessing it's because although swearing is a valid form of expression.. it's very much open to abuse..

song.. insults.. art.. and even sex are also valid forms of expression.. but these too are extremely unpleasant when overused or used out of context by clumsy wielders..

uplink
    Free Member

They also ban you for swear filter avoidance

just a thought 😆

pedalhead
    Free Member

iPeople often don't have the same social graces as they would when dealing with people in real life. This place is only just about bearable as it is, if it was filled with un-asterixed potty mouths, I think that'd be the final straw.

oldgit
    Free Member

Standards are low enough as they are.

Mild swearing towards an inanimate object is okay, but I wouldn't want someone to be able to call me anything they wanted.

It would be a slipery slope sir.

Jamie
    Free Member

Pook – Member
    Based on your username I suspect that:

They are a current user logging in under another name.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

My personal fav ****

Damn they've wisened up to my potty mouth.

Pook

They are a current user logging in under another name.

i know

theflatboy
    Free Member

oldgit – Member
    I wouldn't want someone to be able to call me anything they wanted.

It would be a slipery slope sir.

i see what you mean – being called a slippery slope cuts like a knife. 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

i know

Ok then.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but it's not my forum so I happily play along.

a curiously passive attitude! The users make the forum regrdless of who might nominally 'own' it, and it exists to meet our needs and entertain us enough to keep us looking at the ads.

BigJohn

1) Why do the things we're fondest of make the rudest words?

2) I really don't get the use of the phrases "the F word", the C word" etc. Surely they just invoke those words in the mind of the listener. The other week on that awful Richard Bacon's show he used the phrase "C word" about 20 times, yet apologised profusely to listeners when one of his guests said "buggered".

Tiger6791

can you say Scunthorpe?

ton

seriously, if people are offended by swear words they need to give their heads a shake………..ffs 🙄

househusband

…and while we're at it, can we have a special filter that sorts out misspelling of 'lose' as 'loose' – and vice versa.

And yes I'm being pedantic; pedagogy is my profession.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i agree entirely big john – i always think the same thing. the same with asterisks. you read the word the same anyway, so the implication is that it's the sight of the letters themselves that shocks and disgusts.

signifiers, semantics and all that.

oldgit
    Free Member

A friend was telling me about a discussion he was having about being PC. At one point the host remarked 'you should never use the N****r word'. 'I think you meant to say, you should never use the 'N' word' my mate replied.

Jamie
    Free Member

1) Why do the things we're fondest of make the rudest words?

Cake?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

shite is not swear filter avoidance – its what is said here instead of shit

oldgit
    Free Member

ton I'm not offended by the words as such just their use. I'll use the foulest of language in the right place and at the right time, but open use of the worse swearing is out of order.
    You've got kids, imagine being sat in lets say a McDonalds with your kids or grandchild? and the people next to you were using the worst language they could very loudly, then surely you wouldn't be happy.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Nice to keep swearing off the forum IMO, I don't see a need in public life.

coffeeking
    Free Member

It's a healthy, expressive element of our language. Why the muzzle?

Because it's not necessary or helpful or healthy to swear often, it makes you look like an idiot generally, and it's a family forum open to younguns who shouldn't have to wade through foul-mouthed moronic rambling. It seems the internet has a tendency to sink to the lowest common denominator fairly rapidly, without some level of policing, and so it's nice to be somewhere where it's only used infrequently, where appropriate and humourous/used to add effect, rather than as the norm.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Seriously, if people are unable to express themselves without swear words they need to give their heads a shake……….. 🙂

ton

oldgit, i agree with you mate, i would not be happy.
    but most of the swearing on here is usually of a comic nature, and usually used when people are trying to get a laugh, or are having a petty bicker.

ton

BigDummy – Member
    Seriously, if people are unable to express themselves without swear words they need to give their heads a shake………..

bastid………. 😀

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Swearing on the forum’ is closed to new replies.