Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • swapping hoses over on xt brakes
  • joe1983
    Free Member

Bought some lovely XT brakes (m765) off the classifieds yesterday and now need to swap the hoses over as they are set up euro style. Anyone done this or know of a good guide?

Ta

Joe

z1ppy

undo the hose locking nuts, carefully remove the hoses (I think you need to give them a good tug, sure someone on here suggested a clever way to do this carefully but I forget), keeping thehoses upright and swap them over… it may work or you might need to bleed them if you unlucky.

It’s not complicated, and if you need to bleed them, forget buy the £59 bleed kit, just buy some Halford’s own mineral brake oil (or mineral hydraulic fluid) and a length of platic tubeing, and a tiny tiny 7mm(?) spanner to undo the bleed bolt… and bleed them like you would any other motorbike/car brake system.

joe1983
    Free Member

cool cheers z1ppy, hopefully all goes to plan after lunch!

100mphplus
    Free Member

Prior to undoing any locking nuts, take the pads out and pump the pistons together.

Now change the hoses at the lever ends and when you push the pads apart they will self bleed pushing any air into the reservoir 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

I had a complete mare trying to get the hose out of the lever on my M770s. It would not shift. Lots of wiggling and pulling ensued. Finally gave up trying to save the hose and cut it so there was about an inch of hose that i could attach molegrips to and pulled like buggery!
    It looked like the olive wasnt square so had been deformed at an angle by the lock nut, which meant it fouled the threads and jammed.

DezB
    Free Member

remove the hoses (I think you need to give them a good tug, sure someone on here suggested a clever way to do this carefully but I forget)

Squeeze the lever 🙂

z1ppy

thats the one Dezb, and 100mphplus comment is great, to save youself having to bleeding them.

retro83
    Free Member

Prior to undoing any locking nuts, take the pads out and pump the pistons together.

If I did that to mine, the pistons would fall out, or do you mean to stick something (yellow shimano block thingy) inbetween first?

joe1983
    Free Member

Glad I checked the thread before I jumped in. Also I cant find this magical lock nut thing at the lever end, just a plastic cover on the hose butting up to the lever, which doesn’tseem to want to move. There is a nut at the caliper end which looks like if I undid it I could remove the hose, is that what you mean’t or have I missed something?

z1ppy

the plastic cover will slide down the hose, reveiling the locking nut to the lever.

Have patience, my young padawan… 😀

joe1983
    Free Member

thanks again!

spooky_b329

You only need to pump the pistons out a mm or so before removing the levers. When refitted you only need to ever so slightly squeeze one piston so a small blob of fluid forms on the end of the hose before reattaching. You really don’t want it squirting across the room or into your eye!

r6ymy
    Free Member

Pull hard on the plastic cover, there is a nut underneath it.

theotherjonv

Do you trust the olive and nut to form a good seal again when you do this?

I thought the point of the soft (brass) olive was to deform into the lever housing and make a seal, but it was a one off use. That’s why they’re ‘hard’ to pull out again, n’est-ce pas?

z1ppy

ahh whack it up tight, it’ll be fine.

alpin
    Free Member

how much of a good tug do i need to give the hoses to pull äem out. SLX brakes. swapping over the hoses.

how hard to pull without ruining something…._

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘swapping hoses over on xt brakes’ is closed to new replies.