• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by alanl.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Suzuki Wagon R+ – how bad?
  • deejayen
    Free Member

What goes wrong with these, and is a 2000 model year one with 70,000 miles likely to be riddled with rust and have problems which are expensive to fix?

Also, even if the paint on the outside looks okay could it be harbouring terminal rust in its sills?

the-muffin-man

Suzuki Wagon R+ – how bad?

How bad? I’d say you’re pretty desperate and need to seek help!* 😀

There must be another car you can purchase!?

(*unless you are 70+ and have a tartan blanket to cover the back seat!)

nickhit3
    Free Member

I’d rather make my own car. And i know FA about cars.

perchypanther
    Free Member

They can’t be that bad. The Royal Mail use them as company cars….

kimbers

A surfer guy had one on holiday, the seat rearranging options looked pretty impressive, he had a bodykit on it to try and save face

deejayen
    Free Member

I know! My cheeks are burning at the thought of being seen behind its wheel! I’d hope that even if I was 70 I’d feel a sense of shame… However, I’ve seen a good few of them knocking about in recent days, along with the Vauxhall Agila variant, so perhaps they’re not too bad. I spotted two in Aviemore last night, and one may have belonged to a mountain biker…

ajantom

I had the (slightly less than) 1L version of the Agila for nearly 6 years.

Plus points – low tax band, runs forever on hardy any fuel, no frills (so nothing to go wrong!), amazing amount of space with the seats down for such a little car, loads of headroom (my 6’5″ mate still had a couple of inches spare in the front), no-one will steal it!

Minus points – not a drivers car, doesn’t like hills (the 1L version anyway), mine didn’t even have a CD player or line input, noisy at speed (over 65mph), people will laugh at you.

I absolutely loved mine, it was ridiculous and so unfashionable that it was almost cool. I could also be loaded to the gunnals and just kept on going, albeit quite slowly.
    We once delivered a 4K PA rig to a festival – subs, tops, poles, amps, etc. all fitted in the back + two of us and our kit!

bikebouy
    Free Member

If, I mean if everyone hates you driving one (not that you should care) then go buy one. As mentioned they’ve got lots of space, teeny engine and a bump/all no cares ding mentality.

or one of these:

Chips are cheap, then there is the Wagon R and this ^

Gary_M
    Free Member

My father in law had a Vauxhall Agila, it was truly awful, worst car I have ever driven. Noisy, wobbly, completely under powered. I’m not that fussed about cars and not a ‘petrol head’ but it was really really terrible.

I wouldn’t.

servo
    Free Member

My wife has one! 😀
    She’s a gardener and it is perfect for transporting all the tools, lawnmower etc.

It is a 1.3 GL from 2003.
    Very bumpy ride on small wheels close together.
    Red paint has faded really badly but had no rust problems mentioned on MOT.
    Some people have complained that the roof leaks where the rails are fitted but no problem for us. To be honest, very dirty inside now so we probably wouldn’t notice it.

We bought it in 2009 and it was 6 years old and had only done 11,000 miles.

Had the cam belt done and tyres replaced as they were just old. Now done 30,000 miles. Had the air bag recall done a few years ago.

One downside is the road tax is £190 quid a year which is more than my car!

deejayen
    Free Member

Thanks! I checked last night, and I think the road tax on a 2000 one will be £150! Cars first registered before 2001 have a fixed charge based on engine capacity rather than emissions.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I would be more concerned about what it would be like in a crash. I can’t find an ncap result but I doubt it would be a good vehicle to be hit in. I’d leave it to the grannies popping down the shops than risking my neck in that heap of …..

angeldust
    Free Member

I absolutely loved mine, it was ridiculous and so unfashionable that it was almost cool

It wasn’t.

maccruiskeen

I know! My cheeks are burning at the thought of being seen behind its wheel!

Heated seats? Posh.

alanl
    Free Member

I had one for a year, and passed it on to my parents who still have it.
    Generally, pretty good motors. Bigger inside than you think, I had a Freelander before, the interior of the Wagon R was only 50mm shorter in length and around 75mm in width.
    We did trips all over the Country in that time, what is limiting is the top speed, which is not much above 90, does 70 fine, but is slow to accelerate above 70.
    The petrol fill pipe was the only corrosion on mine (02 reg.), a common problem on them.
    We took it to Scotland with 2 kayaks on the roof, it coped fine. Petrol consumption was not good though, 40mpg at best.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Suzuki Wagon R+ – how bad?’ is closed to new replies.