Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Suzuki Jimny, anyone owned one?
  • Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

I live in a rural location in France. A few times since I have been here a small 4×4 would have been useful. Many years ago I had a couple of the SJ410/413s and thought they were rather good, so was wondering about a Jimny. Anyone have any experience of them, good or bad?

globalti
    Free Member

They are well respected in the world of 4×4 off road driving, as much as Land Rovers by some.

jerseychaz

There was a post on here some while ago – worth a search. I’ve had one as a work vehicle. Pretty capable off-road but on road they are very bouncy, small and not particularly comfortable, also surprisingly thirsty when driven “enthusiastically”. I’m in rural France as well and have toyed with the idea of having one for “work-related” duties but haven’t seen many around.

onandon
    Free Member

Reading with interest as I’m in Geneva on the French boarder. I was thinking about one of these for the winter to get me up the mountains and as a dedicated car for biking.

smokey_jo

Aren’t Dusters ten a penny over there and the left hand drive ones don’t come with the factory fitted tin worm

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Our panda 4×4 is definitely small, remarkably pleasant to drive (even at 6’4″ just don’t sit behind me) and they’re pretty off road capable…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCAeGJ6bwVI[/video]

Edit: And tight fit admittedly but i managed to get a filling cabinet orange 5 29er in it to go up to ard rock (both wheels off mind)

stevemtb
    Free Member

My mate’s wee sister had one, used to turn up at home in floods of tears on windy nights. High sides and short, narrow wheelbase made it a bit frightening apparently.

Seen them do some pretty impressive stuff offroad. I’d definitely have one, lifted with bigger wheels please.

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Thanks everyone.

Globalti – thank you, I had heard that as well, and certainly the SJ was excellent off road.

Jerseychaz – I’ll have a search for the thread, thanks. There are a few around here (Haute Vienne), not lots but enough to notice them. But I might even buy a UK model and import. It’s a relatively easy process and I am not bothered which side of the vehicle I sit on. I had noticed the fuel figures are not great but I do such a low mileage it really wouldn’t matter. Do you know if all the models have “selective” 4WD? I would only need it on the chemins so it would be a useful feature.

Smokey Jo – There are an amazing amount around. Are they now French owned? I know nothing about them but maybe I should look in to them as an option.

Dangeourbrain – I think the Panda will be a little too small, but thank you anyway.

trail_rat
    Free Member

As a car I’d have a duster over a jimny any day.

But for offfroad play thing I’d have a Jimmy.

They are horrid places to be on the road. A mates had a string of them buys them for about 1000 keeps them for a year then they fail not on rusty monocoque so he flogs em for scrap/offroad toys.

smokey_jo

Duster is an old Clio platform with the Renault dci engine and x-trail AWD system. X-trails are popular in France too so parts should be easy enough even in rural France.

Not off-roaded mine but it’s getting 40+mpg and it’s stable on the motorway in shit weather.

1st gear is very low but no hi-low box, 6th gear is similar to the 5th in most cars.

Boot height means you have to lay the bike down but my FS 26er goes in with both wheels on. Road bike needs the front wheel off though. 4 bikes with fronts off should be easy enough.

RustyNissanPrairie

Jimnys are great, reliable, rugged, basic, crude onroad, good off-road.

A culture shock if your coming from anything half decent

mattsccm
    Free Member

The wife bought ours new in 04. Been my daily drive since 09. I won’t sell it. Exhaust back boxes are all I have replaced. Ride is a bit hard at times but otherwise fine. Talk of poor quality ride is nonsense from those who only drive super plush executive stuff. Its a car for Britain where 70 is the limit and driving at speed is wrong. Took it camping all over Scotland 2 up. Fuel is nothing special 40 mpg is doing well.
    Not comparable with Duster which is bigger, more car like and only has rudimentary 4wd like other modern cars. The Jim has the same set up a a Series Land Rover.2 RWD Or 4 WD high or low. Goes anywhere with decent tyres. Just wish it was diesel.. Try one out , it may or may not suit you.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Talk of poor quality ride is nonsense from those who only drive super plush executive stuff

First time my ninety’s been called super plush and executive.

I’d go with crashy , suceptable to wind , under powered and noisy.

I stand by my I’d have a duster over a jimny unless I was trialing. … Where their under powered engine is routinely swapped out for a 1600 from a vitara and the tranny box swapped to cope with wheels that are not castor wheels to stop it getting stuck in ruts created by bigger vehicles.

therealthing
    Free Member

Talk of poor quality ride is nonsense from those who only drive super plush executive stuff.

Disagree. On road, the ride is awful, compared to almost anything else.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I think the Panda will be a little too small, but thank you anyway.

There’s very little in it vs the Jimney. It may even be a little bigger. Comfort wise there is no comparison. I used to take my old Panda green laning. It surprised a few landy drivers…

jkilner
    Free Member

Suzuki Jimmy’s are very capable and no problem at all in the wind. Cheep to run and easy to maintain. Stick some wheel spacers in it if you’re worried about the narrow track of the vehicle. As good as any Landover off road. J

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Suzuki Jimny, anyone owned one?’ is closed to new replies.