Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Sussex downs – recommend classic route
  • paultheweatherman
    Free Member

Hi,

I will be near Brighton at the weekend with my bike. I am wondering if anyone could recommend a classic mountain bike ride for the area. I would only have train as transport. I do not know the area at all.

Hopefully I would be able to map the recommendation onto an OS map.

Thanks,
    Paul

kbomb
    Free Member

Depends what you’re into.

Its hard to go wrong with the South Downs Way though. Ride up Dyke Road to Devil’s Dyke, then head East for as long as you fancy. Alfriston is a good turn around and has a great village store, or carry on to Eastbourne and get the train back to Brighton (check they’re running). Nothing particularly technical, but lots of climbing and great views, you’ll be knackered by the time you get there. Easy to follow but worth taking an OS map as there are a few easy to miss turns.

wwaswas

Or over to Friston along the Downs and then a play in the woods plus ride home.

If you want a play in the woods Sunday morning before setting out for something more epic there’s a group of us meet in Stanmer park just outside Brighton for 2 hours singletrack – dm me for details.

muggomagic

There’s also the route Jenn did in the mag a long while back. Seems like the route section no longer works on here but someone might be able to find the route gpx or a map of it for you.

muggomagic

Wwaswas always on the look out for fresh meat 😆

slowster
    Free Member

Train to Amberley with your bike, and then ride back to Brighton along the South Downs Way.

belugabob
    Free Member

If you’re going to do part of the route by train, do this first – that way, if the train isn’t running (or is cancelled), then you’re not faced with a long ride back, whilst knackered.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Yep, the SDW is good, easy to follow but I’d check which way the wind is going first then get a train east or west so you’ve got a tail wind back to Brighton, it’s quite open up on the downs and slogging against a wind for 3 or 4 hours gets on ya t!ts after a while 😀 or if there’s no wind choice is yours.

tomaso
    Free Member

Riding to Eastbourne is a good route and gets you a good dose of download ranging. Finish off in Paradise Woods for the dirt jumps to show the yoof how it’s done.
    Like Stanmer in Brighton there are lots of trails I the woods following the downs north out of Eastbourne.
    Frisson Forest has some good stuff that is worth a look.

paultheweatherman
    Free Member

Hi all

Many thanks for your recommendations. Really useful. I aprpeciate it greatly.

Paul

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Sussex downs – recommend classic route’ is closed to new replies.