Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Suspension tuning questions – Rockshox content
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Trek Superfly FS 100 2013 bought as frame
    Fork: 2010 Rebas with pushloc
    Rear: RS Monarch RL
    Rider weight: 86kg
    Current fork pressure: 105psi in both chambers
    Current shock pressure: 155psi

1) At lower pressures the fork is supple but has too much sag and dives too much, but at higher pressures (120) it’s too firm and knocks me off line (slightly) on steep rocky bits.

Does one run less in the -ve chamber than the positive? Should I use lighter oil, since I cannot reduce compression damping? Should I put some oil over the piston to make the rate ramp up? Or perhaps oil *under* it to reduce -ve chamber volume?

2) This is more annoying – the shock never goes near full travel and just ramps up too much, even if I set the pressure so low that I get too much sag and it wallows. It still ramps up. Am I likely to find tokens in it?

The shock may not be original since the picures I can find of the bike have a Fox shock on, so it may not be optimatlly set up.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm, you can get tokens for forks too. Do I want to *add* them? Lower equal pressure in both chambers then add a token? Hmm.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Does one run less in the -ve chamber than the positive?

In my experience you need to do the opposite with dual air forks. Pump the +ve up enough to stop them bottoming, then overfill the -ve chamber slightly to improve small bump performance.

Trial and error is the best approach, PSI reading is very inaccurate on the -ve chamber given the pressure loss when you remove the pump compared to the small size of the air chamber.

Tokens will also help if you can add them, as they will help prevent bottom out meaning you don’t have to put so much air in.

molgrips
    Free Member

Pump the +ve up enough to stop them bottoming, then overfill the -ve chamber slightly to improve small bump performance.

Too much sag then, makes me too low at the front.

Do fork tokens reduce maximum travel?

molgrips
    Free Member

Ah.. looks like for Rebas tokens are only for solo air versions – I have dual air (I think?

hols2
    Free Member

In my experience you need to do the opposite with dual air forks. Pump the +ve up enough to stop them bottoming, then overfill the -ve chamber slightly to improve small bump performance

That’s my experience too.

razorrazoo

Not sure if your shock is new enough to have the tuning bands under the air sleeve. I’ve recently bought at used frame and the RS Monarch Debonair shock was ramping far too much just like yours, I checked it yesterday and found 6 bands in it. Removed 2 and totally transformed the ride.

breninbeener

How can you tell which series/age of Monarch can take tuning bands?

molgrips
    Free Member

My shock definitely doesn’t have a second O ring to remove to slide an outer sleeve down. So I am outta luck. Maybe If I dismantle it there’ll be something I can do but I doubt it. Increase the rate by adding oil maybe, but not decrease it.

Re the fork – anyone using Rebas with the sag markings on – mine only just reveals the 10% mark even if I let the air out of the negative and extend the fork.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Suspension tuning questions – Rockshox content’ is closed to new replies.