Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Suspension set up???
  • Leighgregory
    Free Member

Hello everyone,

I have had my 1st full sus for about a month now. A Trek ex 8. To start with I just went with the recommendations on the Trek web site, since then I have reduced the air in the forks and rear shock and played a little with the rebound!
    I can see and feel difference but can’t decide how is best to have them set up!
    At the moment My rear is set to 170 and front to 70. After a decent trail like cwm carn / Afan the rubber ring is VERY close to the bottom so I know I'm using the full travel…The front forks have about 10mm left before they use the full travel!
    If anyone could point me in the right direction to go from here I'd be very grateful…

Thanks

Leigh

richmtb

Sound like you have it pretty much bang on!

titusrider
    Free Member

go slightly fast (less damping) with rebound on the front and slightly slow (more damping) with rebound on the back
    keeps the front end up and stops the back end throwing you over the bars
    When I say slightly thats from the reference of a middle ground.

otherwise unless you are finding it too soft bottoming out is a good thing (although i really struggle to bottom out air forks unless they are silly soft) I was recommended 3 (gentle) bottom outs per technical ride and you probly have it about right

Sorry otherwise as above – whats wrong with it now?

molgrips
    Free Member

.The front forks have about 10mm left before they use the full travel!

You can hardly ever get the last bit on air forks. Only Pace seem to let you do this in my experience.

Best thing is to make a change, then ride with it for a few weeks. Then you'll really get to understand it without the memory of the previous setting making it seem weird by contrast.

Took me a year or two to get my bikes dialled in.

richmtb

If you have only had it a month it might need a couple more rides to bed in. My Pikes were pretty harsh for the first few rides

LoCo
    Free Member

Hi check out the Loco setup guide here any other issues not solved by this drop me a line.

http://www.locotuning.co.uk/tech-info.html

tron
    Free Member

There's a good idea in Brian Lopes' technique book, from a Fox tech guy.

You start at the extreme settings, then try one just over half way from the setting that felt best, and iterate from that.

LoCo
    Free Member

Best set the rebound at ful slow and go up a click at a time, starting at full fast may not be very good idea, depending on where your testing your setup 😀

Leighgregory
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips guys, very helpful!

jools182
    Free Member

I don't understand that Brain Lopes graph at all

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Suspension set up???’ is closed to new replies.