Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Suspension seat posts – worth it?
  • House
    Free Member

Riding in a Gorrick at the weekend on my hardtail and my lower back started killing me. Suspect much of it is riding style, but also noticed most of the competition were riding full suss. Not in the market for a full suss at the mo but wondered if a suspension seat post would be worth a try. Thoughts?

Cheers!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I used one for 24 hr races – a thudbuster, I wouldn't bother for normal 4-6 hr rides

cynic-al
    Free Member

I wouldn't give mine up. I have FS too.

mt
    Free Member

I used one for a while and it was a success for a back problem. Used it on long rides when the back issue got pretty bad (over 3 hours). The bike was a Pace RC200, though a brilliant frame there was little give. It was fast though.

MrTall
    Free Member

I've just put my Thubuster into my Rigid 29er Inbred and it does take the edge off the harshness and gives a more comfortable ride. Used to have it in my old Trek hardtail and it also made that far more comfortable.

Not the lightest or best looking post out there but i thinks it's the best. Well worth a try if you can get hold of one to test. After a while you just forget it's there as it works so well over the smaller bumps. It's only when you switch back to a rigid post you realise how well the Thudbuster was working.

Tasso
    Free Member

My Mrs has competed at a fairly high level in marathon events and swears by them on a hardtail. She has had Rock shox, USE and thudbusters but they all wear out and go sloppy pretty quickly.

That would do my nut in but she just gets on with it and smiles when I complain of an aching back.

Full sus is always going to be better but at significantly more cost.

House
    Free Member

Thanks guys

Tasso – sounds like your Mrs has tried a few of them – which would she recommend?

trail_rat
    Free Member

a suspension post or even full sus wont counteract for weak core and back muscles.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I've had my Thudbuster for 6 years. I sold my USE after a few months.

House
    Free Member

Thanks Trail_rat – you are right of course – I am also probably spending too much time in the saddle and riding too tense – other than that I suspect I am perfect! (looks up threads for skills training…). Good reminder that I need to get myself off to that Pilates course… 🙂

Tasso
    Free Member

Well the Rock shox one is no longer available, the USE one lasted 10 minutes and the Thudbuster weighs as much as a full sus frame (well nearly).

Your choice is really limited to one – the Thudbuster. Most sensible action, it works and can be rebuilt. It's a Heffer though.

Tasso
    Free Member

Of course a Ti/Carbon post and some bigger volume tyres at lower pressures might be just as good.

Scottlacey
    Free Member

Cane creek Thudbuster with cover and spare elastermers. 27.2mm * 400mm
    Good condition with the normal marks where it has had a rear light and the tube has been inserted into the frame.
    £65 posted (paypal gift)

kaiser
    Free Member

Scottlacey….can you mail me re the thudbuster please (mail in profile)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Suspension seat posts – worth it?’ is closed to new replies.