Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Suspension Posts?
  • teadrinker
    Free Member

Are they any good? Pondering getting one but just wondered if anyone still rides with on here? Do they make much difference at all? Not sure if I want to splash out on a FS frame 😕

Mrtrotter
    Free Member

I’ve used a few in the past. They allow you to keep sat down on the bumpy stuff more (small bumpy stuff anyway). Most sus posts seem to develop a bit of sideways play and of course add a bit of weight. USE & Rockshox ones were ok. Thudbuster gave the most bump absorbtion but I couldn’t get used to my seat actually moving back in an arc, especially riding uphill. I just stick to a normal post and run bigger tyres/lower pressures now. You could also try a more padded saddle too.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

You need to make sure your saddle is centrally positioned over the telescopic ones for optimal function, and probably an XC steepness seattube helps.

I have had a couple of USE XCR posts – neither developed any play and they got quite a bit of usage. Over small bumps they are probably faster reacting than an FS unless your FS is very good – the DU bushing on the rear shock of an FS can act to provide some stiction.

If you hold the top of one as you ride you will be surprised at the amount of movement it soaks up.

Didn’t take me long on an alu HT before I got my first one, makes a world of difference.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I like the thudbuster – the way it moves reduces the change in distance from the BB to the seat so it bobs less and feels more natural to me.

MrTall
    Free Member

Like my Thudbuster as well, excellent bit of kit although as above, not everybody gets on with them.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Both myself and the good lady have a USE post, we don’t tend to notice them in use, but you sure notice when you ride a similar bike without one! No good on proper rough stuff, just takes the sting out of the sections you’d be sitting in normally.

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

I have a USE post – certainly takes the sting out of rough bridleways, canal paths etc. – it really helps if the surface is rock-hard but I’d say it’s not an essential item for (some) trail centers and smoother trails.

Certainly not a substitue for full suspenders, though.

The one I have is an old, basic model – easy to service & clean compared to my FS bike!

I

Steelfreak
    Free Member

Another vote here for the USE XCR (with ‘Sumo’ clamp)…

I tried a Thudbuster but, like MrTrotter, couldn’t get used to the ‘swaying’ action. The USE is unobtrusive in action (if set up right) and easy to service. (Mine developed play after much use, easily cured with a self-service bush kit.)

marvincooper

I love my Thudbuster, I was totally happy with it from the first ride, it allows me to sit on rough stony tracks that I had to stand for before. Wouldn’t want to be without it now, and it has stopped my hankering desire for a full suss. Never had any other type of suspension post but as far as I am concerned you couldn’t get much better than the Thudbuster.

snowpaul
    Free Member

I have a thudbuster on one of my HTs = its superb – am saving up for one to put on my other HT – I do long day / multi day rides in the lakes / mid wales etc = its superb for ‘ trekking XC ‘ routes as I am much less tired / sore butted by the end of the day – also been thrown down Helvellyn / Ingleborough / Skiddaw / Cadair Idris / Snowdon = so yep I love mine.

try it

paul

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Suspension Posts?’ is closed to new replies.