Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Suspension help?
  • Daffy

I’ve just sold a set of forks (2015 Talas 36 150mm) and the new owner is claiming that they’re:

sucking down on the negative air chamber as one of the seals is not working properly. This limits the travel to 140 or less. I already have forks that do that and bought these to go up to 150mm travel.

and are requesting £160 back for a service of the fork… The forks haven’t been used much (6-7 times) and whilst admittedly, I didn’t check the travel prior to selling, the Talas system seemed to be working perfectly (better than all my previous Talas forks…

Does this sound likely or am I being fleeced? I have no reason to doubt their statement (other than the excessive cost of the service) but am confused…

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

not sure y’r ad of stating mint condition (which I would take to mean in addition to cosmetics work as it should) helps you.

Perhaps offer to take them back?

legend
    Free Member

I might be mistaken, but isn’t the negative spring in TALAS a coil? Certainly looks like it here unless there’s also an air spring in play somewhere: http://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=bike&id=159

If correct, feel free to correct him and question how he’s measuring the travel

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

good point legend – I meant to add has the buyer already sent the fork for service – as in how has he arrived at his/her conclusion?

julians
    Free Member

Tell him you’ll accept the forks back and refund him his money (assuming forks are in same condition as when you sent them to him). But do not give him any money for the ‘service’.

I think that’s all you have to do to comply with eBay terms. It sounds like a scam to me, if a full refund is not good enough for him then it’s Deffo a scam

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve had this so many times selling stuff on eBay, the old ‘partial refund’ scam.

Personally when it comes to anything now I note the serial number before I sell.

First sniff of a “it’s not quite what I expected” I’ll offer a full refund and nothing else.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

did this sell on ebay?

julians
    Free Member

If it wasnt sold on eBay, then it’s a case of buyer beware,but if your feeling generous then offer a refund. Just make sure he’s not sending you a broken set of forks back

martinhutch

How did he arrive at £160 for a service? Where does he say he’s sent them off to?

Daffy

Yes – eBay. The buyer has taken them to NWMTB as he believed they were “short in the stanchion” as soon as he removed them from the box…and it’s NWMTB who’re saying it needs a service. I’ve not yet spoken to NWMTB, but Mojo are quoting £89+6 postage for a service, not £160.

They’re definitely 150mm forks (according to the Fox ID) but the buyer is stating that the measurement (i’ve not yet determined how this was taken) is less than 140mm.

Daffy

julians – Member
    If it wasnt sold on eBay, then it’s a case of buyer beware,but if your feeling generous then offer a refund. Just make sure he’s not sending you a broken set of forks back

I’m not willing to do that to someone, I’ll pay for the service or refund, if there’s definitely something wrong with the fork, but is there?

chakaping
    Free Member

Take the fork back and get it warrantied?

I’ve previously bought a fork which arrived leaking oil. I believed the seller had sold it in good faith and we decided to split the cost of a service (£40 each), as I was ending up with a “better” product than I had paid for.

woolymonster
    Free Member

Hi Daffy,

The TALAS 5 cart has a plastic lower (can’t remember for the life of me what the correct terminology is now!), which in some cases was manufactured with a defined edge. This can in some cases get stuck when deep into the travel and under sidewards load – These are rare cases. It gives the impression that it is ‘stuck down’. The TALAS cart would ordinarily run a higher pressure and most of the time it is caused by someone running too low pressure leading to the sticking down bit. Fox sorted this by retro-fitting a tapered plastic bit and thus the sticking down doesn’t happen.

A way to release this without taking it apart is to let all pressure out, remove the valve core and compress the fork entirely a few times and attempt to release the sticking part. Re-assemble and pressurise and hopefully it works. If not, you have to take the lowers off buddy and then you’ll see what I’m on about.

To have a new part fitted you’ll need to contact Mojo or let them know to run a higher pressure as the TALAS cart can in some cases not be the right cart for a lighter person.

This may not be your issue but it’s worth a check pal 🙂

Daffy

Thank you for all your advice, gentlemen.

The buyer wouldn’t accept anything less than £160 as a partial refund. I’ve asked him to return it.

After selling it for £450, paying £63 in fees, £33 in postage and being forced into a £160 refund, that’s £194 for a £900 fork…

M

coomber
    Free Member

You’ll get your fees back chap.

Daffy

Agreed.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Suspension help?’ is closed to new replies.