Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Suspension Fluid
  • Brown
    Free Member

After ringing around all my local shops I can’t get hold of any suspension fluid. So I’ve rung the local motorbike shop (I need to get my forks working again by tomorrow!). Now, the chappy there tells me they’ve got a variety of types, some of which is mineral-based, some of which is, in his words, basically engine oil. I’m a little lost now – I’ve always just bought from bike shops and bunged it in. What do I need to look out for down there?

Ta.

clubber
    Free Member

Unless you’re in a big rush, you could order it from CRC – the standec stuff is good.

Brown
    Free Member

Yeah, I would do cheers but my forks really need doing soon and I’ve got the day off today…

clubber
    Free Member

Most oil will work but IIRC some oils do swell seals which can lead to fast wear.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Any decent motorbike suspension oil will be fine. I use Silkolene if you want to know. Rockshox use 5wt, but you’d better check what grade you need for other makes.

clubber
    Free Member

5wt AND 15wt depending on the RS fork

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

5Wt is for damping usually, 15wt for lubrication of the seals etc. Using 5 for both won’t hurt the fork (Well my 4.5 year old Rebas don’t mind it, anyway!)

🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Fair point (I do the same actually)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Suspension Fluid’ is closed to new replies.