• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by brant.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Suspension designs and shock choice- Transition Bandit
  • rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Afternoon,

Finally going to bite the bullet and do something about the Fox CTD performance on my Bandit- even with the biggest volume reducer fitted its not handling drops and rougher terrain as well as I would like- unless its got more air in compromising “normal” performance.

I intend to chat to TFTuned about the CC Inline, Monarch+ and the PUSH/Corset upgrades.. but could someone explain to me what “type” of suspension the Bandit uses and what shocks should in theroy suit this style? I know for example the Monarch comes in piggyback and non piggyback..

The bike is an all rounder- everything from downhill tracks to trail centre and natural singletrack. I like to have a bike I can jump and pop off things, feels lively and composed but doesn’t suck the energy out of each pedal stroke. Hope that helps..

chiefgrooveguru

I just had a look at the suspension kinematics for this – not sure what to suggest, it’s quite an unusual design! Best solution I can think of is a small volume shock so it ramps up lots. If you go with a CCDBA then at least you can run the HSC hard and LSC soft to keep reasonable sensitivity and stop it bottoming too hard. With the LSC you can either have a bike that pedals well but lacks small bump sensitivity or vice versa. If you want both you’ll have to keep flicking a pro-pedal / climb switch lever on and off.

ceepers

It’s a link actuated single pivot (I think)

Have a read through the bandit thread on the mtbr transition forum, there’s some good rider input there. I think the fox float x and the CCDBare popular upgrades.

Out of interest, is it that it blows through its travel lots or that you feel it bottom out?
    Mine regularly uses full travel and does feel quite sof in descent but I’ve never actually felt it bottom out

poah
    Free Member

assuming its the older design its a linkage drive single pivot.

the shock that suits this bike will be one tuned to the suspension and your riding style. The older fox units are too linear in spring rate and don’t have enough damping. DB inline would be a good choice assuming you are not a lard ass

Si
    Free Member

I have a RS RT3 Debonair . Seems to suit it well with a lot of volume spacers added.

grahamt1980

I put a CCDBA CS on my bandit.
    Made an incredible improvement, got rid of the feeling of blowing through travel and made it feel awesome.

matther01
    Free Member

I went ccdb inline. Once set up to your liking its pretty much fit and forget on the ups and downs (unless on long fire roads and use the cs).

I still use full travel…but in all the appropriate places unlike just pootling along with the CTD!

jam-bo

RP23 on my (2012 large), fast rebound tune, medium compression, 250 boost valve.

14st and run about 140psi from memory. Doesn’t feel bottomless but it only a 120mm bike so not really supposed to.

Rorschach
    Free Member

the shock that suits this bike will be one tuned to the suspension and your riding style

Quite stunningly concise insight there.Next on vague news……

poah
    Free Member

Rorschach – Member

I’m a dick

we know

chiefgrooveguru

It’s a link actuated single pivot (I think)

Yes, it’s definitely one of those! The slightly strange things about it are the anti-squat and leverage rate. The anti-squat is low (about 50% with a 32t) so it’ll bob without a shock platform – but lots of bikes are like that (most Specialized, Kona Process, etc).

However the leverage rate is strongly regressive for the first 80mm of travel and then slightly progressive for the rest. That means it feels stiffer when you’re at the sag point, which makes it a better pedaller but it does mean it won’t be very sensitive to small bumps. It then softens up as you go deeper into the travel before ramping up a bit near the end. It’s quite an unusual leverage curve so it’ll need a custom shock tune or something with lots of user adjustability like the CCDBAs.

benpinnick

From what CGG says, it should suit an XFusion Vector really well, its a great shock – very soft for the start, but the progression on it is strong towards the end, and thats before you add bottom out resistance!

Mbnut
    Free Member

I have been on a 29er 2012 Bandit for a couple of years.

I got the Fox tuned and Pushed by TFT…. made a world of difference and they will work with you so well worth considering that option.

brant
    Free Member

I just had a look at the suspension kinematics for this – not sure what to suggest, it’s quite an unusual design!

Is it on Linkage?

chiefgrooveguru

Is it on Linkage?

I just used the graphs on the handy Spanish blog – the last time I started messing around with modelling software related to a hobby I ended up starting a business (which rather spoilt the fun of the hobby…) I’m sure my family can do without my ever distracted brain getting obsessed with the minutiae of frame design! 😉

brant
    Free Member

Crikey. That is an odd one.

VPPs do that regressive progressive thing but not seen one like that for a bit.

I’d say large volume air shock would be a good start.

ie: remove all volume adjusters (if those are internal spacers)

chiefgrooveguru

VPPs do that regressive progressive thing but not seen one like that for a bit.
    I’d say large volume air shock would be a good start.
    ie: remove all volume adjusters (if those are internal spacers)

Do you think something like the Vorsprung Corset or the special Bronson version of the CCDBA (with additional coil negative spring) would help?

brant
    Free Member

Yes

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Suspension designs and shock choice- Transition Bandit’ is closed to new replies.