Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Sushi
  • Conor
    Free Member

Making some this weekend. There’s a big fish stall at the market on Saturday morning in Belfast. At this time of year, in this country, which are the best, freshest fish to use for sushi?

Going to do Salmon and Tuna… any others?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

blowfish – just follow the map:

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

You can put whatever you like in / on it really. It’s up to you.

Just make up more rice than you think you need as it soon vanishes once you start construction and use a really, really sharp knife.

Stoner
    Free Member

Salmon roe is good for a nigiri wrapped in seaweed – but is fine from a jar so no need to be “fresh” – not sure when salmon roe is in season anyway.

Mackerel is in season so you could us some of that cooked or raw and it’s very cheap.

Bound to be some local prawns as well.

Conor
    Free Member

Squid OK?

Sharp Japanese carbon steel knives on standby…

Stoner
    Free Member

never liked squid sushi. Or urchin for that matter. Anything that LOOKS like a bogie but isnt actually one of my bogies isnt going in my mouth 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

dont forget to buy some crab sticks for the kitshiest of all: the california handroll. May not be orfentic but they are moreish 🙂

willard

Mackrel!!! Mmmmm. Sushi. I like sushi and sushi likes me.

I remember the time at the “all you can eat” night at the sushi bar in Banff. Oh dear. That cost them a bit.

Conor
    Free Member

Cool. Might just stick with tuna, salmon and mackerel.

These are just for starters, doing other Japanese dishes for mains yet, not sure what yet, friend bought me an Asian cook book in the summer that has a nice Japanese section in it.

aleigh
    Free Member

Sushi – ewwwwww 😕

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Keep your knives clean, cold and wet. Sushi rice can be really gluey and you need a clean knife to cut through it properly.

Conor
    Free Member

Aleigh, don’t knock it till you try it. Better than Loyd Grossman pasta sauce anyway!

WCA… yeah… had seared tuna salad on Wed night and it was a nightmare trying to slice the (pretty much raw) steaks into 2mm thick slices. Knife was sharp enough, just stuck to blade. Will probably use my small knife and as you say, keep it wet.

geoffj

Its a bluddy minefield to be honest. I would say go for anything FRESH wild and local (if that makes sense). Mackerel and squid are safe bets, but I’d avoid farmed salmon and tuna for ethical reasons.
    Here is the MCS list of fish you can eat without worrying about destroying stocks or habitats.

Marine Conservation Society ethical fish list

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

conor – Chill the tuna before slicing makes it easier too. used to put beef into the freezer for 10 minutes before trying to slice paper thin slices. made it easier.

Conor
    Free Member

Good call… do that myself with chump steaks when doing stir fries where the beef is cut thinly.

tinker-belle
    Free Member

octopus, squid and eel….

YUM!!!!

juan
    Free Member

hummmmm
    sushi 😀

willard

Oh yes… make sure you add some rice wine vinegar to the rice when cooking it. It stops it getting all gluey.

joe1983
    Free Member

Remember that the fish used for sushi (sushi quality) has almost always been quickly frozen and then thawed before use as this kills any parasites in the fish. Might want to check before you buy whether the fish on offer has gone through this process

aleigh
    Free Member

Aleigh, don’t knock it till you try it. Better than Loyd Grossman pasta sauce anyway!

Hmmmmm let’s see – sushi and Loyd Grossman, one is a food, the other is a sauce…….not in the same category I think you’ll find! Each to their own and all that 😆

mudshark
    Free Member

I recommend Nyotaimori

willard

Mudshark, that’s a damned good way to ruin decent sushi. Ya freak.

Conor
    Free Member

Mudshark, I don’t think any of the people I’m having dinner with will be up for that unfortunately.

Drac

After trying proper Sushi a few weeks back at a friends I’m sold on it was bloody marvellous. Only ever had the little packs from supermarkets before that which were edible but not great, this home made Sushi was ace and watching it being made added to the experience.

roper
    Free Member

Remember to use GT85 on your knives to keep em nice and smooth.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Sushi’ is closed to new replies.