Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Surrey Hills Trails – Maps/Guides/Cryptic Clues?
  • Lifer
    Free Member

Is there a map online anywhere with the more well know trails marked on it? I know where BKB is but not the names of any of the others, heading up there tomorrow for an explore but any sort of help as to where the other trails are would be cool!

Ta

london_lady
    Free Member

you should be able to get a map from Nirvana Cycles in westcott – otherwise when you see lots of bike tracks disappearing into the undergrowth just follow them.

catfood
    Free Member

Apparently Nirvana cycles in Westcott sell maps with lots of trails marked. Easy to find on Holmbury are Yoghurt Pots, Telegraph Road and Keep the Faith.

Yoghurt Pots – from the lookout on the top of the hill turn around and take the fire road on the right for about 75 yards, there is a sign on the right pointing to the trail which splits after a few yards, Doc at the Radar Station is to the left and will be very very wet, Yoghurt Pots is to the right.

Telegraph Road – At the bottom of Yoghurt Pots turn right, there is a green bench with a junction of several fire roads, from there you can see a set of telegraph poles, just follow these from right to left and you will end up at the Youth Hostel car park.

Keep the Faith crosses Telegraph Road after about a hundred yards from left to right.

There are many other trails round the Surrey Hills but most are trickier to explain how to get to.

rewski
    Free Member

Yes, Simon or Jackie in Nirvana can point you in the right direction, I’d start from Nirvana and aim for Leith Hill area.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Or the shop in Peaslake (pedal and spoke?) sell different maps which may be better.

If you go to the YHA car park you can cycle up to the fort (can see it on the map at the car park) then turn right into the car park – there is some singletrack that starts at the far end of the carpark which will eventually lead you towards the reservoir and the top of BKB – then down BKB and into Peaslake – buy a map at the shop – then up the hill behind the shop (pitch???) towards the other trails (T5, etc) marked on their map, and then back to the shop, grab some grub at the shop, and then climb back up towards the fort again (can go left and do some bridleways there if you want to get off the road) and then do yoghurt pots and telegraph back to the car park.

or something like that…

jhw
    Free Member

Or try the stuff around Mickleham, Headley, Norbury and Box Hill which has more variety and better singletrack if you’re into the natural kind of thing without features as such.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

but more spread out/harder to find.

that little loop packs a lot into it if you find all the singletrack. I think it something like 12 miles.

Shame it wasn’t today, don’t Nirvana do their ‘oldies’ ride on a Wednesday, you could have joined them 😉

nuke

Just up there today…it’s all pretty wet and muddy on the trails I did see (There’s been a lot of rain over the last few days). Personally I mostly stuck with the bridleways/fireroads as I don’t find the trails to much fun in the current conditions.

On the plus side, it’s easier to find the trails as it’s easier to spot the muddy tyre tracks disappearing off into the woods 😀

popstar
    Free Member

If you plan weekend ride maybe check this thread. Surrey hills has many peaks, and vast amount of trails. For regular Sunday warrior 2peaks combined would offer optimum riding. Pitch-Winterfold, Holmbury-Leith … etc. Pedal n Spoke in Peaslake sell very good maps with marked trails, think £3.50 or something like that.

jhw
    Free Member

lol@”peaks”

vinnyeh

lol@”peaks”

At least he didn’t say “Pitch/Holmbury/Leith, the 3 peaks”

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

And avoid the place at the weekend if you can. 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

3 peaks challenge…

popstar
    Free Member

Oh those word jugglers. Ok I shouldn’t say hills, or maybe mountins?

RepacK
    Free Member

If you see a trail – follow it.. I bought the maps & TBH I found my intuition for finding good singletrack much more useful!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Hills Trails – Maps/Guides/Cryptic Clues?’ is closed to new replies.