Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Surrey Hills Leith Hill
  • bitterlemon
    Free Member

Hi, I want to get over to Leith Hill to ride the new trail that the guys have been working hard on :)I would start from either Holmsbury or Peaslake\Pitch.

Is there an easy route to follow?

Cheers,

nuke

:edit: Forget that…only 2 sections open at the moment as per HFTH FB page and not the tower descent. I’d wait until its all open

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Probably neither. If you want to do the new route, I would either park closer eg the CPs near the Tower or near Coldharbour.

However, if you do want to combine with Holmbury (closer) or Peaslake (slightly further) it’s easy to do. Essentially from Hombury you follow the Greensand Way, past High Ashes farm and up the main track to the Tower.

aP
    Free Member

Is it rideable yet? I thought it was till bedding in.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Sorry for x-post, phone went!

OOI, is the boggy section of SL still really crap at the moment?

Alternative is to start from Westcott and either ride straight up or loop round to Holmbury first. That way you can finish with the whole of SL?

bitterlemon
    Free Member

I was hoping to bank left at the top of Holmsbury and find my way 🙂

This sounds like a plan. Greensand Way, past High Ashes farm and up the main track to the Tower.

Where does the beginning section start from?

Thanks,

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Just past the tower, I believe. Can’t miss it apparently ^

bitterlemon
    Free Member

If I google it is Greensand Way Holmsbury side?

Thanks,

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Not sure I get the question. But let’s assume you decide to base in Holmbury. From the green, you follow the road south past houses on the RHS. After about 1/2m, you turn left onto Pasture Wood Rd. After approx 300 and on a bend the GW goes off in the RHS. This bends a climbs (with the odd little descent) up past the farm. You then doubly back on yourself to the road, Turn R on the road and go along 1/4 m or so to obvious car park on LHS (an alternative base?). From here you follow the very obvious trail up to the tower and the start is just on the other side.

nuke

From Holmbury take the Greensand Way BW up from where the arrow is on the map on the link below up the Mother…
    https://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=511585&y=144040&z=120&sv=511585,144040&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=812&ax=511585&ay=144040&lm=0
    …but as I said, the main descent of the tower isn’t open yet, so you may want to leave it until you can ride it all

bitterlemon
    Free Member

Appreciate this, thanks I can follow this now. I’ve parked up at the scout hut previously then headed up to the top Holmsbury hill. I wasn’t sure if I could bank a left at the top of the hill but I will be able to find it now from GW BW.

Only if I can work out where to start from on the trail will I be going so will head to FB, I’m not going to undo any hard work.

Cheers,

nuke

I may have mentioned but the tower descent is closed. However, it does say that the 2 sections either side of coldharbour cricket pitch are open so you could ride down from the east side of the tower and back up slightly to get to the position marked with an arrow here…
    https://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=514312&y=143307&z=115&sv=514312,143307&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=812&ax=514312&ay=143307&lm=0

…thats the start of section 2 (on the right off the BW), finish that and go right, as you follow the byway down towards coldharbour, on the left just after the end of the cricket pitch you’ll see the next section of trail start as shown by the arrow here…
    https://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=514764&y=143840&z=115&sv=514764,143840&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=812&ax=514764&ay=143840&lm=0

…the final section will, depending which way you head, probably dump you out on Wolverns after Reguritator. Head to here for Summer Lightening…
    https://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=514734&y=144644&z=115&sv=514734,144644&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=812&ax=514734&ay=144644&lm=0

nuke
    bitterlemon
    Free Member

Holmsbury and Pitch route for me tomorrow then. I think I would end up getting lost so will have to put this off for when I have longer than a morning 🙂

Thanks for the info and pointers, appreciate it.

Cheers.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Is this an official route with signposting?

spacemonkey

Knowing that area as I do, I’m failing to see how this new trail can be as great as some people make out. Am hoping I’m wrong.

Will probably take a walk in that direction over the w/e and see what’s happening.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

No, huh?

nuke

Don’t know about signposting but its official

Knowing that area as I do, I’m failing to see how this new trail can be as great as some people make out. Am hoping I’m wrong.

I was sceptical too but, having walked it, I was very pleasantly surprised. Serious amounts of work has gone into it and there is something for everyone 😀

spacemonkey

Tidy.

I’ll defo have a gander.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Hills Leith Hill’ is closed to new replies.