Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Surrey Hills – Alternative to Telegraph Hill?
  • chopper38
    Free Member

For anyone that rides the Surrey Hills (Hombury, Pitch, Leith etc), I recently located the alternative descent adjacent to Telegraph Hill (about 100 yrds off to the right from the start of TH).

I got a little confused as to where this trail went as ended up in a car park not too far from the start.

The trail did start to go up hill and I wondered whether this was correct? The first part was enjoyable but I felt the up hill was a little too much hassle and couldn't understand why people prefer this than TH.

Am I going the right way? Where is it meant to spit me out?

Cheers

Paul

njee20
    Free Member

The off-camber one below Telegraph yes?

You can either take the right fork, continue down and end up above the Glade car park, or take the left fork back up the hill and end up on the fireroad, that would be my preference, as you can then join into the bottom of Telegraph.

I'm not really a fan of that alternative trail in general though, no real flow.

geetee1972
    Free Member

no real flow.

It is quite tricky but there is plenty of flow to be had especially in the dry if you're carrying enough speed.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes I've not ridden it in the dry for a while I must admit, in fact I'm not sure I've ever ridden it in the dry, which is perhaps why it lacks flow!

freeridenick
    Free Member

Off camber is really good i think, even better on in wet. sorts the men out from the boys 😛

Trouty65
    Free Member

"Lacks Flow" ? That would probably be you and your riding style not the trail.

Awesome technical trail one of my favorites 🙂

Look for a right hander between 2 trees near the bottom to take you back to Holmbury village hall car park.

Def sorts the men from the boys when wet 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

I didn't say it lacked flow, I said it had no real flow! Like the original line of Yoghurt Pots, it's different to most of the stuff up there certainly.

Maybe you can show me how to ride it properly trouty, as my riding style's so shocking 🙄

joolsburger
    Free Member

I generally take that to the bottom by the glade car park then ride back up on the bridleway to the bench and take the bridleway right to pick up telegraph from the start of the downhill part. It's not fast but it's tricky enough to be fun,it's one of those tongue out trails…

skaifan
    Free Member

I tend to take the right hand fork to the car park and then take the climb to the viewpoint at the top. I much prefer this trail to telegraph. Puts hairs on your chest in the wet. Had an over the bars moment when i first found it back in January.

brooess
    Free Member

I love it. That's one of the best trails in the area when it comes to technical ability. As above, sorts out the men from the boys. I've only ridden it without dabs twice since I started riding it a couple of years ago.
    I named it 'Keep The Faith' cos if you ride the roots high and have faith in yr tyres, you can generally get thru it…

spacemonkey

I must admit I've become bored with TH in the last couple of years. It hasn't evolved in any way (not that is necessarily needed to) – in fact, I prefer the off-camber section on the right or the bit at the end of TH where you wiggle your way do the "downhill" bit onto the firetrack.

Each to their own though …

spacemonkey

I named it 'Keep The Faith' cos if you ride the roots high and have faith in yr tyres, you can generally get thru it…

I remember riding it one evening last summer and sketching all over the place. I thought what little ability I had was on the wane and my days were over 🙁 Then I woke up the next day and found I had a flat. Went back a few days later and nailed it – felt a whole lot better 😀

chopper38
    Free Member

Is the start of KTF from TH or does it start higher (to the left of TH) as there is single track running accross from left to right?

skaifan
    Free Member

As you enter TH its about 150 metres along and it croses TH from left to right. If you pick it up from TH you have only missed about 100 metres of trail on the left, BUT, its a very good 100 metres

Trouty65
    Free Member

njee20

Yes I've not ridden it in the dry for a while I must admit, in fact I'm not sure I've ever ridden it in the dry, which is perhaps why it lacks flow!

I didn't mean to sound harsh njee and i was not criticising your riding style. I don't consider myself to be better than anybody else but i do feel that i have the right to comment on that particular trail.

I ride it regularly in both the wet and the dry and love it because it is a very technical section of trail to ride with good pace and flow.

I struggled a lot with this trail a few years ago especially in the wet, but in the dry i have gained so much confidence through this section in the last year or so that it has become a firm favorite of mine as it is so technical.

Flow and rhythm to me are what that trail is all about 🙂

heihei

Maybe you can show me how to ride it properly trouty, as my riding style's so shocking

Ride it with GeeTee1972 – he's certainly got a whole load of flow going on! In fact it's a long time since I've struggled that hard to keep up with someone around the Surrey Hills. He's got a great "fast 'n' loose" style going on that is great fun to follow!

njee20
    Free Member

Maybe we should do another forum ride then!

brooess
    Free Member

Count me in!

freeridenick
    Free Member

Just in from riding it. so fast right now and actually dusty down there – perfection.. + the 2 pints of 49er in the wotton hatch. 8)

MrSmith
    Free Member

one of my favourite trails in the area.
    haven't ridden the straight motorway that is telegraph since the alternate one was built.
    tight, twisty and great when you do it without dabbing and managing to carry your speed.

loddrik
    Free Member

I have to say as a northerner I think most of the Surrey hills is shite but I stumbled on this little trail by accident and it was by far the best trail I found whilst I was down there (Surrey). Riding in heavy rain was certainly 'interesting' too. Good fun though.

glenp
    Free Member

That sounds like I have to say as a northerner… (because I have to conform to the stereotype)…

There are plenty of other similar trails that you clearly haven't found.

Still, must be shite – because you're a northerner.

brooess
    Free Member

I'd like to say, as a Northerner, that I'm about to move back home so I'm closer to the Lakes and Peaks for riding. But I'm gonna miss dusty sunny days in the Surrey Hills like we have right now 🙁

joolsburger
    Free Member

Don't forget to write! We'll miss you… 😛

geetee1972
    Free Member

I'd like to say, as a Northerner, that I'm about to move back home so I'm closer to the Lakes and Peaks for riding. But I'm gonna miss dusty sunny days in the Surrey Hills like we have right now

I grew up in the Peak District, spent my teeneage years riding around the Kinder Plateau and Lady Bower. Really chuffed for you mate; it's something I'd love to do myself and maybe circumstances will allow one day.

You will miss the whole singletrack thing though. Up there they don't have woodsy loamy singletrack like down here we don't have rocks!

loddrik
    Free Member

Glenp, get a life, I hated nearly everything about Surrey, and probably you too if I ever met you. But why should you or anyone else care, I sure don't miss Surrey and it sure as hell doesn't miss me..

Now I have N Wales and the peaks on my doorstep, so yes, IMO, the Surrey Hills is shite. I am glad you think it is great….

geetee1972
    Free Member

Loddrik I can empathise but the riding anywhere in the world is only as good as what you make it. There is stuff down here that you can't find as good in the Peak or North Wales, at least not easily or which is as accessible.
    If you were ever down here again, you should come out with me and some mates and I guarantee you, we'd have a grin on your face by the end of the day; which is what it should be about.
    I know where I'd rather live though, but for now the Surrey Hills will have to do and there is more than enough challenge if you ride the trails fast enough.

MrSmith
    Free Member

are all northerners like that?
    just askin, no offense like.

chopper38
    Free Member

now now girls. In response, I have riden the 7 stanes and most of the Welsh trails in the last 9 months and still love riding the Surrye Hills. They are user built and offer a wide range of challenges. Some times, the hassle of driving all the way to Wales/Scotland as well as the cost, can influence our decision to stay near home. Surrey Hills shouldn't be knocked, you just need to know where to go!

Njee – Well up for arranging a sat/sun forum ride for late August?

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah, why not!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Hills – Alternative to Telegraph Hill?’ is closed to new replies.