Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Surprised by float/movement on XT spds – can I reduce it?
  • dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Just moved from flats/5.10’s to spd and on my first ride I was really surprised by how much my feet were able to move around on the pedals. I’m used to my feet being stuck down with glue so what options do I have to reduce the amount my feet move around?

sambob
    Free Member

You could increase the tension, but that’ll also make it more difficult to get out of them obviously.

wwaswas

Float is good for your knees 🙂

If you think Shimano have s lot it’s a good job you didn’t choose Crank Bros.

legend
    Free Member

sambob – Member
    You could increase the tension

that doesn’t affect the float though. Not sure i’ve heard of any methods, not even sure if any other brands have less float than Shimano

andydicko
    Free Member

Your not using the additional float cleats are you?

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Additional float cleats? They’re the ones that came in the pedals box… Borrowed some big ol’ wellgo branded DH style pedals from a friend and they’re solid like flats. Weigh a ton though, not exactly xc weight which I want.

andydicko
    Free Member

Shimano now do two types of MTB cleats, I think the black ones are standard & gold (ish) are additional float ones

legend
    Free Member

They’ve always had two types. Gold are multi-release, the point of which I’ve never fully understood!

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Some people find it easier to disengage by turning their feet inwards.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

If float is good for your knees does that make flat pedals bad for your knees?
    Surprised that shimano are the least floaty! Housemate uses Candys so might see what they feel like.

Don’t you just feel like you’re sliding around on the pedals on descents? Does this reduce the ability to use your feet to help throw the bike around?

wwaswas

I got more knee pain with grippy flat pedals than I do with spd’s.

You can choose where to put your foot but if it stays in one place it’s doesn’t allow for any lateral movement during the pedal stroke

legend
    Free Member

Don’t you just feel like you’re sliding around on the pedals on descents? Does this reduce the ability to use your feet to help throw the bike around?

Ever watched a DH world cup?

I used Times (the most floaty pedal going) for years, then switched back to only flats for ages. The flats were killing my knees on longer rides, so tried to start using the Times again – nightmare! Really did feel that I wasn’t physically attached to the bike as they can slide side-side as well as pivoting. Swapping back to Shimano sorted for out for XC duty

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I know legend – I really didn’t think about that comment, its just how I felt on my first ride.

Think the plan is to set the tension at a point where I’m happy getting in and out and learn to adapt to this movement.

Got a FoD uplift booked tomorrow so this could be a steep learning curve…

legend
    Free Member

FoD is probably the perfect venue for getting into it! I’d start with (only been once so excuse this description) the smooth wee jumpy trail on the left side of the hill and take it from there

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Surprised by float/movement on XT spds – can I reduce it?’ is closed to new replies.