Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Surprise of the weekend.
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Surprised to discover that a former confident of the late Linda McC has become a meat eater and a "rider to hounds".

Nowt wrong with that. But still – 😯

coffeeking
    Free Member

I've no idea what you're on about.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Folk do change. I was a veggie for 17 years!

xcgb
    Free Member

yup i was veggie for 20 or so

Change is good!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

So is bacon.

thehustler
    Free Member

A good bacon buttie can turn any veggie

highclimber
    Free Member

Hardly makes them a hypocrite. People do change their beliefs/choices/religion/morals sometimes.

Junkyard
    Free Member

not for the animals.
    I agreee we all change but that seems a big change.Why the change you two if you dont mind me asking 25 years + meat free
    Not having a dig [just posted on stw rudeness thread] just asking for curiosity.

and yet billions world wide seem to resist the lure.
    Can we not have the usual meat v veg argument each to their own and all that

MrWoppit
    Free Member

For me, I couldn't think of a reason not to eat meat any more. Just got used to the idea that I'm at the top of the food chain, I suppose. Won't touch factory-farmed meat, mind.

A happy animal is a tasty one….

xcgb
    Free Member

Pretty much the same as woppit really got fed up with less choice + realised that i wasn't making a difference after all.

Odd thing is I am now a total omnivore, but i never really craved the bacon sarnie like so many meat eaters believe is the turning point

Junkyard
    Free Member

Cant see me ever changing personally
    Cheers for answer

BigDummy
    Free Member

I think what MrWoppit is trying to tell us is that he was the fifth Beatle. 😉

Cougar

About the only thing it's likely to turn for me is my stomach.

skidartist
    Free Member

People choose to be veggies for a variety of reasons, some for very personal reasons, some for more political reasons. A lot of people chose to become veggies in the past on animal welfare grounds, however you can't change the game by not playing, so the same people might now choose instead to buy well cared for meat.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why the change you two if you dont mind me asking

I guess I saw it as a matter of degrees rather than absolutes. I was also fed up of a poor choice when eating out, and missed meat.

I don't eat much meat these days.

slowjo
    Free Member

Sadly, that did it for me. My lodger had bacon sarnies every Saturday morning (a man of habit he was) and I would sit by the kitchen door with my cats, drooling. In the end I snapped and 14 years of veggie-dom went out the window.

The good side of eating everything: I no longer have to lug carrier bags of food around with me (I was hungry all the time no matter how much I put away).

There are frequently periods of several days when we don't eat meat but we will a few times a week. Ironically, I might only have a bacon sarnie once every month… if that!

People choose to be veggies for a variety of reasons, some for very personal reasons, some for more political reasons. A lot of people chose to become veggies in the past on animal welfare grounds, however you can't change the game by not playing, so the same people might now choose instead to buy well cared for meat.

I worked in a chicken factory as a summer job and that put me off meat big time. It certainly wasn't very pleasant.

Junkyard
    Free Member

however you can't change the game by not playing

Think most veggies want to stop the game not improve the rules. I always thought the term humane killing was a bit of an oxymoron. Whilst I can see that ethical rearing etc is better than factory farming but the animals are still bred to die and this, IMHO, has some inherent cruelties in it as indeed does a lion eating a baby gazelle. Some people are ok with this and see nature some people are not and see a cruelty that can be avoided
    We may be way OT now

GrahamS

Whilst I can see that ethical rearing etc is
    better than factory farming but the animals are
    still bred to die…

I see your point, but is it better for those animals to exist and lead a relatively happy life up till the day they are slaughtered; or to never have been born at all because there is no demand for them?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I dont know GrahamS which is better contraception or infantacide?

I see your point as I am sure you can see mine each person makes their own choice.

EDIT:Sorry that reads as a bit extreme but a wink seems inappropriate I am not that much of a fanatic and I am not comparing eating meat to killing babies.

soobalias
    Free Member

meat is murder.

and as a great hero of mine oft said, "thur's bin a murder"

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Meat is…. tasty.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

… and good for you.

GrahamS

No, don't apologise Junkyard, very well put in fact.

I'll admit to being a little squeamish about eating lamb after bottle-feeding some at a farm, then watching the "Kill It, Cook It, Eat It" on lambs – as I hadn't really though about how short their little lives are.

But then is it really any more acceptable to eat older animals though?

Tricky.

JulianA
    Free Member

If you want to see rare breeds in the fields, eat them (although I wouldn't recommend doing so in the field (that was a nasty incident) – get their meat from the farm shop).

Just don't cook them too much (in the case of cow and buffalo, anyway).

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes less meat eaters if they got live food and the life expectancy of a lamb is rather short so the meat is tender – lived on a sheep farm they bleat for days after the lambs are taken.

GrahamS

Yeah I've likewise seen cows calling for their young a week or two after they've been taken.

Quite heart-wrenching. 🙁

Nature is cruel.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Not much point in stopping "the game" – we've been eating meat for thousands of years, it's part of lifes little cycles and the food chain. We have certainly distorted it by farming, but that applies to veg too. But that doesn't mean its wrong to do it. You wouldn't frown at a bear for eating an animal when it could have chosen some leaves (they eat and can survive on both) so why with humans?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Humans are unique in that we can see our behaviour and moderate and control it far more than other creature. We can discuss morality , ethics, right and wrong etc a bear eating a fish is just an animal obeying and following its instincts it has little choice in the matter. We alone have the luxury of choice and the ability to make a moral judgement I measure my behaviour against standards higher than I set for an animal as I assume we all do. We can see animals dop all sort of "cruel" things in nature that we would not expect a human to do

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I have known many vegetables that are quite specific on that point, also…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Surprise of the weekend.’ is closed to new replies.