Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • surly tuggnut good enough for mtb?
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

About to pull the trigger and order a bolt up kit for my 240ss hub for a horizontal dropout mtb frame but just wondering if a surly tuggnut will be good enough? Works out about half the price but i wonder if it's a false economy if ill worry about it

firestarter
    Free Member

works a treat on mine mate

firestarter
    Free Member

in fact there are two over on classifieds just come up mate. Not mine tho 🙂

fontmoss
    Free Member

ta mr starter

any pics of that bike you don't want to sell me? 😀

firestarter
    Free Member

lol i wil send one tomorrow as im browsing on my phone at the min 🙂

fontmoss
    Free Member

ta muchly mr

scaredypants

(hijack)

I'm a bit thick…
    what holds a tuggnut in line (ie keeps it in the slot)?
    I can see that the nut/qr would hold the front of it in, but what about the back – is it just interference and chain tension or are they grooved or something?

(I have a cheapo one – on one or sjs I think – that has a hollow "cap" that sits ovet the ends of the slot & seems more secure than this system)

So the question is, just how thick am I ?

fontmoss
    Free Member

the wee screw tightens it against the chain so the wheel isnt thrown forward-turning pedals pulls wheel forwards and nut pulls back against it.

thats pretty much it as far as i know

scaredypants

Yeh, I agree with you in principle fontmoss but what does the screw push/pull against ? Looks to me like it would have no effect as it seem to just "hang off" the back of the tuggnut body

scaredypants

🙄

I get it now (maybe)

Never seen the back of one – the thumbscrew isn't internal to the main body, it sits behind and maybe has another "bit" that never gets shown on images of the things but sits across the end of the slot for it all to push against ??

fontmoss
    Free Member

have a look here on surly site

scaredypants

Cheers "…the T-shaped slider piece to reside in the tail end of the dropout…"

think this is as I'm imagining but have never seen a pic of the rear of one of these things

fontmoss
    Free Member

don't say im not good to you

scaredypants

I love you maaan !

That's a lot better design than my cheapy version (though hasn't failed yet)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘surly tuggnut good enough for mtb?’ is closed to new replies.