Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Surly Pugsley, Anyone got one? tried just a fat front wheel
  • Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Been looking through the Jeff jones site and fancy giving the fat front wheel ago, Anyone tried it? is it alot more comfortable than normal wheels?

stanfree
    Free Member

Coastkid Is the pugsley expert , Im sure he will be on later.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Shabump

coastkid
    Free Member

just off up to pentlands bash with paul(stanfree)
    got a pug and love it!,
    have a read through this lot,catch you later 😮

my pugsley (reviews)

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I have a fat front 🙂 Great fun !! Do it. Much, much more comfortable. I also run a normal front wheel – 2 bikes for the price of 4, LOL.

Chainline
    Free Member

I also run fat front and it is much more comfortable than even a 2.55 tyred
    'normal' front.

Also huge grip, especially with larry.

I run it more often than not since I have put the Larry on as it steers so 'normally', much quicker steering, or at least feels it, than the Endomorph, less self steer effect. And Larry is better in Britich conditions.

I also now run it with a standard 2.25, 26" front tube rather than DH tubes or the Surley tube which both weigh significantly more.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Sorry don't know anything about pugsleys but..

see if anyone knows this band then? from the coastkid video

The The – This is the Day

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Right think i have to give it a go now, Cheers guys

Hopefully the bits will be instock mind.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Chainline – do you notice the extra weight of the Larry? – plenty of life in my Endo 🙁 so I can't really justify buying one yet!

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Shep – don't get a Surly innertube- a Maxxis DH 2.7" 1.5mm is a good tube to get, much lighter than the Surly tube -and I've had no punctures in 6 months 🙂

never mind the quality – feel the width

Chainline
    Free Member

Futon, I didn't realize the Larry weighed more? It's the same size tyre, it certainly 'feels'lighter on the trail because of how it rides.

I couldn't justify the change either but I was struggling in muddier conditions with the Endo and the Dyfi was looming, I don't regret it:-)

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I think the Endo is 1150g and the Larry is 1450g. I was going to wait until it got muddy before getting the Larry. I'm intrigued by the ride quality – faster steering is desirable !

Shep – post up your build when it's done.

singlespeedstu

A jones rider saying he can't justify buying a new tyre.

Doesn't seem right to me. 😉

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I rang a few places today and its gonna be ages, wait on tyre and pugsley fork is at least two months.

Did you all use the Surly rim? the Jeff Jones wheel uses a 50mm and Onza make a 50mm so was wondering if that would work.

Thanks for the advice.

epicyclo

I was planning this for winter.

Is it better to get bits in UK or straight from USA?

coastkid
    Free Member

THE THE, matt johnstone lyrics and vocals 😆
    many folk dont know that jules holland did the piano on his soul mining album…
    heres a film of where you can go on fat rubber 😮
    where normal bikes fear to tread..endocam…
    endocam 2

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I think any 50+mm rim will do – Halo make a 50mm trials rim don't they?

Billys have the Larry in stock – http://www.billys.co.uk/english/group.php?prod=tysu-larry

Seems they're only! 1260g – sorely tempted, just a bit skint at the moment – I ride a Jones – but it doesn't mean I'm loaded, unfortunately 🙁

I also have other plans – an Eriksen Ti seatpost, a 165mm chainset with 30T chainwheel and a 11/36 cassette, shorter stem – so it's a question of priorities really –

coastkid
    Free Member

50mm is usable with surly tyres,kris holm does a 47mm unicycle rim but only in 36 spoke, regular 2.5 DH tubes are fine,what i use…
    the rims to get are from speedway cycles in alaska, there 70mm wide una rims… drilled like a trials/kris holm rim but lighter yet still strong, infact everything made by speedway cycles is lighter and stronger!,
    here is there titanium "fatback" will be my next bike…

165 rear hub,135 front, non offset wheels to allow 29ers too…
    two bikes in one when you add a suspension fork..looks heavy?, 29 lbs easy with these bikes,my pugsley wieghs 35+ lbs so the fatbacks fly like there owners say,aint cheap though,around 4K with a 29er wheelset,

singlespeedstu

I ride a Jones – but it doesn't mean I'm loaded

And there was me thinking all jones owners were stinking rich. 🙄 😉

daveells
    Free Member

Not stinking rich,just attention whores.

singlespeedstu

Not stinking rich,just attention whores.

You're right about that one dave.
    I saw a guy on one of those jones things out on my local trails the other day. He looked like a right attentionwhore to me.

daveells
    Free Member

Was he throwing it off tractors??? 😉

cozz
    Free Member

Im in UK in NOtts and built a pugs this year, Im loving it for all riding, esp sandy bridleways around sherwood forest

biult it pretty light with XTR and goog gear weighs 34lb

singlespeedstu

Was he throwing it off tractors???

How did you know that? 😉

epicyclo

singlespeedstu – Member
    And there was me thinking all jones owners were stinking rich.

They were until they paid for their Jones 🙂

I think I'll have a crack at brewing my own fatbike frame. A bit of cut and shut on an old Giant should provide some fun.

singlespeedstu

I think I'll have a crack at brewing my own fatbike frame.

I'd be interested in seeing some pics of the cuting and shuting. 😀

epicyclo

singlespeedstu – Member
    I'd be interested in seeing some pics of the cuting and shuting.

If it happens, you'll see it here 🙂

Chainline
    Free Member

Shep I have an endomorph tyre, looks pretty much unworn, mail me if interested, it's not going anywhere.

I run a speedway 70mm rim, makes for v low pressures without squirm

Forks from vicious maybe? Or indeed from speedway cycles, Greg matya is v helpful, I'd love a fat bike too, I'm just not sure why!!

coastkid
    Free Member

you can get a pugsley "non offset fork" nearly all bike shops deal with ISIN, the surly importers so can get you this,around £89 i think?,
    with this fork you can run a regular 100mm front hub and centreline rim,29er wheel will go in too,
    only once you want to go fat out back you will have chainline clearance issues with a regular BB,the 100mm BB cures this,
    it can be proberly done with the regular BB if you made it a long tail cargo bike due to the chain lenght being twice as long,
    for those with time scroll through the USA mtbr fatbike forum
    for threads on home built beasts… 😮
    proberly one of the most fun bikes ive owned 😮

myheadsashed

Fatback Ti is on my list of wants has been for ages, don't know why but I just want one 😯

birly-shirly
    Free Member

very cool videos from coastkid

what's the advantage over a "normal" sus fork and tyre set up if you're not on sand or snow?

coastkid
    Free Member

thanks birly-shirly 😮
    i would reckon apart from sand/snow that also soft grassy peaty trails esp when wet are better-like the cheviots/pentlands,lammermuir hills,and up in the highlands..certainly alot less erosion caused which can only be a good thing,
    think quad bike versus landrover…float rather than dig in…
    the big tyres are awful on clay where it just sticks to them which rules out alot of areas in the UK but i also think that like 29ers it just adds another different bike riding experiance…
    these bikes bend the rule book a bit as there heavyish (the surlys) but ride like a real light bike on soft terrian- wierd!…but fun!
    if your ever up at edinburgh get in touch and have a shot here on the beaches… 😮

epicyclo

coastkid – Member
    …in the highlands..certainly alot less erosion caused which can only be a good thing,

That's one of the reasons I want one. It won't damage soft tracks.

coastkid
    Free Member

you can see the difference here…about half the depth of imprint 😮

Filthy
    Free Member

Damn this thread and coastkid with his brilliant video's… I want a Pugsley now.

Saw one pootling around York cycle show last weekend, just looks fun and I live next to a beach so I think I can justify it with the wife, just need to sell a few bits first.

Hmmm Alfine or blow the budget and stick a rohloff on it?

_tom_
    Free Member

What exactly is the point of these bikes – not trolling just curious? Are they only useful for sandy stuff or are there benefits to riding them on "normal" trails. They look pretty weird!

birly-shirly
    Free Member

coastkid – Member
    thanks birly-shirly
    i would reckon apart from sand/snow that also soft grassy peaty trails esp when wet are better-like the cheviots/pentlands,lammermuir hills,and up in the highlands..certainly alot less erosion caused which can only be a good thing,
    think quad bike versus landrover…float rather than dig in…
    the big tyres are awful on clay where it just sticks to them which rules out alot of areas in the UK but i also think that like 29ers it just adds another different bike riding experiance…
    these bikes bend the rule book a bit as there heavyish (the surlys) but ride like a real light bike on soft terrian- wierd!…but fun!
    if your ever up at edinburgh get in touch and have a shot here on the beaches…

Might take you up on that – Edinburgh's not too far from Bruntsfield after all 😀

S'funny – I do most of my riding in the pentlands and I've thought before that a big old fat tyre would be great – but I'm thinking mostly of the lumpy and rutted grassy paths up there rather than the more defined trails. I see what you're saying about the shallow footprint – but do you find yourself skating around when it's muddy? What about traction on the paths that have been gravelled to death? I rode up from Bonaly today side by side with someone and sharing the path to Bonaly reservoir had us both both floundering around.

coastkid
    Free Member

birly-shirly i go riding with houshusband and co who are on mtb scotland forum often,next time i organise a ride with that lot around east lothian come along and i will take the pugsley,were often near the coast,
    last time they had a bit shot of it on the beach,lots of big grins 😮
    on some regular trails its great-like sandy rooty stuff,esp roots when wet esp as the tyre just seems to bend around stuff sticking up…on descents of the black route at GT it would get a bit out of control on real rocky stuff,most ridgid bikes do though…
    traction on loose gravel is really good-again from the spread of the tyres,
    i think they are better sand bikes than snow bikes as has to be the right snow, (powder), but a hoot on the beach,
    i can ride down murder hill sand dune at gullane beach!,the dune that was on the episode of coast…but there people magnets and it gets a bit tiring explaining to folk what it is…, oh they float too 😆

AJ
    Free Member

I rang a few places today and its gonna be ages, wait on tyre and pugsley fork is at least two months.

Did you all use the Surly rim? the Jeff Jones wheel uses a 50mm and Onza make a 50mm so was wondering if that would work.

Thanks for the advice.

Ison have larrys in mine just arrived also the new salsa enabler fork might be worth a look.
    I run enabler/chub ss hub onza 128 hog rim 49mm and larry.
    It really rocks…. well through the rocks

singlespeedstu

I've email Ison twice about an Enabler fork and had no reply from them…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Surly Pugsley, Anyone got one? tried just a fat front wheel’ is closed to new replies.