Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Surly Moonlander crank options?
  • officerfriendly
    Free Member

Hi all! The outer chainring on my Mr Whirly crankset has finally worn out, and I went to buy another one, only to find it out costs an eye-watering £70, holy smokes. This is why I don’t like Surly, despite really liking their bikes and having a Moonlander and a Krampus!

Decided I might as well buy another crankset instead of putting another £70 into it, and then finding out they’ve probably discontinued it the next time that one wears out. However, most cranksets seem to be for a 170mm back end, not a 190mm which I’m guessing the Moonlander offset is equivalent to. Can anyone advise a reasonably priced crankset? Don’t really want to spend more than a £100. I’m guessing it would need about a 120mm axle and I’d prefer a double crankset than a single. I found this which looks a bit too good to be true!

Ridewill Fat Bike Crankset 120mm

Can anyone advise? Would be much appreciated! (:

johnnystorm

I thought about it and in the end decided to just buy the new chainring. The last one seemed to last an age.

I did wonder if anyone made chainrings with just holes rather than mounting tabs that coukd have holes drilled to fit. Preferably in steel!

Presumably brexit has made it worse as I didn’t quite pay 70 quid for it.

johnnystorm

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/moonlander-crank-options-845465.html

Poster says 190mm race face cranks don’t work but 170s do…

officerfriendly
    Free Member

My issue is that there’s no point pouring almost as much money as it costs to buy a new crank into it, especially considering that they will probably discontinue it soon. And then there’s the principle of it!

Thanks for the link! I actually have a pair of Raceface Atlas 100mm cranks (for 170mm spacing I thinj) and they nowhere near fit. I also tried an e13 fat bike crankset for a 170mm rear end and the clearance on the chainstays was less than a milimetre. I think the thing is to go with ones with a wider axle, hence the 120mm ridewill ones, but not sure if it will fit. Might be worth a punt?

johnnystorm

I’m not so sure it’ll get discontinued soon. They still knock out 1x1s and Moonie framesets. 😉

kaiser
    Free Member

Ask coastkid..he’ll know for sure.google his website or ask on facebook fatbike forums.

cozz
    Free Member

I’ve got a crankset from a Surly Ice cream truck somewhere in the garage

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Johnnystorm, honestly for that much I’d rather just buy a new crankset.

Thanks Kaiser, I’ll give him a go if all else fails! Really enjoyed reading about his builds.

Cozz I’m very interested in it!

cozz
    Free Member

ill have a rummage in garage tomorrow eve,

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Thank you!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Surly Moonlander crank options?’ is closed to new replies.