Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Surly Moonlander
  • drinkmoreport
    Free Member

4.5″ tires! 😯 when would you need such tires, 3.7 Larry;s not big enough?! 😯 i’d still like one mind. 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

You have to ask if the 21% (nominal) increase will make a significant difference?

They should just make a full suss fat bike, it’s the only development that makes sense.

charliedontsurf

Bigger is not always better but it’s always bigger and that is better.
    It’s going to be great for deep sand. I am gonna get one.
    More details here http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/surly-moonlander-sand—snow-bike-45-big-fat-larry-clown-shoe-rims-1483-p.asp

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

Anyone know if a Moonlander is reviewed next issue in the “attention seekers” grouptest?

Forgive the daft question, but what temp do hydro lines freeze at that cable operated brakes are required?

SidewaysTim

I was cynical about the Moonlander in ‘what the **** do you need tyres that big for’ kind of way. Then I rode one. It was ace. Takes a little more effort to get up to speed than a regular 26″ wheeled bike, but once you get there, very little will stop it.
    The grip is amazing, the thing corners like it has no right to and it was just the most fun I’ve had on a ride in a long time.

Think of it as an excuse for another bike and you’ll be right.

coastkid
    Free Member

Mine is on order 😀
    I go plenty of places on the coast that are hard work even on the pugsley, The ML is probably not much use to most folk but i need 2 fattys now for differnt riding,
    Some folk have 2 full suss bikes, some 2 xc, i want 2 fattys 🙂

You dont get much attention most of the time as no one about where i go at low tide 🙂

Oh the brakes, -40C but not to worry about that here in the UK,
    Here on the beach hydro brake pistons will soon seize with salt water, my Avid BB7s are 4 years old soon and going great 🙂

Roll on xmas!

charliedontsurf

I raced Ssuk on my pugsley and it was ace. The super slippery conditions saw loads of folk spinning sliding and then lying in the mud. The pugsley just kept on going. I even ran someones legs over and barely felt them pass under me, so assume they hardly noticed 16 stone chap on 45 pound bike (it had tons of mud and a bottle of merlot on it) ride over them.

The moonlander bikes are due in December, when we will have snow, probably. The big fat larry tyres 4.5 are due in October, and can fit a pug and mukluk if you don’t want all your gears.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Tons of mud and a bottle of merlot? I think I need a fat bike even more now 🙂

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

Finances atm don’t stretch to a complete fat bike, so I’m in the process of sticking a 3.7″ Larry tire on the front of my Swift.

Just got the fork in [thanks Charlie!], next week off to my LBS to get the wheel built up.

Can’t wait!

:mrgreen:

epicyclo

drinkmoreport – Member
    4.5″ tires! when would you need such tires, 3.7 Larry;s not big enough?! i’d still like one mind.

You need tyres like that for most of the UK – they open up the countryside once you venture off the carefully groomed and bermed “mountainbike” trails. 🙂

BTW they are twice the volume of the “skinny” Larrys so should provide nice flotation.

Could have done with them here:

Stoner
    Free Member

charlie – you should have an Enabler/Big Fat Larry/100mm rim/Surly extra large inner/Surly 135mm rear hub bundle for people to build fat front halfs for their 29ers.

What kind of price would that be? £350ish?

PS its infuriating on your site where you list plenty of stuff but it’s all out of stock grrrrr 👿

epicyclo

A bit of advice for anyone thinking of trying this.

Order your tyre now. There seems to be limited stock coming in and long lead times. (Be good to hear otherwise.)

If you don’t like it, you won’t have any trouble getting rid of it.

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

The new mag reviews the Mukluk pretty favorably, BUT, report that the bike didn’t like it at all when the going got muddy.

That’s a big “but” given that many UKites will see a fat-bike precisely for muddy, boggy, off piste conditions.

The reviewed bike had an Endomorph rear.

sofaking
    Free Member

The new mag reviews the Mukluk pretty favorably, BUT, report that the bike didn’t like it at all when the going got muddy.

That’s a big “but” given that many UKites will see a fat-bike precisely for muddy, boggy, off piste conditions.

The reviewed bike had an Endomorph rear.

the endo only has a thin tread pattern designed for snow

nates should improve the handling for gloop and uk winter conditions they certainly increased grip on dry trails to an unbelievable level

charliedontsurf

Nates will do it. As will a larry to a lesser extent.

They do work very well in mud. Ssuk this year was like the Somme. I didn’t win or anything, but it was Soooo much fun on the pugsley.

howay04
    Free Member

Charlie the bikemonger

Will you be offering finance on the balck ops? Really tempted to dip into fat bikes!!!

motorman
    Free Member

Yes, endos & larry are useless in mud…excellent in sand & snow.

so realistically, UK fatbike will need a nate on rear for mud riding duties…end of. They are that good 😈

No different to any other bike, you got to set it up for the conditions you are riding… 😉

Oh, Charlie TBM….if I order a moonlander will it arrive in the first batch end of Dec, or are these all sold? ISON now show March for Moonlander stock?

charliedontsurf

Motoman. Let me know what size you want and I will see what’s what. Bikemonger@ yahoo dot co dot uk

Nice pics.

coastkid
    Free Member

Charlie, do we get the gas masks supplied too for the apocalypse? :mrgreen:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWHPQy9AFxU&feature=related[/video]

charliedontsurf

After Sundays roast garlic soup all visitors to the shop will get full chemical warfare suits.

Even the dogs complained.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Surly Moonlander’ is closed to new replies.