Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Surf Sales for Bos servicing?
  • mrplow
    Free Member

Has anyone used Surf sales for Bos suspension servicing yet? Do you know if the workshop is operational?

I think someone for Surf Sales posts on here – any news yet?

wwaswas

someone for Surf Sales posts on here

he’s the principle reason I avoid anything that I know they are importers for.

binners

someone for Surf Sales posts on here

I believe he’s held in very high regard by everybody.

neninja
    Free Member

I was talking to the lad who’s doing the servicing work on BOS at Surf Sales and he was totally brimming with enthusiasm for BOS.

BOS were sending him the special tools to be able to complete all the servicing work so I would imagine that they are now fully up and running.

Mark

He’s actually banned

mrplow
    Free Member

Not looking to start a witch hunt and don’t know any of the history etc. Just want to know about servicing Bos equipment in the UK with Bos parts and oil and if anyone had experience of that from Surf Sales?

I am guessing it is not up and running yet.

godzilla
    Free Member

Have you called them?

mrplow
    Free Member

A forum is no place for logic! Wash your mouth out.

Really interested in customer’s experience tbh. Last time I called they hoped to be up and running by the start of this month.

fivespot
    Free Member

Prior to selling my Deville’s, I got a quote from Surf Sales for a service and new bushes fitting. They wanted £160 plus postage both ways 😯 I ended up taking them to Dave Garland at Stendec who wanted £120 for the same work using Bos parts. I actually ended up paying £107 as my main seals were as new (they had only been fitted 1 or 2 rides previous) No postage costs as he lives 15 mins away.

Lifer
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member
    “someone for Surf Sales posts on here”

he’s the principle reason I avoid anything that I know they are importers for.

+1 on that.

scruff
    Free Member

Also try J-Tech in Shrewsbury, I know he can do the forks.

jedi

I really get on with igrf. Takes all sorts in life eh 🙂

wwaswas

I suspect he’s ok in offline jedi.

His choice of subjects to troll on here illustrated another side of him, though.

LoCo
    Free Member

We can do Devilles and VipRs, have just got seals kits in so not on our site yet as still ploughing through all your CRC bargin shock tunes 😉

jedi

That’s good to know loco

mrplow
    Free Member

What oil do you use Loco? I believe I am placing too much value on the BOS oil but my devilles work perfectly and I am not wanting to alter the feel in any way.

LoCo
    Free Member

Motul Factoryline, cheers Tony 😀

mrplow
    Free Member

Loco – Are you able to test the weight/properties of the original BOS oil to know the Motul oil will give the same damping and lubrication/support as the original BOS magical weight unobtanium oil?

LoCo
    Free Member

No, I know what weight they need, performance wise they’ll be very little in it with the Motul which is high grade stuff tbh.

Fivespot, any idea which brand of oil and wiper seals Dave@Stendec was using?

mrplow
    Free Member

Loco – Sorry for going into broken record mode – how do you know what weight oil they need? I’m guessing bushing tolerances etc may be different to Fox etc so they may need a very specific weight/properties to get the performance and reliability that BOS are believed to have designed in.

For example – Oil for one engine is not the same as another for a different type of engine as there are different bearing tolerances, bearing areas and bearing loadings etc (a bit like a stanchion running in bushes). I’m sure forks are quite different in design at the detailed level and using wrong oils may create premature issues in the lifespan of the parts.

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes we know what weight they use.

I’m sure that BOS will have used good quality oil, which is why we use Motul as it’s the best stuff available without having to spend £50 a litre for special racing oil.

wwaswas

So, do you know what weight oil they use then?

😉

mrplow
    Free Member

I can see a call coming your way. Thanks for your time replying. 🙂

LoCo
    Free Member

No probs.

mrplow
    Free Member

I have no idea what weight oil they use. I don’t want to use one which is “close” in case I end up with ruined stanchions a year down the line from something that was close but not right. I also want the damping the exact same as it is just now as I really enjoy it.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

I’m surprised he has any brands. I wouldn’t want any brand of mine associated with him, he’s an embarrassment.

wwaswas

I have no idea what weight oil they use

Maybe Loco does?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Or you could just ask TF Tuned who had some tested so they could use an alternative when BOS couldn’t be arsed to send them any to service forks with.

IIRC it’s a 7.5wt oil.

fivespot
    Free Member

LOCO as far as I know Stendec use their own branded oil. I think it is supplied by Millers, going by the large empty drums I have seen there. But I could be putting 2+2 together and getting 5. The wiper seals were Fox ones that I fitted. All the other seals and bushes were Bos.

Oil weight was 7.5 😉

somafunk

We have a set of Bos Deville forks in the shop from one of our local riders who’s been racing on the scene for 10yrs + and is very well respected, the forks have had very-very little use and look as new but there is unusual wear/marks on the stantions so we sent them back to mad elk for warranty work but they returned them saying there was nothing wrong so they serviced them anyway and put in new seals. I thought this was a bit suspect so i sprayed the stantions (where you can see visible wear on the anodising) with silicone and pumped the forks a few times and dirt and grime popped out of the seals so they were talking crap and never bothered their arse doing anything to them.

I’m sure they are good forks and i’ve only ever heard positive reviews regarding them in use but when it comes to servicing or possible warranty work then your obviously on your own, I’d avoid them until they get a fully working and stocked service centre in the UK with folk who know what they are doing.

LoCo
    Free Member

Fivespot, cheers was wondering what oil he was using, obviously we know it 7.5 😉 .
    Our seal kits are ones we’ve had manufactured specially so are as good/better than the BOS ones and we us the fork SKF Low friction wiper seals too.

Somafunk, I’m sure Surf Sales will be fine sorting warranty issues once they get the warranty parts in from BOS

Sandwich

I’m surprised he has any brands. I wouldn’t want any brand of mine associated with him, he’s an embarrassment.

A plus one for this and for wwaswas comment too.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’m sure they are good forks and i’ve only ever heard positive reviews regarding them in use but when it comes to servicing or possible warranty work then your obviously on your own

I’ve always been very positive about my Bos Deviles and I still am in terms of their performance.

I changed frame recently and this meant changing headset as well. The base plate from the previous CK was always an easy fit – it went on and came off by hand but there was never any movement. The base plate from the new headset however was a much slacker fit and there was definitely play as a result.

Measuring the steerer tube it turns out it’s fractionally undersized.

I’ve had the fork for a year but it’s only just become a problem. The fork is on its way to Surf Sales now and hopefully it will get sorted but I can’t help but think that I could be in for a long wait!

somafunk

Ah that;’s good to know, i may give them a call t’morn to mention the problem and see what they say as the forks have only been used for 6 weeks before we noticed the wear/mars on the stantions.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Just an update for anyone interested – I’m waiting to send my Devilles back to Surf Sales as i’m concerned about bushings and seals and they still aren’t up and running…
    Currently considering asking Loco for a price on service and bushings as I want them sorted asap.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Surf Sales for Bos servicing?’ is closed to new replies.