Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Surely there can't be any need for a bike light with 5 XM-Ls?
  • Dangerboy
    Free Member

http://www.fasttech.com/products/1/10002475/1361900-trustfire-tr-d010-5cree-xm-l-t6-5-mode-2800-lumen-

…and surely one at $80 can’t be any good?

I’d settle for just one MT-G2 – even though the solarforce S2200 is a monster of a torch I’m struggling to resist it at $140…

dawson

😯 – looks top heavy and may slide round the bars and point at the front wheel/floor at the first bit of rough ground!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

fit it upside down

I almost impulse bought it straight away

ska-49
    Free Member

Are these any good? Looking at some lights that will get me by. These would be my first venture into bike light.

Dangerboy
    Free Member

ska – After a temporarily aborted attempt to build my own light (lack of skills and hardware) I’ve I’ve ordered one of these for $46, which I think was about £30. Not arrived yet and probably not brilliant when it does, but I figured that at worst I could cannibalise it for parts..

http://www.fasttech.com/products/1603/10003978/1285802-fandyfire-x2-cree-xm-l-u2-4-mode-2000-lumen-led-bi

ska-49
    Free Member

Thanks Dangerboy- look good but the ones you’ve linked only have a running time of 30mins.. Seems a bit low? The ones at the top run for 2 hours (apparently).

Northwind

Could be good but depends how it’s done… I got a cheap 3XML light which had a decent enough chassis etc but was driven weirdly, full beam was the 3 XMLs run at reduced power, not actually as bright as a 2XML light. I’m assuming this must do something similiar, partly because they’re not claiming 6000 lumens but mostly because it’d go through the battery in no time at all.

Oh, PS DX have a 6XML light too.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Yo – Ska – This is not a bajillion lumens, but do you want to blind everyone?

Bright Idea!

Hope Vision 1, most excellent. Here in a kit with high-power rechargeable batteries.

Quality, versatility and after-sales support. Mine has been used on a 9 Month tour, and thousands of hours of commuting etc.

If it does run flat somewhere, just pop into Poundland and buy a set of cheapo batteries to get you home.

jairaj

sorry but the Hope Vision 1 is a joke! might make some sense while touring into the middle of no where so you can use easy to find AA batteries but for everyday use its rubbish.

over priced, low lumens, poor run time and use ancient LED technology.

cookeaa

Most of the cost of the hope lights is in the posh housing…

Single xml emitter lights are easily had for under £20 off fleabay one on the bars one on your noggin job done… 5 / 6 emitter units will just add weight and cut run times. Pointless.

Dangerboy
    Free Member

I think the ‘less than 30 mins battery’ on those Fandyfire X2’s refers to the light telling you when there’s less than 30 mins of battery left.

Various opinions here: http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-riding/solarstorm-fandyfire-x2-844802.html

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Oh, well I can vouch for it’s quality…

Are you sure the 2013 version isn’t fitted with new tech LED’s?

I’m pretty sure you can see 50+m quite easily with the older one I have.

I was making the assumption that it’s for on and light off road use, as Ska-49 said it was his first light. Sure you can get more powerful lights, but having dabbled with 6000+ Lumen LEDs recently, I’m still liking the Vision for real-world use.

I am sure the housing is expensive, but it does protect it nicely!

Saccades
    Free Member

I’d disagree with the vision 1 being a joke, it’s bombproof, comes with all fittings for everything and works well.

It’s underpowered compared to the cheap dx type stuff but it has enough power to mtb on fairly tech stuff in a self contained unit, no annoying battery packs and hope warrenty is legendary.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Surely there can't be any need for a bike light with 5 XM-Ls?’ is closed to new replies.