Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Superstar Wheels (with fork side q)
  • smcicr
    Free Member

Hi,

Looking at upgrading the wheels on my Zesty 214 (couple of years old now – Alex sx44 on shimano m525 hubs) and was thinking the current Superstar deal is worth a punt at £200 for flows on their own hubs.

I intend to change the fork and go for a Maxle solution in the not too distant future – with that in mind I would order the wheels with either the 15 or 20mm adapter. It’s not clear on the Superstar site if the wheel will come with the adapter installed (it just says included) so has anyone on here bought from them and can advise how they’d come? (I have emailed them direct – just thought I might get a quicker response here :))

The fork q – does anyone have any views on Sektors? I was thinking Revelations but they seem to be just 150mm this year and I need 140mm to replace the current Recons.

(fwiw and in case it’s relevant – I’m probably around 190 / 195lb kitted up).

Thanks in advance for any advice / wisdom 😉

kayak23

Yes, your chosen adapter comes fitted.
    I had a qr rear wheel off them a while back, later wanted to change it to 12mm which was very simple. Great wheelsets.

Conan257
    Free Member

Don’t worry about 10mm, Recons to Sektors seems like a bit of a downgrade to me, although I suppose it depends on year.

philstone

Echo above – I’ve got some on Crests – ordered with 15mm front and QR rear, have since upgraded to 20mm front and 10mm thru rear – easy as..

Re forks – I’ve just bought some 2012 Sektors to increase the travel over my X-Fusion Velvets – I’ve always preferred coils to air but both are very nice – in terms of plushness they feel almost the same… I wanted more travel and travel adjust (otherwise I probably would’ve stayed with the velvets).

Cheezpleez

Recently bought some Superstar/Crest wheels and I’m pretty pleased. They’re light, work well and look great.

They made awful pinging noises for the first 10 yards of riding so clearly were not built to the highest of standards but I was expecting that. Will keep an eye and tweak if needed.

smcicr
    Free Member

Thanks to all for the replies 🙂

Sounds like I’ll just go for QR both ends and get the adapters as and when I upgrade the fork.

On the subject of the fork – any other views on either Sektors or whether a 150mm fork will be ok on the front of a Zesty (2010 model).

The current Recons (RockShox Recon 335 140mm LO) have been fine but i’d like to move to a maxle based fork – obviously any performance or weight savings i can make on the way would be a bonus. If a 150mm fork isn’t going to mess up the handling on the bike then I can go back to looking at Revelations 🙂

Thanks again.

dougieb
    Free Member

You can easily space a 150mm revelation down to 140mm – I’ve done it with mine and it’s a trivial job.

andyl
    Free Member

It’s not clear on the Superstar site if the wheel will come with the adapter installed (it just says included)

Doesn’t matter. They are easy to install and swap over. You can order a set for your current forks and then get the different ones when you choose your new fork and swap them over.

edit: too slow!

bland

Cheez Pleez, all new handbuilt wheels will ping when you set off riding for the first time. You can put lateral stress on them when they are built to seat everything BUT even £1000’s worth of handbuilt wheels will ping, thats no bad on superstars part.

Regarding your forks, dont get hung up over 10mm, it will make the square root of **** all difference to you, you wont notice it, if anything it will improve the ride of the zesty.

I have just thrashed my flows on SS hubs for a week in the alps riding rediculously hard and they havent faulted, great wheels for the price, so good a friend is selling pro 2’s on 819’s as they are lighter, better rim width, better tyre profile and better for using tubeless.

Also go for the Merlin £300 revs RLT’s, great forks, again duly thrashed and still ace!

RustyMac

As others have mentioned it is possible to reduce the travel on the Revelations. The ones i bought from merlin came supplied with the all travel spaces in the bag with the instructions.

There are videos in YouTube on how to install the all travel spacers and instructions on the SRAM/RockShox site.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Cheez Pleez, all new handbuilt wheels will ping when you set off riding for the first time. You can put lateral stress on them when they are built to seat everything BUT even £1000’s worth of handbuilt wheels will ping, thats no bad on superstars part.

I just bought a new wheel for my road bike, it wasnt £1000 and it didnt ping. The wheels I have built have never “pinged”. I think if you build them properly then they shouldnt do this.

cp

all new handbuilt wheels will ping when you set off riding for the first time

No they don’t! If they do, they’ve not been finished off all that well.

MadPierre

10mm difference in fork travel will make hardly any difference. No point in messing it about. Just put them on and ride

composite
    Free Member

I currently have 4 super star wheels in all.

One pair were off the shelf and pinged when I first rode them, but surprisingly I didn’t need to adjust afterwards this.

One wheel was a custom spec. option, which didn’t ping.

The other wheel I built myself from Superstar components, which also didn’t ping.

smcicr
    Free Member

Ok – many thanks again for all the help – in terms of the forks then:

2012 RLT Revs or 2013 RL’s?

They are both around the £300 mark after discounts – looks like the 2013’s are now solo air over the dual air of the 2012’s.

I’ve had a look at some other threads on here for the RL vs RLT differences and they don’t seem a major concern for me from what I understand of it. It’s more a case of solo air or dual air – any recommendations?

Cheers.

xiphon
    Free Member

If a wheel is properly tensioned, it won’t ping (even on it’s first ride)

RustyMac

If it was my choice id go for the 2012 RLT’s for the dual air adjustability.

smcicr
    Free Member

Thanks all – wheels and fork ordered (went for the 2013 RL’s in the end – I think simple is better for me in terms of setup / adjustability!)

FWIW – both orders have dispatched already – fantastic turnaround from both Merlin and Superstar – very impressed.

Appreciate all the input.

zangolin
    Free Member

Plus 5 for what the others have said. Well built wheels don’t ping when you first ride them.
    Just got a pair of SS wheels for the jump bike – quick 10 mins to stress + true up before riding them. Quality pg Sapim spokes also. Cheap as chips but good quality.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Superstar Wheels (with fork side q)’ is closed to new replies.