Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • superstar wheels in particular…….
  • vondally
    Free Member

Tech2 EVO AM/Enduro 135 Switch Wheelset,

Any experiences especially,
    are they any good?
    Are the weights at 1950 grams accurate?

looking for a general trail bike build with 2.3 tyres, and these look great value…..but is there a trick?

sparkyrhino

ive been running am490 for about 8 month,i have superlegero rear hub,they have had some hammer/miles/mud on them,not had a problem at all,never weighed them not fussed in that kind of detail.running xr4’s 2.35 so no problem there.good value

BoardinBob

XC430s for two years now with zero problems.

Euro
    Free Member

Didn’t weigh mine either, but felt reasonable.

Wheels themselves have been superb. Showed the rear a spoke key twice in 2 years of dh use. Really surprised how strong they are for an AM rim. Front still nice and tight. They take 2.35 tyres no problem too.

Only trick might be quality control. I seem to have a good set, but even a bad pair wont take much to put right. For the money they’re hard to beat and i’d happily get another pair.

nealy
    Free Member

I’ve had my Tech 2 AM 135 wheelset for a year and would recommend them. They’ve been true apart from when I’ve crashed (very) hard but both times I made use of their free truing service so only cost £11ish to send them back via Parcelforce then they returned them for free a week later. The bearings in mine lasted 6 months before they felt rough and the front developed some play but a full replacement set of EZO bearings from Katec on ebay cost £35 and was easy to fit using a screwdriver and hammer. I knew the bearings weren’t going to be the best quality but they don’t last for ever in any wheels and they’re easy to replace.

Both mine came with normal QR adapters, the front weighed 1019g and the rear 1100g so a bit over the stated weight but not too much. I’ve since swapped to their 9mm and 10mm adapters and bolt thru QR’s which I’d receommend from new if you’ve got normal dropouts.

hambl90
    Free Member

I have been running the am 490 rims with the switch evo hubs for a few years now, only had to change the rear bearings once, front still spins like new . Definitely recommend them .

andyrm
    Free Member

Been running a different set (Switch Evo on Alex Rims Supra 30, built by SS) for almost a year, seeing lots of Enduro race action in the UK and Europe. 2 bearing changes (standard, I expect to do this a couple of times a year and they cost pence from a bearing supplier) and one new spoke.

Absolutely spot on.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’ve two separate wheelsets with switch hubs. I’ve had no build problems or issues with tensioning at all. But both sets have had cartridge bearing replacements rather earlier than I expected – not that this is worrisome or expensive. VGVFM IMO.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Very happy with my AM 490S here, they get some serious hammer on the lakes descents (Nukeproof Mega) the only issue was I thought they were built a little slack when i got them, Once i re-tensioned the spokes i have never touched them at all, the free hub seems well sealed too.

(I use 2.4 dual ply tyres)

exellent vfm.

nickdavies

Running Mavic 719’s on switch hubs, been fine for over 12 months. Happy with mine. Weight as about right, can’t remember exact numbers but I checked them when I had them against what they should have been.

theotherjonv

Any experience of the pacenti rims that superstar are carrying? Any good?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘superstar wheels in particular…….’ is closed to new replies.