Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Superstar wheel deal, hubs any good?
  • twoniner
    Free Member

Looking for some new wheels for the whyte. Seen these on superstar

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=74&products_id=496

Anyone got any thoughts/experience with the Switch Evo Hubs?

Spin
    Free Member

Do a search, there was a fairly long fairly recent thread on Superstar hubs.

To summarise, it certainly put me off!

GaVgAs
    Free Member

No doubt there will be the superstar haters along here soon but..

I have the Trizoid hubs on 490 Rims,although they were a bit slack out of the box, overall they are a great value wheelset, they have been excellent on the lakes trails,and get some serious abuse, a favourite on the local Keswick night rides, Highly recommended.. 😉

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

I have had some evo hubs for around 2 years now and apart from some bearings they have been excellent.

scotroutes

I was looking at some and recent threads made me think again.

widge34
    Free Member

I’ve had no problems with my evo switch hubs, been running them well over a year now.

retro83
    Free Member

I think you’ll find negative posts about any component. People love a moan (myself firmly included!)

Mine have been reet so far. Much quieter than Pro 2s they replaced, but otherwise seem perfectly good. And unlike my Hopes, they didn’t arrive with nackered bearings. 😡

The sentinel rims also seem pretty good, but the wheel build however wasn’t great. Spokes felt pretty loose, so I ended up buying a spoke key and fixed it myself.

joelm76
    Free Member

Mine have been fine too, as above I’ve had to tighten spokes a couple of times, but it’s very rocky on my local loops so this would be normal for any wheelbuild. The hubs have been great, coming up to a year’s worth of use in all weather with no issues.

DT78
    Free Member

if you are handy with a spoke key they are good value

b45her
    Free Member

no problem with my tesla hub’d wheels either, superbly built incredibly smooth bearings and they don’t sound like a skeleton having a **** in a biscuit tin either, unlike some other well known hubs i’ve owned.

Bregante

Switch evo hubs here. Superb.

shermer75
    Free Member

They are hand made by Dave Hinde who gave Lance Armstrong all his drugs and once married Adolf Hitler

Spin
    Free Member

I think you’ll find negative posts about any component.

This is true but it was the number of negatives accompanied by stories of poor after sales that put me off.

timidwheeler
    Free Member

I have crests on switch evo hubs. I had to have the wheels retensioned after two weeks. Six months later no problems at all.

twoniner
    Free Member

Cheers for all the replies. For £200 for the stans Flow 29er in white on Switch evo hubs you cant really go wrong.

I will ring em tomorrow see if they have some built to pick up. It’s good to see no real negative replies above.

trusty

I’ve got the switch hubs. Fronts been great, but I managed to shear the freehub into 3 pieces and snapped the rear axle. Apart from that it’s been fine!

superfli
    Free Member

Excellent switch evo on flows. Decent build, bearings replaced after 18months. As good as my hope pro 2.

ere isnt a lot to a hub, so as long as freewheel and bearings are changeable and cheap then no worries.

KevinPP
    Free Member

Hubs are fine. Bearings are a bit crap but easily (and cheaply) replaced with better quality ones when they do go. Mine lasted about 12 months. Didn’t stop me getting another one for my new wheels. Even with new bearings they are cheaper than Hopes, and just as light.

smoothchicken

Had a pair of ZTR Flows on Switch Evos for about 2 years, no issues. Just bought another pair but 29ers based on my experience, good value I’d say

Cheezpleez

I’ve had 26 Crests on Switch Evos for a year and they have been superb. A better build than the Hope Hoops I’ve got and no need to re-tension or change bearings so far. Just bought some Flow 29er wheels from them. No complaints.

miranmtb
    Free Member

Alloy Switch EVO freehub is crap, still a good value wheelset.

jairaj

my switch hubs have been fine. had them for over 2 years only changed the bearings after 18 months.

Superstar also offer a free lifetime truing for the original owner and also have a crash replacement policy to get you back on the bike on the cheap.

Northwind

Seen a few of the Switch freehubs broken like that but it’s an easy part to replace and there was no quibbling. Not ideal but wouldn’t be a dealbreaker for me. Not sure about the Tesla.

SS’s aftersales can be questionable… But to be honest at the prices you can almost consider it a collection of parts, even if you’re unhappy with the build and decide to pay for a rebuild immediately, it’s still not a bad deal.

_tom_
    Free Member

Would the freehub breaking like that be more or less likely to happen if used on a singlespeed? As I was gonna get a set of switch evo hubs for my new ss build.

warpcow
    Free Member

The broken freehub is a common thing on quite a few Novatec hub. They even replaced them all with steel freehubs on their own-branded wheelsets. Happened to my Superstars, aswell as the bearings dying quickly, but they’re all common and easily replaced so I’d still say the wheels are good value overall.

jairaj

Is the broken freehub a warranty job? Or is that considered wear and tear or crash damage?

superfli
    Free Member

My mate got his freehub changed under warranty. He got a steel replacement, no problems. They arent expensive anyhow.

composite
    Free Member

Had 2 sets of wheels on Switch evo’s and used them both for about 2 years with no issues what so ever. Still on the first set of bearings in each. Both had the alu freehub. I bought a steel one to have to hand if required and it hasn’t been required… yet.

hugoagogo
    Free Member

I got some superstar switch/ stans flows wheels and wish I’d paid a bit more for some decent wheels. The spokes loosened after a couple of rides on pretty flat ground, had to have them tensioned twice – you could twiddle them with your finger and thumb they were that lose.

The rear bearings went pretty quickly the front lasted a couple of months longer. All in all I’m less than impressed, they’ll be getting put right and **** off. Lesson learned, you buy cheap you buy twice.

wobbem
    Free Member

Have switch evo for 2 years, recommend but with steel freehubs, I destroyed my alloys as above.

grim168
    Free Member

I got flows on evo hubs a few weeks ago and they’ve been fine round gisburn. I’m over 15 stone as well.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Superstar wheel deal, hubs any good?’ is closed to new replies.