Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • superstar tesla with pacenti rims any real experiences ?
  • richen987
    Free Member

Looking at some new cheapish wheels, saw these and thought they look good deal.
    Tesla on tl28 650b rims.
    Rims and hubs get pretty well reviewed in the press and sapim spokes as well .
    Anyone ride them and have any real world experience of them ?
    Read plenty of anecdotal pluses and minuses for superstar.
    But really after real world experiences please.

Cheers

FOG

I have a pair on 26in and they have been fine. Such is the level of comment about SS on here that I have actually checked the spoke tension after every ride , something I have never done before, with no problems discovered.
    The wheels are used on a Soul in the Peaks twice a week and so far (6 months ) are fine.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Be prepared for an octopus attack and you will be reet.

andyrm
    Free Member

Been running Tesla hubs on SS Sentinel rims all seasons. Hubs absolutley bang on, bearings still super smooth, freehub fine. Nice wheels, mine seem all good – rear needed a little tweak after a month or so but for a wheelset that’s seen hard UK & international enduro use, they have done very well.

Maybe look at the SS Tactic rim instead?

jasonm945
    Free Member

I have just had my rear Tesla replaced under warranty (which has taken weeks and been like pulling teeth), but overall I would rate them quite highly. They also currently have the new Tesla Evo’s coming in to stock which sound amazing when spun up.
    I also have superstar road wheels which had a 1cm radial drift when I bought them and had to be retrued and tightened before riding.
    I would recommend going for it but just checking before you ride as things may need a tweak 😉

Jay

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Freehub is not good under big loads

Already warrantied once, failed again

andyrm
    Free Member

Freehub is not good under big loads

Mine’s been fine.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I’m bigger than most 😀

davosaurusrex

Build was fine but free hub on mine failed twice in under 200 miles. Got a refund.

richen987
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice, I am fairly light so prob won’t be putting massive loads through them will probably give them a go seeing as the price is so good at the moment.

milko9000
    Free Member

Had mine about a year now, no problems at all. I am only 75kg in riding gear so probably don’t punish them too bad, but on the other hand I do ride plenty of rough stuff with a somewhat rustic technique. TL-28 in 26er size.

dlr

TL28 29er setup for about a year, been fine (as have my other 3 sets of Superstar wheels aside from naff original bearings in their Switch hubs). Survived a crash which snapped a frame and bent a steerer, ok it was straight on into a stump but just a minor bend on the lip

I see they now have the Tesla Evo hub which can be bought with an XX1 compatible freehub if thats your sort of thing

I have heard reports of freehub issues on the original Tesla, mines been ok except the odd loud crack noise, never actually slipped

_tom_
    Free Member

I have some pacenti dl21s on switch hubs and they’ve been spot on so far.

richen987
    Free Member

Ok gone for the tesla evos with the pacenti tl28 on 650b
    Will see how they go and report back when have ridden them a bit .
    Thanks for all your feedback and input

thelumberjack
    Free Member

I know this looks like a blatant plug but I just wrote up a review of the TL28/Tesla combo which can be seen here –

http://thelumberjackmtb.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/thelumberjack-reviews-pacenti-tl28-rims.html

I don’t know if this is useful to anyone here on the thread but worth a shot! Feel free to tell me I’m wrong/misguided…

thelumberjack
    Free Member

Oh and it is a blatant plug I suppose, Ill apologize in advance, it was well intentioned though!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Mine were built up by Superstar Component’s excellent wheel builders

Superstar Components … have a proven record now of sourcing good kit at reasonable prices and then building it well

Spoke tension held up well for the first couple of weeks (perfectly acceptable) and 5mins in the truing stand squared them away again after some early loosening

So they are excellent wheel builders but you had to retension them – doesn’t compute.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘superstar tesla with pacenti rims any real experiences ?’ is closed to new replies.