Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Superstar tech 4 wheelset?
  • v9gss

Has anyone ridden these?

Seem pretty good value and bikeradar gave them a decent review.
    Wondered if anyone had a maybe more objective opinion?

I expect at least 2 pages of hatred for random other superstar products. 😀

crush83
    Free Member

interested in this too as considering them for a build I am doing

Northwind

Not specifically those wheels but I’ve had 4 Superstar wheels, 2 built excellently, 1 built adequately, one built pretty horribly (needed rebuilt after about 200 miles of tarmac; I bought their “bombproof XC wheels” for a commuter). They’re good enough value that I don’t really mind- I couldn’t buy the parts for what the wheels cost, even with a full rebuild they were still a bargain. But I did bear it in mind when buying the second set of wheels!

beer247
    Free Member

Think they were reviewed on the Dirt website a couple of months ago.

The conclusion was good value wheels but pretty hefty.

Guess its the age-old adage, strong, light, cheap – Pick two.

crankrider
    Free Member

Its one of those potentailly ‘buy cheap buy twice’ products.

Some people seem to get years out of them, even if they are hacks. Some people get 6 months until the hubs explode.

On the other hand, most people that buy a hope wheelset get ages out of them and never have to worry about them dropping the whole range of products with no support for the old ones when they move the a ‘new design’ or UK made stuff.

On a superstar related note – has anybody seen the video of them making pedals here in the UK – aside from the pedal looking a little cheap they look to be calling it the ‘Nano’ and replacing the HT Componetns made stuff with them – Naughty isnt it, considering ‘nano’ is HT’s name for this range of pedal.

I wonder what happened there – Have HT stopped supply now they have a UK distro, or does SS think they can do it cheaper / better here now?

JPR
    Free Member

4.5 stars from bikeradar

The Dirt review reads oddly – poorly written and some strange reasoning.

Basically from what I can tell they are a very good wheelset – even more so considering their price. I’m planning on picking up a ex23 rim and swapping it on to my front wheel. I’ve got superstar xc-430 rims at the moment and the ex23 only adds about 50g/wheel.

Northwind

JPR – Member

The Dirt review reads oddly – poorly written and some strange reasoning.

Doesn’t sound odd to me?

dnjhnsn
    Free Member

I’ve had a rear Tech 4 DS25 for 3 months now, really happy with it. Bought because free hub broke on the wheel the bike came with after only a few rides. Very similar to a Stans ex flow rim. I have mine tubeless and the tyre pops on the bead nicely – there is a small raised bead for the tyre to get over before it seats. They do not seem to shout about this like say Hope do with there rims (nice CAD drawing) but I think its a really good feature. Hub is ok so far along with spoke tension. Its been hammered at a couple of enduro’s too. For half the price of the nearest mainstream serious option it was worth it in my opinion.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Got a pair for the GF’s DH bike and I was really impressed. £135 price tag was pretty unbelievable too!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Superstar tech 4 wheelset?’ is closed to new replies.