Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Superstar Switch rear axle – anyone else keep breaking them?
  • dannyh
    Free Member

I’ve had the cassette fall off twice in the last four months when the main rear axle has snapped in my Switch rear hub. Anyone else had problems?

I did keep finding that the threaded end was working loose on the first one, so thought that might be the issue. This time I put thread lock on it and it had not come undone when it broke. They break on the drive side either flush with the wheel bearing or a bit further out.

Am I just being unlucky or do I need to bite the bullet and get a Hope freehub?

BoardinBob

Had 3 sets with zero problems and I’m a heavy rider

legend
    Free Member

Last thread like this the wrong axle was bein used iirc. They are rebadged Novatecs so made by the thousand, and generally very reliable

warpcow
    Free Member

Same as Bob for me, sorry. Has the freehub got the spacer in it? If it was missing it might put more stress on the axle where your’s break.

nant
    Free Member

Mine seems to be ok. Have had them a year. I weigh about 18 stone and I’m pretty harsh with them.

docrobster
    Free Member

I have one that was fine for 5 or more years then I snapped two or three axles (qr) in quick succession. Swapped to bolt through and everything is fine again (touch wood)

Cheezpleez

My brother snapped his recently, flush with the cassette/freehub. It’s qr. do SS have spares?

coatesy
    Free Member

Sounds like they’re breaking at the weak point/stress-raiser of the axle, what frame and qr axle are you using? Hope (and probably others) went through a spate of failures on Pro2 hubs when Sram decided to waist the centre section of Maxle-lites, leaving that section unsupported, and back in 2007, Orange 5’s broke Hope Sport qr axles for fun (once a month on my previously reliable hub, cured with a Deore proper freehub system that i’m still running to this day in a Trigger’s broom capacity).

gelert
    Free Member

While we’re on Switch Hub spares. Superstar don’t have any XD drivers for the Switch hub and I asked them months ago and again a few weeks ago when they’d be in and they keep saying a few weeks which is clearly not happening.

Does anybody know if this is the right part? It looks like it to me but I’m only comparing photos on SS site to this one.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/novatec-b2-cassette-body-for-11-speed-sram-xd/

SJS also have the axles as spares but I’m unsure which one is the right one. Mine is definitely the steel one and hasn’t broken but does loosen itself. I always remember to check it every few rides and have the cone spanners handy. Might be a helpful source if SS haven’t got any for some of you above.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/novatec-hub-spares/?page=2

Personally I was always waiting for the Switch Hubs to go pop and willing to re-lace the Carbon hoops with Hope Hubs but in fairness I’ve not had any issues with them so far and they’ve done over two years of riding. I broke a spoke recently and had that repaired and re-trued. If more than a few went though I’d get it re-built on a Hope hub.

I’ve had end cap issues with the front hub where the tiny elastic seal has swollen and won’t fit back in behind the end caps. Luckily one side went and I bought a new set of end caps. Then the other side went recently and so I already had the spare handy by chance. I don’t know if SS have those still or not.

Bit of a ball ache that they’ve more or less ditched keeping spares for wheel sets they must have sold hundreds of thousands of pairs of. Leaving us to look up Novatech part numbers to get spares.

I’m wondering if I’d be better putting the £46 for the Novatec XD driver towards a wheel rebuild anyway on a Hope Hub. Then I’m wondering how much longer I’ll be running 26 inch wheels.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve been running Swtich hubs in one format or another for 5 years now I think, apart from cracking freebodies at rate of about one every 18 months I’ve never had an issue. My G-Spot had a QR rear too, and I battered that poor bike.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

gelert – yes that’s the right freehub body I think, the Superstar Switch rear hub is a Novatec D882SB.

kimbers

I’ve been running Swtich hubs in one format or another for 5 years now I think, apart from cracking freebodies at rate of about one every 18 months I’ve never had an issue.

+1

gelert
    Free Member

@HoratioHufnagel thanks that’s great to know.

docrobster
    Free Member

Yes that is useful to know thanks horatio…

rsl1
    Free Member

My switch Evo freehub cracked at 3 years old. Replaced it with switch ultra (discounted despite being out of warranty to be fair to them) and then broke about 4 axles in 5 rides. Superstar upgraded me to 9mm through axle as they said I must ride too aggressively but axle still snapped. The ratchet teeth then started spinning inside the hub body so I gave up and went hope… 2 years later on normal qr and no problems 🙂

Marge
    Free Member

I’ve only broken one but the replacement one still doesn’t feel great. Feels like their is some flex in it

1timmy1
    Free Member

My switch ultra has been fine using 135x10mm and a DT Swiss RWS. I must not ride hard enough 😉

I spoke to Superstar and they are bringing manufacturing of hubs back to the UK, so I guess selling all old stock and not getting much in while they make the change.

dannyh
    Free Member

Just ordered a steel version hoping the obvious properties of steel will be better in a high-stress component. 🙄

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Superstar Switch rear axle – anyone else keep breaking them?’ is closed to new replies.