Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Superstar Switch EVO Hubs with stans Flow – any good?
  • zempy

After some new tubeless wheels and was wondering if the Superstar Switch EVO Hubs with stans Flow are any good?

or

Should I just pay the extra for a set of hope hoops?

Never had any real problems with superstar but I know a lot have.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

The EVO hubs are good. The rims are good. I’ve got them on 2 different rear wheels.

I’ve heard some complaints of the SS builds but luckily mine (on SS AM rims) have been fine. I’ve had more bother with my hope hubs TBH (squeaky seal, worn bearings, breaking pawl springs).

sam2391
    Free Member

My front disc wheel from them was built symetrically, instead of asymetric, I didnt realise until a few months later when I was unlacing it, but hubs were great.

zempy

Cheers, I was thinking about getting some, then going to my local shop to check all the spoke tensions etc…

Must say i’ve also had problems with my pro 2’s!

zempy

jesus, symetric front disc hub build. Thats bad!

Did they sort it out?

sam2391
    Free Member

I was unlacing the wheel to rebuild a pro II into the rim, as part of my cytech qualification, so never bothered to complain.

TrentSteel
    Free Member

who cares if if built symetrically or not, I think the general consensus on that is it doesn’t matter at all

zempy

symetrically is how you would build a non disc brake hub isnt it?

bigjim

The build on my superstar rear was very poor, spokes on non drive side came completely loose after a couple of rides.

Northwind

A mate of mine had the exact same thing- wheels loosened up after 2 rides. When he sent them back, Superstar said “You bought the wrong wheels, for the sort of riding you do you need the downhill wheels”- this so that a 456 could do 2 laps of glentress red. GNAR!

So, they sent a set of DH wheels, which were built a bit better but still pretty poor- quite a lot of runout, and uneven tension. Considering that was a replacement set, most companies would send their best, not the absolute worst they could get away with.

Bregante

Conversely, mine have been faultless over the last 12 months 🙂

warpcow
    Free Member

The individual parts are great. The actual builds can be very shaky. Both my front and rear wheels had to be retensioned within a couple of weeks. Been perfect since then though.

jwt
    Free Member

For the price and what your actually getting, I’d just get them trued and tensioned by the LBS to be sure.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

Or buy Hope ones and keep jobs in the UK.

emac65
    Free Member

Bought some ealier in the year,they’ve been used loads, as well as doing The Rough Ride,CYB enduro & 6 laps of a very gritty D2D…Still going fine….

hambl90
    Free Member

Not used flow rims myself but I use the superstar switch evo hubs on my wheels and they have been great , much better than the nukeproof generator hubs I had before them and you can get adapters for all axle sizes .

zempy

Thanks everyone.

I’ve just bought some! (white rims, was that a mistake???)

Once I’ve got them I’ll give them to the local bike shop to check the tensions.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

White rims are heavier than black ones.

Northwind

jwt – Member

For the price and what your actually getting, I’d just get them trued and tensioned by the LBS to be sure.

Hope Hoops prices have come way back down, so the SS ones aren’t the deal they were any more

PH1

No problems with mine!

freeagent
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with mine either – I’m well pleased with them.

dan1980
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with mine, the rear went a little sqewiffy after about 6 months, got it trued at the lbs and it’s been straight every since. (6 months later…)

kamina
    Free Member

Two friends with EVO hubs both had the rear crack in less then a year. Personally I would get something else…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Superstar Switch EVO Hubs with stans Flow – any good?’ is closed to new replies.