• This topic has 17 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by teef.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Superstar rotors yay or nay ?
  • oldfart

Been using their pads no problem , need a new rotor for my Formula RXs . Superstar wave design for a tenner can’t be bad . Any good or avoid ? 180mm BTW

shifter
    Free Member

Yay for me, also on RXs.

johnnystorm

I’ve not had any problems.

kimbers

been fine for me , put it a lot of miles this summer and no probs

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Mine have been. Better than my avids anyway. 😀

Northwind

Seeing the way the floating ones had worn on a guide’s bike, I’d say no… Extremely uneven wear and they’d not lasted well.

I’ve got one of the standard ones though and it’s been fine- it was suspiciously identical to an old Tektro rotor I had. Then again the other one from that pair had its bolt holes drilled offcentre.

chakaping
    Free Member

Superstar wave design

had these for years, no probs at all

mboy
    Free Member

Just as with most Superstar products, they’re a generic Far Eastern product made for them by someone else. No bad thing per se, but you’ll see these rotors elsewhere under other brand labels as well. If you googled A2Z and Teppan Yaki for instance, it would give you links to the same rotors under other brand names, and I think I’ve seen them under the Clarks and XLC brands too.

Personally I’m less of a fan of the wave design, but if you like the look of them then go for them, they’ll function just fine.

andyrm
    Free Member

Just fitted new floating ones (same design as Clarks/UberBike) and very pleased with them. Had the old floating ones on my old bike and they were very good, just worked, with lots of hard use over 18 months.

They’re rotors, just buy them.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Hated mine, gouged to hell after a few months of riding… couple of Shimano steel ones are fine over 18months later though.

_tom_
    Free Member

I have one of their 203mm ones on the back of my bike thats done loads of downhill miles, I’d say they’re fine. It’s looking in better shape than the Hope one that’s on the front.

honourablegeorge

Ribble had shimano rotors near half price earlier in the week

billyboulders
    Free Member

Bought a pair (180/160) of superstar wave pattern rotors for some of the CRC £14.99 deore brakes and they’ve been fine, just as good as any other rotors I’ve had. Good braking performance and no unusual wear to report.

They’re rotors, just buy them.

tinybits
    Free Member

Hated mine, gouged to hell after a few months of riding… couple of Shimano steel ones are fine over 18months later though.

+1, on old style XT brakes, and I never got rid of the squeak until I changed to Shimano either.

simon1975

Cheers for the Ribble tip-off, honourablegeorge 🙂

bigjim

They’re fine, one I had was a bit thicker than shimano, formula or avid ones I’ve had, but its a round bit of steel with some holes in it for a suitable price.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I bought a Vibe one and it was a different thickness from one side of the rotor to the other by about 0.05mm, under braking you could feel it snatching so I sent it straight back. So it’s a nay from me.

To add a bit of balance, a mate of mine has been using Flame’s for a couple of years without any problems.

teef
    Free Member

The new Superstar floating rotors hole design means you’ll end up with uneven wear – two concentric circles with a strip in between. Surely the the strip will wear less than the holed area – you’ll end up with a ridge in the middle and troughs either side.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Superstar rotors yay or nay ?’ is closed to new replies.