Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Superstar Pave28 – any good
  • atlaz
    Free Member

As above. Heavily discounted at the moment and cheaper than rebuilding my current wheelset as the rims are almost finished but I assume there has to be a catch

mrhoppy

I used them on my synapse. Seemed pretty good to me and they coped with my fat ass without going out of true even on TotBC.

jamesoz

Mine survived a lap of Swinley with 25c tyres and a 100kg rider. Still true and no dents.

Only issue I’ve had in a year is the rimstrips move causing annoying punctures. Easily fixed with tape.

globalti
    Free Member

Yes there is a catch; my son and my cycling buddy both had a a set and at first they loved the light weight and the stiffness. However, as they say, you can have light, cheap and strong but not all three at once and these wheels are light and cheap but not very strong. We had two rims dented in relatively minor accidents and the bearings didn’t really do very well in real world conditions. The rebuild service was efficient though. Both sets got retired within about 12 months and our rebuilt wheels are now on my wife’s bike; she’s petite and doesn’t ride much so they’ll be fine for her.

joefm

Done a few hundred on mine now and seem ok. Great for the price. Can see them lasting for a while.

jamesoz

globalti – Member
    Yes there is a catch; my son and my cycling buddy both had a a set and at first they loved the light weight and the stiffness. However, as they say, you can have light, cheap and strong but not all three at once and these wheels are light and cheap but not very strong. We had two rims dented in relatively minor accidents and the bearings didn’t really do very well in real world conditions. The rebuild service was efficient though. Both sets got retired within about 12 months and our rebuilt wheels are now on my wife’s bike; she’s petite and doesn’t ride much so they’ll be fine for her.

Odd, I hit what felt like every hole and sounded like every stone riding these off road with skinny tyres and vowed not to be so stupid again. They’ve not needed so much as touching with a spoke key.
    I’ve prob done 1000 miles on road. Maybe I’m lucky? They’ll probably fold in half next time I ride it!

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve got some light and reasonably bombproof DTSwiss wheels on at the moment so don’t fancy too much of a retrograde step. I may just spend a bit more and get them rebuilt or something like some Fulcrum Racing 3 or Campag Zonda then

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Superstar Pave28 – any good’ is closed to new replies.