Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Superstar pads (if you don't use them, go away..)
  • RealMan
    Free Member

Does anyone still get the pad bit falling off?

It happened to my dad a few months ago, and it happened to me yesterday.

Only interested in recent experiences (in the last 12 months).

I don’t care if you spend £30 on your pair of pads and never have any trouble.

EDIT: These have been sintered pads by the way.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Not had this problem since using the new sintered pads which seem to last for ages.

Top value, I’d say, despite the haters.

Chris-M
    Free Member

Fitted some Superstar sintered a few months ago. Apart from the horrendous squealing (which stopped quite recently,) no problems at all.

postierich
    Free Member

Have you been pushing your pistons back with a screwdriver or anything sharp?

Lummox

probably used 10 pairs and never had a failure, these were a mix of sintered and organic too.

ignore the haters

notjustabike
    Free Member

Used them for ages and never had any problems yet the last two sets I’ve had have had the pad fall away from the backing. It’s a shame really as they seem to last forever if they don’t break before they wear out.

confuzzed
    Free Member

Have been using the semi metallic/organic pads on my hardtail and downhill bikes for 6 months. No bits have fallen off, and they seem as hard wearing as any others.

rob2
    Free Member

as above. Use sintered and no problems and all round very good. No squeaks either!

retro83
    Free Member

i think it can happen to any pad, I’ve had it happen to an Avid OE pad, not a SS one yet though. I seem to recall somebody saying it had happened to their OE Hope pads too.

stumpy01

Reckon I’ve been using them for 3 yrs and never had a problem although they do tend to die quite quick if not bedded in.

marsdenman
    Free Member

No probs here (at least not in given timescale, before that had a batch that seemed to glaze at the drop of a hat..)… still using ’em, still happy….

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

kevlar ones here on 2 bikes. no problems with them

mmb
    Free Member

no problems ever here!.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’ve had a few do it. so few it doesn’t really bother me.

quite often after i wash the bike (don’t do this often!) i think its related to water.

Del

one de-laminated on a mate a couple of weeks ago. he put a part worn one in to replace it, and the other side fell off last week.

scaredypants

I pay £30 a pair and never have any problems

Chris-S
    Free Member

My Avids are still good after 2000+ miles

joolsburger
    Free Member

Sintered superstars on Avids no problems, last ages, no squealing.

Northwind

Never had it with Superstar but I’ve had it with Disco sintered. Had big chunks (but not the whole pad) come off Shimano OEM and EBC (Shimano shape). I’ve used Superstar more than all that lot and under harder conditions without any problems at all, but pads do sometimes fail so if it was to happen I wouldn’t get too excited about it unless it recurred I reckon.

swavis

Sintered superstars on Avids no problems, last ages, lot’s of squealing.
    But really happy with them apart from the noise, hey ho.

gab344
    Free Member

I am currently using superstar sintered pads in some avid juicys, front and rear, no problems to report, no worse than the “genuine” avid pads.

Hope this helps.

_tom_
    Free Member

I’m using the sintered ones in my Juicy 5s and no problems here. Been riding with them since the start of the year I think.

stevede
    Free Member

Went through four sets of organic superstars in quicker than i’m used to sort of time frame (excuse the bad england), for the price i can’t grumble but have gone back to hope pads now with superstars as spare’s in the pack for emergency use.

pitduck
    Free Member

mine are ok 🙂

splashdown
    Free Member

Nope, mine are fine

hora
    Free Member

My Avids are still good after 2000+ miles

Even pro’s use their front brake. Where do you ride? Norfolk 😆

Spud

Kevlar are fine for me too..

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Superstar sintered and red, depending on season. Despite doing about 2600 off-road miles, I’ve used only one set of sintered last winter and one set of reds this summer. No other problems.

I’ve not had the material dropping off any pad ever, although the first generation superstar pads (3 years ago?)were pretty low-life. IME that, and his pretty poor behaviour on here got them their reputation, but they seem to have corrected the problems some time ago.

montylikesbeer

my kevlar ss pads are superb and lasting well

Zoolander
    Free Member

Have been using the Kevlar ones and never a problem. Cant remember the last time I changed them either – the last lot seem to be lasting forever.

grimey
    Free Member

Yep. Fitted a set of SS sintered pads a couple of weeks ago and after one ride came to check them and the whole brake surface fell away from the backing of one of the pads. Not good. Not using again.

rp16v
    Free Member

iv been using them for the last year did bike fest and oktober fest on them,slogging in gritty mud to dusty quarry’s never had a problem with them

luked2
    Free Member

Never had a problem with SS pads (sintered). Been using nothing else for several years.

knottie8
    Free Member

no problems here with sintered (total of 4 sets used), stop well and last well.

neninja
    Free Member

I’ve got the kevlar ones – seem to be lasting an age and no issues with them at all

TheFopster
    Free Member

Have used sintered in Juicys for a year with no issues except the noise. No complaints.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

i have used them in the last 12 months but with a very bad experience,but as your title is if you don,t use them go away.ill do just that as i now dont use them. & take my bad experience with me .

Potdog
    Free Member

Use them a lot here and never had a problem.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

used in anger today 2 brand new pairs on xt 775 brakes, and incredible, as well powered as the shimano resin ones, 2 pairs for the price of 1 set of shimanos, and unbelievably quiet as a mouse! been through mud/wet/sand/grit/more mud/ streams etc and not a sound, didnt even get a squeal after they were submerged in water! awesome! and no visible wear at all after a 30mile peaks ride today!!! very impressed!

robhughes
    Free Member

nope all,s well here.kevlar and organic

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Superstar pads (if you don't use them, go away..)’ is closed to new replies.