Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Superstar Kevlar Pads
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Just got some but not fitted – Had a few recommendations but anyone else used them i.e. longevity or delaminating problems?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Running them on two bikes. They've lasted for ages, but that may be down to the weather more than the pads themselves.

skiprat
    Free Member

fitted some a few months ago and they are still going well. Loads of power, just touch the lever and the back end is locked. A little grabby at first but loads of power.

Plenty of pad left but as above, may be due to dry weather and not just the pad. Bugger to fit (to Avids) had to scrape baking plate down a bit on the outer edges but worth it in the end.

rickon
    Free Member

Yep – mine have been fine too. Fairly quite, glazed over – but that happens when it gets a bit dusty. Sanded down after a couple of rides, and they're spot on.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Cheers 🙂 I'll fit them and find out 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

I really like mine, Fishers fitted stock Avid pads to the rear of my XX brake after a service and they're nowhere near as good as the SS Kevlar jobbies!

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

i like them, but in the wet they did suffer in terms of longevity. they last ages in the dry but only a few rides in the wet. i ride in the peaks though where it can be hell for most pads!

njee20
    Free Member

Ah, yes… The Gorrick Enduro did this to mine:

But then everyone trashed pads, and the rear ones weren't new when I started either.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Got them on my remedy – seem very good so far this summer – but not ridden in the wet yet. Very powerful.

glenh
    Free Member

Been running 2 pair on 2 bikes since last year.

Not worn out yet. It has been pretty dry though.

nickegg
    Free Member

I'm still waiting to try mine but the dry weather means i havn't had the chance…not that i'm complaining of course!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Cheers guys – all fitted just need to ride 🙂

racing_ralph
    Free Member

why would you ask opinion when you already have them!!

Brown
    Free Member

PROS – Loads of stopping power in the dry and they last FOR EVER.

CONS – have bog all power when wet (really, NO power) and squeal like annoying little b*stard stuck pigs until they get hot enough to burn the water off… brings me to point 2 – they get HOT and smelly on long (dry) descents (although this hasn't caused any problems in itself).

Northwind

"CONS – have bog all power when wet (really, NO power"

Not my experience at all in my XTs or Oros, they still stop me just as fast as I want in the wet.

Very impressed with mine, I kind of torture tested them at fort william at the weekend by mincing down the downhill route with the back brake deathgripped on the entire time :mrgreen: Didn't miss a beat. And they've been equally as good for muddy winter rides, XC racing (badly) and everything else I've asked for them. Not as long lived as sintered pads but still very respectable.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

i've got them in my hope V2 and M4 brakes. they screamed to hell in morzine and the squeal on my local trails.
    good stuff though*. about to order some more.

*it's just a way of telling you you're braking too much and going too slow

foxyrider
    Free Member

RR – Can I not ask peoples opinions even if I have them but not used them no? I had not fitted them and having a bad experience with the old SS pads de-laminating I was still a bit reluctant to fit them – You can send stuff back you know !!

Cheers guys will be nice to see if they are good – I have some sintered pads for the winter anyway 🙂

racing_ralph
    Free Member

what was the point buying BEFORE seeking opinion??

surfer
    Free Member

why would you ask opinion when you already have them!!

Possibly for the wealth of rellevant and useful info that users have kindly posted!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Best pads I've ever used. Slightly better than the much more expensive Shimano pads. 1 set lasted me half a week in Verbier, all through the autumn, winter and most of the spring before I had to change them.

foxyrider
    Free Member

bloody hell RR – I DID ask STW before I bought them but only had a limited response – give us a break dude – I just wanted a few more views before I fitted them !!

ANYWAY 🙂 thanks for all the responces – The reason why I and most people post here whether they have an item or not!!

yesiamtom
    Free Member

slight derail, just got some of these pads aswell and going to open a tin of worms. Ready?

Anyone found a way of breakign them in that is better than other methods?

Im never satisfied with my brakes power so i must be doing soemthing wrong.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Tried the out this weekend – so far great – very grippy but not too grabby 😉

robhughes
    Free Member

got them…superb.better than any other pad iv,e tried.
    sintered or organic.

abductee
    Free Member

This is good news as I've ordered some. 8 months ago they were rubbish though.
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/superstar-kevlar-pads-h1te-in-the-wet

foxyrider
    Free Member

I guess I'll be taking them off in the wet winter and put sintered on 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

I've found them good in the wet, plenty of power. The rear ones I destroyed in the photo up there had been in the brakes for months, done a long weekend in Afan in the wet, several other races etc with no discernible wear.

lorettocourt
    Free Member

Make sure you bed them in – like others have found them superb when its dry and they last well but don't last two minutes in the wet.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

just put some on the front my charge blender (juicy 3) took them straight to the nearest road hill to bomb down, all in the name of bedding them in 😀 my goodness they really do stink when hot though don't they.

Northwind

One thing that springs to mind… They grip very quickly from new, so the temptation is to stop bedding them in as soon as they start working. Do it a bit more, I reckon they need just as long to really break in as sintered do, just that they don't feel like they do.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Superstar Kevlar Pads’ is closed to new replies.