Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Superstar hubs with Flow rims or Hope hubs with Flow EX rims… which wheels?
  • wishiwascalledsteve

Right, after some new wheels to replace the Hope ProII/Mavic XM819 wheels I’va had for a while.

Stuck between Superstar Switch hubs with Stans Flow rims or the Hope hoops, ProII with Stans Flow EX rims. I had settled on the Hope Hoops, but struggling to find some that aren’t around £100 more expensive than the Superstar wheels at £200. Are the Hopes £100 better than Superstar? Is there that much difference between Flow and Flow EX (I know the EX is slightly heavier and stronger), the wheels will be on a C456 with 150mm Revelations and 2.4″ Nobby Nics. Used for everything really, XC rides, trail centres and big descents in the mountains.

Cheers

campfreddie
    Free Member

now remember to say thank you… lol

http://www.bikeoutlet.co.uk/products/Hope_Hoops_Pro2_EVO_Wheelset_Front_Rear_Pair_Stans_Flow_EX_No_Tubes_2013-2272-138.html

the website says ‘call for a price’, but the good search gives a price of £259.95 with free delivery… i would mention this quite firmly when calling for a price!

job done….

i almost bought a pair of superstar/stans wheels, but ended up going down the hope route instead… i’m on my third set now and swear by them.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hope all the way, new set just building up here 🙂 (other 2 are running sweet on other bikes)

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Hopes on Flow EX, with a coloured hub 😉

Kato

Flow EX is slightly wider than the old Flow rims

I was having the same dilemma as you, but went for the Hope’s knowing that it was easy to get spares for the hubs. Plus I like the noise!

Paid £250 for mine as I had a £50 off code for Wiggle and the extra £50 was a no brainer for me.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Took my Flow EX’s on Hope Pro II Evos out for a ride yesterday. First ride since December on the rough stuff (been on the road all this time), and first time at Aston Hill, and my first go on a DH run!

They were great. They brutalised the roots and seem so sure footed when cornering. Had big (for me) 2.35″ Hans Dampf tyres on them which didn’t hurt too, but yeah. No complaints at all. Did notice the rear wheel looked out of true when I’d finished and I’m not a heavy or a hard rider so perhaps they just need some attention.

Don’t know what the Superstar’s are like, but I don’t think you’d go wrong if you bought the EX’s in either flavour.

wishiwascalledsteve

Thanks for the advice folks, I had seen the bikeoutlet wheels, but when it showed phone for price, assumed they were out of stock or upped the price. Will phone them tomorrow.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There might be an obvious reason I’ve missed but………

Why not just build new rims onto the current hubs?

Unless you practicaly can’t and you’ve got money to burn, in which case I’ll happily build them onto the old hubs for £260!

wishiwascalledsteve

I had thought of that too, but figured that the price of rims and spokes would be around the same as new wheels minus selling old wheels on…. although my maths might be off

lap41314
    Free Member

I bought the Superstar complete build wheels you mention for my C456 build and have never regretted doing so. Quick service and the wheels look great. Been using them for about 18 months including a 10 hour mtb race and they have been faultless.

hambl90
    Free Member

Never had hope hubs but been using superstar switch evo hubs for a few years now and think they’re great , would buy again without hesitating .

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Superstar hubs with Flow rims or Hope hubs with Flow EX rims… which wheels?’ is closed to new replies.