Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Superstar floating vs shimano ice tech vs hope floating
  • RealMan
    Free Member

Experiences of any? Looking at a new set of 180mm rotors to go with my new xt brakes.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Using hope 160 mm floaters on the new 985 XTR brakes.

One world SUPERB !

Junkyard
    Free Member

would not use superstar stuff as IME it is poorly made with awful customer support…probably cannot do much wrong with a rotor tbh but I dont trust them
    My hopes would hit my Avids bolts fo the spider hitting the caliper …is this a potential issue with Hope and XT??
    can you test this first?

njee20
    Free Member

I destroyed both my Hope floating rotors in one 3 hour (very wet) race – as the pads wore I wore the rivets and they developed a lot of play. A normal rotor would’ve been fine, cost less, and some weigh less.

I’d just get ICEtech ones, or bog standard steel. I use KCNC Razors and Avid G3s with M980s, the Avids are very marginally better for some reason, but are significantly heavier.

RealMan
    Free Member

would not use superstar stuff as IME it is poorly made with awful customer support…probably cannot do much wrong with a rotor tbh but I dont trust them

Sort of feel the same thing, but they are cheap, the reviews are good, and like you say, not much you can do wrong with a rotor.

Anyone know of anywhere cheaper for ice tech then crc + £10 off £75 voucher?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d just get ICEtech ones, or bog standard steel. I use KCNC Razors and Avid G3s with M980s, the Avids are very marginally better for some reason, but are significantly heavier.

This, only I use aligator aries (cheeper than KCNC), the power difference is noteable, but unless you’re already on 203mm rotors just go up a size and still save a shedload of weight. I went from 160/140 F/R hope floaters to 180/160 aligator aries and there was a good chunk more power, but less than I’d had with more conventional looking 180/160 rotors with a more solid braking surface.

At least ICE tech rotors have some (claimed) performance benifit, even if it is only usefull on a warm dry day, a big mountain and youre dragging a brake.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’m running new XT M785 with Superstar floating 180 rotors on an Orange Five.
    The braking surface of the rotor might be a bit thicker than some other rotors (not 100% sure) so doesn’t leave a lot of clearance within the caliper.
    I didn’t find that a problem as the pistons centred-up nicely on the XTs.

The aluminium spider and the floating “rivet” thing are certainly wider than a standard rotor but clear the caliper without any issues. The only foul I experienced was the outermost ends of the ally spider contacting the tips of the bolts that attach the brake mount/adaptor to the swingarm. Easily remedied by shortening the bolts.

Overall – really happy with this combination. I’ve been running it since November. Just about down to the backing now on the first set of sintered pads and no issues experienced so far.

RealMan
    Free Member

Cheers Ecky, pretty much what I wanted to hear. What forks are you running btw?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Fork= ‘zochi 44 RC3ti 140
    standard Shimano adaptors front and rear.

khani
    Free Member

Both the superstar and hope tech2-4 floating rotors have issues with the rivets fouling certain callipers, the V2 floating rotors don’t as they have a deeper braking surface, but they don’t do a 160mm V2 rotor, they start at 180mm and they’re not available in a sawtooth flavour,
    I’ve got 180-200mm v2 rotors running with formula oro brakes on my fivespot and they work a treat, my mini sawtooth rotors foul the calipers though

RealMan
    Free Member

Heard they only foul things when running PM forks though?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Ice Tech stay true unlike my previous Hope Floaters, nor tried Superstars so can’t compare theirs

Northwind

My Hope floaters were just like normal rotors, except heavier, more expensive, and troublesome with some calipers. Zero benefit other than bling.

RealMan
    Free Member

TBH that’s all I really want.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

The shimano floaters are the best rotors i’ve ever had. I’ve had them the longest and they are still true. Hopes warp just like normal ones. Not tried SS floaters but my SS normal rotors are slightly thicker than most other brands and have stayed true longer than shimano and hope non-floaters.

So…shimano floaters or SS non-floaters for me.

njee20
    Free Member

Shimano don’t do floating rotors, they do some with an aluminium spider, but they don’t float.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

oops, neither they do! just kind of look like it. 🙂

adstick
    Free Member

Why would you not want to use Shimano rotors with Shimano Brakes?

theflatboy
    Free Member

what you want are a set of Carbon-Ti rotors, a snip at only £184 each:

RealMan
    Free Member

Lovely, but think I’ll give the SS ones a go.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Superstar floating vs shimano ice tech vs hope floating’ is closed to new replies.