Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Superstar floating rotors – any one used/rate them??
  • saracendan

Thinking of purchasing a couple of these for my commencal – anyone had any real world experience of them? I need some new rotors for it anyway and they seem to be a cheap upgrade compared to factory rotors. Currently running hayes 9(i know they’re old but i love them!) with 203mm front and 180mm rear.

deviant
    Free Member

Had a set earlier in the year, the bolts/rivets that connect the inner spider to the outer rotor sit proud of everything else and fouled on my brake caliper.
    Superstar know of the problem but dont put a warning on the description/advert for this item, their helpful response was to advise me to file away the part of the caliper that was catching on the rivets.

I decided not to bugger up my brake calipers for the sake of some cheap floating discs. To be fair to Superstar they replaced and refunded them with a normal set of rotors instead.

My brakes are Shimano so its not as if i was using some obscure boutique brake brand.
    I found i could improve my brakes in a more cost effective fashion with soft compound pads instead.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

the bolts/rivets that connect the inner spider to the outer rotor sit proud of everything else

my hope ones were like this too

sambob
    Free Member

What’s the benefit of floating rotors?

clubber
    Free Member

they look nice.

I have them on one of my bikes.

DT78
    Free Member

Colour

craig1975
    Free Member

What’s the benefit of floating rotors?

meant to help keep things cooler and help stop the rotor from warping when things get hot

i’m running a pare of 180mm with avid codes no issues

windydave13
    Free Member

deviant – which shimano brakes have you got?

I’m looking at trying to fit them to some old M755 but very reluctant to, if i’m going to have to start making mods to the caliper 🙄

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

They make an ace ticking noise when cooling down

deviant
    Free Member

Windydave, they’re Shimano M575 brakes.

windydave13
    Free Member

Cheers fella. I might just give it a whirl and see. They can always go on the already bodged singlespeed!!

zangolin
    Free Member

hungry monkey – Member
    the bolts/rivets that connect the inner spider to the outer rotor sit proud of everything else
    my hope ones were like this too

Yep – Hope floaters can have the same issues with the ‘floating rivet’ not clearing on certain callipers.

It’s a simple fix with only a tiny amount of filing required – which won’t mess up up your brakes.

Wozza
    Free Member

There’s not a massive difference between them and shimano, I wouldn’t bother, tbh the superstar ones look rubbish.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Superstar floating rotors – any one used/rate them??’ is closed to new replies.