Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • superstar componets BB? any good
  • wassell99
    Free Member

Hi there
    My hollowtech 2 bb has died and was looking for a replacement.
    The Superstar components seem to be good value. Has anyone used them (or anything else for that matter) or jus get an XT?

any thoughts?

Cheers

Lee

sc-xc

You'll need a special fitting tool

Baldysquirt

They're alright, but I've found the XT to last a good deal longer. All things considered, the XT seems much better value.

whyter

Mine seized (from new) after 2 rides. I blame the octopuses.

Kahurangi

Mine was dead after 4 rides. Apparently it was the bike's fault. MY 2 XT's have lasted a year each so far.

MrOvershoot

They are not quality items, but I just bought one for a spare set of cups that I could fit new bearings into.
    After fitting new bearings & plenty of grease to stop moisture ingress my SS unit has lasted 2 years despite being ridden mostly in the winter

mrelectric

I got some with a good deal on a crankset 1 1/2 yr ago.Cranks good & light still going, rings soft but ok for 8 months. BB didn't last long & so was rubbish IMO. Got Hope which have run for 14 months or so. Save your cash and time and get a decent unit.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

1.5 rides for mine. I'd have been happier with either 1 ride or 2 rides, but being stuck in the middle of a ride with a knackered SUPERSTAR bottom bracket – well, nuff said. Oh – the customer service (in the broadest sense of the word) was appalling too.

Buy anything other than one of theirs.

timwillows
    Free Member

Cheaper than XT, but much shorter life – not cheap enough to make them worthwhile

Xylene
    Free Member

I've seen superstar wheels recommended on other forums, they have some cheap ones on offer just now, 89 quid, but I've never really heard of them which makes me wary.

Is the company as a whole a bit naff or is it just certain components?

Nick

Bloody hell I thought that 329 miles out of mine was bad, maybe I got vfm afterall compared to some of those mentioned above! Have it all packed up ready to go back to SS for a refund/replacement.

Oh and one of their pads fell off the backing the other day too, thought this had been fixed.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

just avoid them, I've finaly given up on them after being told that somehow every component failiure, or that it just plain doesnt fit in the case of brake pads is somehow my fault.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Deore bb is £17 on crc and an XT is £27

why chose any different?

khani
    Free Member

mate of mine had one, looked pimpy but the bearings are made out of cheese i think

gonetothehills
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – you and me both. I wouldn't normally be inflamatory (sp?) about these things – people make mistakes, stuff breaks, things go wrong, we all make cock ups from time to time – it's just that their attitude stank to such a degree, I have no qualms in doing it. Buy cheap, buy twice (and get a free walk home for good measure!) 😕

tthew

Rubbish in my experience. Outer seals are hopeless. Lasted a couple of months through the summer year before last, then 1 filthy race and they were goosed. I'm not a Superstar hater either, I like the brake pads and have bought tools and other stuff, but would never buy another BB.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Is the company as a whole a bit naff or is it just certain components?

pedals: mostly ace. nano's are identical to nukeproof and kona wah wah but cost loads less.
    grips: identical to everyone except odi/raceface/cane creek but way cheaper.
    ss bits: identical to loads of others but cheaper.
    chain device: jury still out but way cheaper than posh brands.
    bottom brackets: good if you want to colour match your cups by putting some properly sealed bearings in them, otherwise not worth it.
    everything else: veeeeeerrrrry mixed reviews!

customer service/online reputation: dire!
    face to face: nice friendly bloke, and donated loads of prizes to the Big Bike Bash last year.

oli2001
    Free Member

i must be the exception but i've had good experience with the bb's. i fitted em to both my bikes. so far 8-10 months including commuting through winter. i had some advice to lift the seals and put a load of grease in before using them. seems to have worked,

nickc

customer service/online reputation: dire!

To be fair, that's only on here though really.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘superstar componets BB? any good’ is closed to new replies.