Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Superstar components – good or bad?
  • therealhoops
    Free Member

they seem to good to be true, £15 for 4 packs of pads!!! and good looking wheelsets for £160!!

Is it a case of buy cheap buy twice or are they a hidden gem?

*pulls up chair and pours whisky*

coogan
    Free Member

Jeez. You new here? Never used 'em myself, but never will after all the horror stories not to mention the owner being an idiotic moron and slagging other products off under a different name. Do a search.

duckers
    Free Member

Bad. Mostly. Maybe they have got their act together now.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

*pulls up a chair next to TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR and pours a tot as well*

DT78
    Free Member

I am using their pads and have done for the last year no problems, also got nano tech pedals on 2 of the bikes, again no problems and great value. I can't vouch for other bits and bobs. I have seen quite a lot of hate threads about superstar, but from me I've only had good experiences.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

8)

nuke

An SSC wheelset got an ST recommendation in the latest magazine!

*passes neil a smoke*

firestarter
    Free Member

i have their pads and just got some of the bolt thru qrs no problems at all with them and quick delivery too

Smee
    Free Member

Pulls up a stool at the bar and gets ready for a session on the absinthe. Nuts?

Alcopop
    Free Member

I have one of there GTO headsets works fine no prob's at all
    never tried the brake pads but the prices seem good

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Always been happy with their service and for the price their pads work out better value than originals

br
    Free Member

no probs for me, order pads whenever he has a deal on – in fact I've a 4 pack winging its way to me

bananaworld
    Free Member

Help out the n00bs: why the propping-up of the bar and the bandying-about of troll accusations?

Junkyard
    Free Member

pours large whiskey, passes crisp around and begins googling for you know what pictures 😉

OK NOOBs

Neil/Fruit/who did he pretend he was again TANGO?
    has in the past slagged of his customers on here and pretended to be other people to big up his own products.
    His first lot of pads were cr@p but are probably OK now – I do use them.
    His customer service is second to EVERYONE even Chinese ebay shops.
    He is rude and obnoxious …though endlessly funny if you are not the one on the recieiving end of his dismal service
    Most of his stuff seems to break fairly quickly and he blames you. Iirc the BB failed on the test ride on the STW test, the seat dropper broke just after the review.
    We bate him now with Octopr0n for reasons too obscure and unimportant to mention
    They are cheap but frankly so is he.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Been using their pads for a couple of years with absolutely no problems 🙂
    However the bloke behind of SSC has got right up the nose of some of the more eminent posters here (and more importantly there —–>) and you'll be very hard pressed to get an unbiased verdict.

[Tannoy] TJ to the thread please, and rally the mleh-rites [/Tannoy]

bodger
    Free Member

pad life loads better (formula oro), there's a guide out here (sierra nevada) using their cranks, double & bash with no problems. Although he does use a shimano bb.

jonb
    Free Member

Most of the stuff I've bought has been fine. A headset, v brake pads and a few other bits and pieces. He did give me some of the disc brake pads that came from the bad batch. That was a while ago now and I've not heard any problems with the pads since then.

Wheels are reviewed on bikeradar IIRC.

His idea is similar to many other small companies how I see it in that he buys things out of the far east and gets them branded with the superstar logo undercutting the bigger operators. So some of the stuff isn't exclusive to him and other people do sell it with other logos. Sometimes the same price, often much higher. On balance he did dig a big hole for himself on here with his antics.

DT78
    Free Member

Something I noticed was a some of the kit from closer inspection appears to also be priced a lot higher on CRC and branded as nuke proof…

therealhoops
    Free Member

I wasn't troll baiting, honnest. I'm mega skint but need new wheels so thought I go and 'ave a look after reading the review in t'mag.
    Junkyard -got any salt'n'vinegar?
    My stash of spares has finally run out so it looks like I'll have to sit out until Father Christmas empties his sack in my direction. I need to spend my beans wisely so I'd rather go for the Hope Pro 2's than buy something twice from SSC.

cheers all

scraprider
    Free Member

been using there sinterd pads no probs, proof will be if i have any probs i suppose,all good so far.

Lummox

Been using the sintered pads from ss in all my hopes and julie brakes, no complaints from about 3-4 years of use. Just ordered some more, quick delivery.

No grumbles here, agreed some of the advertising/discrediting methods felt a little dirty.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Last set of pads from superstar didnt last 5 mins, just boughts some compound pads od fleabay, wish I had some malt…just gonna have to stick to the wine insead.

Oh the superstar ajustable seatposts are expensive junk too.

sc-xc

It's obvious that DT78mi©kAlcopoptheLittlestHobobrbodgerjonbscrapriderLummox is fruit

jonb
    Free Member

Mega skint, need wheels, try Merlin. XT hubs and mavic rims for less than £150.

AlasdairMc

Sintered pads have been excellent for me, but I did also have major problems with the first batch of pads I got from them.

I wouldn't touch any of the other stuff though, heard appalling reviews and I'm not an engineer so can't fit them myself

doh
    Free Member

SS pads through ebay for my trailstokers where nice and cheap, 4 pairs for about the price of 1 original set. they just didnt work very well, do you want your probably expensive nice brakes not to work as well as they should. fine if your trails are flat and you dont like going fast i suppose??

(yes i did heat them up with lots of breaking and "sizzling" them as per instructions, what a load of toss!)

sv

Running sintered SSC pads on my two bikes no problems. Found the kevlar ones glazed over easily. Also have a QR front hub and it's running well. Oh yes a 900i recently added! I sound like Tango himself 😉

(Note to self: stop buying so many SSC)

Drac

Using SSC pads and they've been excellent even more so for the price. However, I have been put off some what by his attitude and technique on here for slagging off other manufactures.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

snaps
    Free Member

IRB BB lasted OK for 10 months until I sold the bike but would you risk losing your brakes just to save a few quid?

grumm
    Free Member

ould you risk losing your brakes just to save a few quid?

The pads are fine. I used some for the Megavalanche and I am still using them now. The nano tech flat pedals are really good too.

MS
    Free Member

Had headsets, skewers, pads, BB's and other bits and pieces from them. Can't fault them at all, i mean its not top range stuff but its cheap and for me its worked very well.

Drac

Not lost my brakes, they're still there and stop me when I need them to.

I've had branded ones fall out and fail on me.

marsdenman
    Free Member

am i allowed to say I've not had a problem with my SSC brake pads, or is that against the rules 😀

gee
    Free Member

The Superleggera hubs are the same as the Halo Superdrive ones, which we've been using for 2 years with no issues.

GB

Northwind

Flippinheckler, "Oh the superstar ajustable seatposts are expensive junk too."

There's no such thing as a Superstar adjustable seatpost, they're resellers for the KS seatpost, with no hand in the design or manufacture. Not that they aren't expensive junk, but they're still expensive junk if you buy them from Leisurelakes or Forest Leisure.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

in slight mitigation, Superstar sintered pads seem to last as long as Shimano ones, but are much cheaper

scraprider
    Free Member

So why do they only last for 5 mins ,as I said no probs at all with mine.

Posted via my iPhone

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Superstar components – good or bad?’ is closed to new replies.