Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Supermarket Islay Malts…
  • outofbreath
    Free Member

Anyone recommend a *current*[1] Supermarket own brand Islay malt. I like a bit peaty but not the Laphroig mouth full of ash experience…

[1] I assume they change source a lot.

chakaping
    Free Member

Had the Asda one recently.

It’s probably just what you want. Definitely an Islay but not harsh or too rich.

Bit of a short finish and lacked character but it’s not bad for the money.

peter1979
    Free Member

Why a supermarket own brand one? Caol Ila is just under 40 quid and available in supermarkets and is a really good islay.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Thanks Chakaping, that’s exactly the kind of first hand info I was looking for.

firestarter
    Free Member

I’ve not tried any but when I was over in islay doing whisky tours a rep at Bowmore told me while in the pub that at the time the asda islay was bowmore and due to the legality of labelling and selling single malt that all supermarket single malt islay was made by one of the big boys on islay it just depended on who had the deal at the min he mentioned Bowmore and call Ila as the main supermarket players due to the quantity they produce

RudiBoy
    Free Member

Aldi… 18 quid. Havent tried it but it has won a taste award.

simonbowns
    Free Member

I bought the Aldi Islay last year (so it may have changed since) and it was more than worth the gamble.

chakaping
    Free Member

The asda one isn’t nearly as nice as standard bowmore so don’t get your hopes up too much.

😉

el_boufador

I bought an aldi Speyside at the weekend, good for 17 quid!

ados
    Free Member

Was going to suggest Bowmore 12 yr old as an alternative that would fit the bill!

firestarter
    Free Member

Just to add he did say it varies from time to time who is actually supplying at the time as the distilleries had bigger priorities than supermarket supply and supermarkets shopped around all the time for better prices

Apparently you can often tell the supplier from the bottle it comes as it’s bottled by the distillery

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

Also have the Aldi Islay one not bad not to peaty but enough to get the taste buds going and best of all only £17 so well worth a punt

outofbreath
    Free Member

Thanks, fatsimon, sounds exactly right.

Thanks for all the other useful comments too. Some interesting stuff.

Spin
    Free Member

Why a supermarket own brand one? Caol Ila is just under 40 quid and available in supermarkets and is a really good islay.

Because not everyone can afford or wants to spend 40 quid on a bottle of Whisky?

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ll check that Aldi one out too I think.

Don’t seem to see as many decent (£25-ish) deals on the proper stuff these days, eh?

johnners
    Free Member

Don’t seem to see as many decent (£25-ish) deals on the proper stuff these days, eh?

I suppose it depends where you’re looking. Bowmore, Laphroaig 10 and Laphroaig Select are all £25 in Tesco at the moment. A fair few other single malts are too. Unfortunately there never seems to be a deal on Ardbeg or Lagavulin.

edit – a quick look online throws up at least 20 single malts at £25 or lower. And £37 for Ardbeg, which is about as much of a deal on that as I’ve seen for a while.

Earl
    Free Member

Tried the Aldi islay 9 months ago. Didn’t like it at all. But if they are constantly changing suppliers I’ll give it another bash.

ASDA seamed fine for £20 – been through about 6 bots now.

Lagavulin – bought a double neat round for a few boys last week. They couldn’t believe how nice it was. Definitely one of those you get what you pay for items. Although I wish it was a lot lot cheaper!

StuF

Anyone tried the Lidl Islay one at £55? Looked nicely boxed but obviously that doesn’t count for much.

chakaping
    Free Member

edit – a quick look online throws up at least 20 single malts at £25 or lower.

OK I admit I only pop in Asda or Tesco once a month or so, as Aldi and Lidl are closer.

Might need to grab some Bowmore and Laphroaig at £25 then, ta.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

there is a supermarkets spirits megathread on hotukdeals which is worth keeping an eye on, has a spreadsheet updated weekly with the best deals.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/mega-thread-list-supermarket-deals-for-alcohol-vodka-rum-whisky-others-2015-1702213

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Supermarket Islay Malts…’ is closed to new replies.