Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Superlight – discontinued?
  • WillC9999
    Free Member

I heard a rumour that SC were stopping making the SL. Can this possibly be true? The best XC bike ever forged? It would be a sad day.

honourablegeorge

They just launched a 29er version – wouldn’t surprise if that took a lot of the sales from the old one, it’s that type of bike.

WillC9999
    Free Member

I wondered about that. But I’m not convinced about 29ers. 26ers are more nimble.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    shortcut

‘Best xc bike ever forged’ You sure?

They were good but not light and not that good. Yes, I did have one but it was heavy, only had one usable bottle mount an went through shock bushes at a fair rate. Also the design was a bit dated.

WillC9999
    Free Member

Totally sure 🙂
    Yes, Superlight wasn’t really the right name, but you can build it lightish. And it is utterly solid. And if you like the feedback of the single pivot over a VP-style design (like I do) and the simple mud clearance beauty of it all… Maybe I am a romantic but I just don’t want another bike.

mokl
    Free Member

I love mine, but have to agree with the comments about weight and the rate of shock bushing wear. Needed a PUSH tune on the shock to get the most out of it for me too as well. Still my favourite bike of the ones I’ve owned though. It would be sad if they discontinued it; would be nice if they could update it a bit, but perhaps there isn’t room in their slightly burgeoning range now…

mokl
    Free Member

Just to add, it does seem to pick up and hold speed lovely on twisty singletrack sections and climbs.

WillC9999
    Free Member

Totally agree about holding speed. It feels like a mini-DH bike – straight and solid. You are right about bush wear – but more so than other bikes? Am thinking of getting the upgraded TFT bush to increase the interval.

rOcKeTdOg

But I’m not convinced about 29ers. 26ers are more nimble

😀

xcstu
    Free Member

Have had a superlight for many years.. the newer shape freshened its looks and still rode well but as a few say… not as light as hoped and always wished they did the carbon make over on this model and not the blur/nomad.. that said I also said fair well to the superlight and have just jumped ship to a carbon full sus… lighter, stiff, faster!!!

thepodge
    Free Member

Aren’t they doing something with the Nickel and Butcher too?

TheSwede
    Free Member

Yep, Nickel and Butcher finished too.

fadda

Good time to sell a 2011 Superlight in large flavour then…? 😉

CaptainSlow

The SL was good in its day and with a decent shock still a great bike even now. It did feel like a quick bike, great in the singletrack.
    My only complaint was the flex, for something not light I thought the rear end a bit too flexy (I had a number of 5s before).

thepodge
    Free Member

3 bikes potentially gone from their line up, that’s a serious cull

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Back in the day it was a great bike, now against modern bikes its average at an inflated price.

WillC9999
    Free Member

Butcher is heavier duty I think; and Nickle heavier and a bit cheaper?
    I know it’s dated, but what do folk think offered equivalent simplicity and fun? I am talking single pivot swing arm, lightish and tough.

ratherbeintobago

All three are still on their website.

Andy

mikewsmith
    Free Member

is this anything apart from internet banter??

dirtyrider
    Free Member

maybe on the website, but have been discounted

is the blur xcc going as well? reduced on stif

shinsplints

I just got hold of what, i believe, is the last large nickel in lime green in the country. Apparantly SC cannot keep up with production demands of their carbon stuff so these 3 got knocked on the head.
    I@d love to tell you what the Nickel rides like but I broke my wrist a week after I got it & am now just looking at it sat there 🙁

dirtyrider
    Free Member

is this anything apart from internet banter??

no,

superlight is being replaced with a 29er version

here

Butcher and Nickel are issues with the APP

druidh
    Free Member

3 models is hardly a serious cull given that we now have both alloy and carbon versions of the Highball, the Tallboy and the Superlight 29er (see the pattern here?)

druidh
    Free Member

The Blur at Stif is the 2011 model IIRC.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

its the current model with tapered headtube,

druidh
    Free Member

Ah – there was an even cheaper one for a while £1,199 or thereabouts.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

£999 for some XLs at bikescene?

druidh
    Free Member

That’s the biscuit!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

mad price really, i got £1k for my used 2009 blur xcc a month back

shinsplints

Butcher and Nickel are issues with the APP

Care to elaborate ?

shinsplints

ah, thought you meant tech issues. Relieved as I just bought a Nickel ! 🙂

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Superlight – discontinued?’ is closed to new replies.