Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • super light 'cafe locks'
  • ibnchris

I’m guessing nobody carries a massive great D lock with them when they’re out in the hills or pounding out those road miles…So what do you do when you’re riding solo and want to stop off to pick up cakes etc.

I’ve been thinking about getting one of these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10868

It says it’s only 100g and it’s got an alarm if some little scrot tries to break it.

Waste of time or handy deterrent? Anyone use anything better?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My bike either gets a proper lock or it does not go out of my sight

joeydeacon
    Free Member

cjla8ok from Russia says

?????????? ?? ????????????,??? ??????????.??????? ???????? ? ??????? ????????? ?? ????,????? ???? ????? ??????? ?????? ????? ? ????? ?????? ????????? ????? ??????????,????? ???? ????? ???????? ????????? ,??????? ?????? ? ???????? ???? ?? ??????? ???????????,?? ????? ???????????? ??? ?? ????????????? ?? ????,?? ?????? ??????????? ??????.??????????,????? ???????? ?? ??????? ??????,??????? ??????? ??????????? ?????? ? ???,??? ??? ?????????? ? ????? ???????.??? ??????? ???????? ???????? ??????????? ????? ??????????????? ??????,?????? 5 ?????? ???????? ???????? ,??? ??? ????????? ?????????.???? ? ??????????? ??????? ??????????? ??? ??????? ?? ??????,?????? ????? ???????.? ????????? ?????-??????? ??? ????????. ???? ?????????? -?????? ??? ? ????? ??? ?? ???? ???.????? ?????????????? 3 ????? ? 4? ????????? ? ?????????? ??????,??????? ???????????.???????? ????????? 3 ????? ? ?????????? ????? ? ?????????? ??????,????? ????? ?????????,???????? ????????? ???? ,?????????? ??? ? ???? ? ?????? ???????.???? ???? ?????????,??? ??? ?????? ?????????? ??? ????? ??????? ? ??????????? ?????? ?? ?????????.

So there you have it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Same as TJ.

Just not worth the effort of carrying something that can be cut with a pair of pliers.

EDIT
    I recently did some work on hack bike for a friend who’d rescued it from the tip. Round the headstock were 2 reasonable looking cable locks (and no keys.)
    I was utterly stunned how easy it was to remove them: I literally used a normal pair of pliers, and not even much pressure.

There’s no way on earth I’d leave a bike locked up with anything other than a good quality d-lock.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Very occasionally I have used a good padlock thru the chainring – jus so in the pub I can go to the bar when the bike is out of my sight for a couple of minutes

SamB
    Free Member

I like the looks of this:

MSP

I use one of these, clearly wouldn’t stop a determined thief, or probably not even a child with a pair of plastic scissors, but hopefully enough to deter an opportunist thief.

http://abus.de/us/main.asp?ScreenLang=us&sid=867611110152348040520111921713126&select=0104b07&artikel=4003318429217

Tracker1972
    Free Member

That kickstarter thing looks interesting…

simon_g

I use a snowboard lock which is just a thin cable – as said, could be snipped with a pair of pliers but it’s really just to deter the (very) casual thief.

psychle
    Free Member

Might even make a pledge to that TiGr thing, looks like a really good idea & product!

crispedwheel
    Free Member

My bike either gets a proper lock or it does not go out of my sight

this

jonba
    Free Member

You can buy rucksack locks that are retractable and compact. I think the company is lifeventure. As above no use to a determined thief but will stop someone picking up your bike and walking off with it unless they came tooled up. When riding solo I don’t stop or leave my bike where I can see it while queing then sit outside with it. Most places I ride are fairly remote and everyone else there seems to have arrived by bike anyway.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Really small oxford cable lock, about 40cm long and 7mm thick cable. Just enough to lock the frame to a drainpipe while I nip in for cake and pop.

PJay
    Free Member

I’m afraid that I do carry a dirty great D-Lock (Kryptonite New York) in my back pack; it’s a real lump. It might be a bit overkill but I like to stop off places and have a wander around when I’m out cycling and am a bit paranoid about having my bike nicked.

I probably ought to look for something a tad lighter though.

SamB
    Free Member

Alternatively – this looks more compact, and you could probably attach round your seat post without noticing it:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/locks/product/review-master-lock-street-cuff-10508/

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It depends.

My contents insurance covers all my bikes to their full value against theft away from the home – only if locked to an “immovable object”. But the policy terms are unspecific about the quality of lock.

I hate to leave my bikes vulnerable, and rarely need to for more than a few minutes. Then by fitting just a light cable lock, I know that I can afford to replace the bikes when they are stolen.

brooess
    Free Member

Don’t let my MTB out of my sight.
    Generally if I stop I’m half way thru a ride anyway so it’s a moot point cos I’ll be in the middle of nowhere.
    For road rides I have one of those ABus things. Very light and small and great for keeping the opportunists away at the cafe stop

alpin
    Free Member

had a guy on tour a few weeks back who was using a rape alarm with a wire ski/snowboard lock. unfortunately i didn’t see it in use but seems like agood idea for short stops.

Zoolander
    Free Member

http://www.hiplok.com/view/

Quite fancy checking these out

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Oddly enough i was looking into asking the same question as my order for a Knog Milkman cafe lock got cancelled earlier this week (they are something like six months late now and CRC have dropped them).

Currently carry a kryptonite flex type lock when out as the bike is never out of my sight for more than a trip into a shop/pub but wanted something much lighter for taking hack bike into town to pick stuff up. May look at one of those abus locks.

druidh
    Free Member

At the weekend just gone, three of us were out for a longish ride and stopped for something to eat. We couldn’t take the bikes into the restaurant, so we used a cheapo, magazine “give-way” lock which I normally carry to tie the three bikes together, and then sat inside. As we were eating, some young ned ran up to the bikes and tried to take one. As they were joined, he failed and ran off.

Moral: even the simplest of solutions will foil the opportunist.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘super light 'cafe locks'’ is closed to new replies.