Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Super gentle off-road ride in Yorkshire… ideally with a pub at the end
  • TomHill
    Free Member

Girlfriend is really keen to try mountain biking. She is a complete beginner, and hasn't ridden since she was a child. We've got her up to speed on actually being able to ride again, but now I'd like to take her out on her 1st "proper" ride.

She's not overly keen on anything rough or steep at the moment. Think the best way to describe it would be "going for a walk in the country, but with bikes". Can anyone recommend anywhere that would suit the bill? Maybe up to 10miles tops, relatively flat, probably a fairly good surface… and with a liquid incentive in the middle/at the end?

I was thinking the Dalby green route around Adderstone as a back up. Never ridden it, but assume it'll just be fireroad?

meehaja
    Free Member

Ogden resevoir near halifax?Flat, bit bumpy in places, some cheeky trails in the woods to one side. Not sure about pub, but there was an ice cream van last time I was there?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Black Hambleton, and drop down into Osmotherly??

Start at The Visitors centre at the top of Sutton Bank??

TomHill
    Free Member

I've not ridden Ogden since about 1996! It was good fun on my Marin Palisades Trail… Will have to go back, either with the other half, or just by myself!

Filthy
    Free Member

There's an old railway line that runs round rosedale… very flat and easy, I'd also reccommend the Lion on Blakey ridge as a starting point.

midlifecrashes

Yorkshire is a big place, I'd be thinking along the lines of a Sustrans route at this stage of her riding. Reservoir routes can be good too, but there's always a headwind for half of it which might be offputting. Where's your start point?

TomHill
    Free Member

Midlifecrashes – we're in Leeds, but happy to drive for a couple of hours and make a daytrip of it. Will check the Sustrans website

jlc
    Free Member

How about the canal path into orout of Leeds towards Bingley. The other alternative is around the Harewood Estate, but that is hilly in places.

drdjpower

What Filthy says. Flat, tame, and pretty, but avoid if it's windy. Start at the Lion, or park at the top of Chimney Bank above Rosedale abbey and cycle to the Lion. The BW along the top West edge of the Moors, North from Sutton Bank, is easy in the dry (grim and sticky in the wet) and has good views, but you'd have to drop down (then crawl back up) to get to a pub, I think. Fortunately it's never wet or windy in Yorkshire.

Or the BW over the top East from Rylstone (pain/push up), but long flowing downhill to Bolton Abbey, pub, gated minor road back. A bit more than 10 miles, I'd guess.

midlifecrashes

Well to the north you've got Golden Acre Park and to the south Newmillerdam to name two close enough for evening trips. Then there's the canal towpaths and a couple of nice flattish routes round the reservoirs between Leeds and Wakefield.

Philby

How about Otley Chevin, starting and finishing at the Royalty – there's a few bridleways that you can link up. Or there's a few routes near Golden Acre and you could you could have a beer at the New Inn (?) Eccup which can be linked with Harewood.

uplink
    Free Member

as said above

You can't really go wrong riding out from the Lion Inn & around to Bloworth Crossing & back

10 miles of gentle double track with great views & a great pub at the beginning/end

mrsflash
    Free Member

Captain, there's a nice route round Eccup / Harewood that might be suitable?

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Gisburn Blue starting at the Dog and Partridge at Tosside…(??spellings)

ajf
    Free Member

my wife was fine with Eccup and Harewood. Nice and easy but does have the odd hill. Pub in Harewood as well.

Also for Leeds there is some stuff near Roundhay, Temple Newsam and parts of the Meanwood trail. All pretty easy stuff.

Email in profile if you want more details on these

Keep recommendations coming though as I am in the same situation and running out of wife ride ideas.

taka
    Free Member

there's 2 pubs at Ogden

TomHill
    Free Member

Thank you so much for all the suggestions. Like the sound of the Eccup/Harewood combo. Has been a while since I've been out there on a bike. I'm Chapel Allerton, but tend to stick to the MVT out to Adel jumps, and Roundhay ridge for my local rides.

I'll dig the map out. Up hills are fine, as are gentle downs. Steeper stuff isn't too much fun for her, but if it is really short we can always walk those bits.

TomHill
    Free Member

Can feel a couple of solo "research" rides coming on over the next couple of weeks too! Aw shucks. More riding!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Super gentle off-road ride in Yorkshire… ideally with a pub at the end’ is closed to new replies.