Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Super Exciting 1×11 Advice!!
  • johnw1984
    Free Member

Right!

Now I’ve got your attention 🙂

Converting mine and Wife’s bike to 1×11 (from 1×10) at the end of the month. Any opinions on the below. I’ve narrowed it down to two options, or any suggestions welcome.

£216 ish option
    Rear Mech: SLX 11 speed
    Cassette: Shimano XT
    Shifter: XTR

£180ish option
    Rear Mech: Sram GX
    Cassette: Sunrace MX8 11-42
    Shifter: Sram GX

Which ever 11 speed chain suits for both really. Reckon the first option is worth the extra over Sram?

Northwind

Can you try the shifters? They have fairly different feel (as does the XT). SLX rear mech seems to be only a couple of quid less than XT, since it’s newer…

Do you have the option of switching to an XD freehub? It does add cost but it also adds range . The GX cassette is a little more expensive but not much

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    I’ve just done a similar thing but bought second hand but nearly new XTR shifter and XT rear mech and new XT cassette
    £150 cost
    Cheers
    Steve

johnw1984
    Free Member

Thing is, I’d need to buy 2 x XD freehubs and I’m not sure If I can get one for Missus’ wheels.

I do like my X7 shifter currently, but I’ve never tried XTR either (tried other Shimano).

I like the positive click and feel of Sram shifters, but I guess XTR are on a different level?

That’s not bad going Steve, but I’ll be buying everything double for both of us 🙂

johnw1984
    Free Member

I know it’s boring, but anyone else care to weigh in with wisdom? 🙂

weeksy

Yeah,

Leave it as 1×10

jamj1974

To me new XTR’s feel more like older school SRAM. Just fitted mine and from a single ride it seems that the shift is very rapid but has that kind of ‘clunky yet precise’ thing going on.

I’ve not tried XT properly but imagine they would feel similar. I would be tempted to go XT mech and shifter. The XTR shifter is nice but not as nice as they used to be. The barrel adjusters feel like Alivio…

My XT cassette is very hefty at 11-42! If SLX isn’t a lot heavier consider going for an SLX level instead.

Tracey

If cost is an issue my choice would be to shop around and pick up the cheapest XT mech, XT shifter and 11-46 XT cassette.

Or leave the original stuff on yours and treat her to SRAM X01

That’s what usually happens in our house

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’d go Shimano with the Sunrace cassette, since they’re only about £55 on ebay for one from the UK.

jamj1974

The 11-46 weighs a ton!

legend
    Free Member

weeksy – Member

Yeah,

Leave it as 1×10

£65 Option:
    Sunrace 11-42t
    One-Up Rad Cage (optional)

Tracey

It may do but when I had one in one hand and the 11-42 XT in the other, it was hard to tell the difference weight wise.

daver27
    Free Member

in my opinion having used XT m8000 and owned XTR m9000 since it came out, XT has a nicer shifter feel, so unles you really want carbon shift levers, save the money, XT is way nicer to use.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Thanks for all the useful advice. Seems popular opinion that XT is just as good as XTR really then?

Probably a good idea to just get XT shifter and mech with a Sunrace cassette? The only thing putting me off the XT shifter is the big sodding indicator window. Guess I can buy the blanking plate for them.

Tracey, she already gets all my quality hand-me-downs! She’s fast enough without posh X01 🙂

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

Should now come with blanking plate. Mine did but it was fully boxed.

orangespyderman

The only thing putting me off the XT shifter is the big sodding indicator window.

Not sure which one you’re after but my i-spec B doesn’t have a window. I think only the non-i-spec ones have the window, presumably because people who don’t buy Shimano brakes must be a bit dim and so need a visual clue as to what gear they’re in 😉

Seriously, I don’t know why.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Hehe, sadly I think I’ll need bar mounted. Guess I’ll have to see if it comes in the box, if not, then it’s only a couple of quid I suppose.

Oh don’t worry! There will be a what brake thread in the next 6 months to look forward to 🙂

Double now that I’ve just acquired a hard tail frame to build up!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Super Exciting 1×11 Advice!!’ is closed to new replies.